Capt. Frank Hopkins

Default trucking

What about charging them for "stopped time" @ $150/hr. If they don't
pay, drop it in their credit file.

Capt. Frank

Doug Kanter wrote:

How about eliminating routes which are unprofitable or where regulatory fees
are too high? What about working with a truck broker who can keep you away
from delivery points where they waste your drivers' time with appointments
they don't honor?

Capt. Frank Hopkins

Not a damn thing. And not even noted OT. But new guy is just that.

Lawrence James wrote:

What does thisi have to do with boating??????????

"The new guy" wrote in message
e.rogers.com...

I have a trucking company and everyone that i talk to that is in this line
of bussines is not happy. We have to deal with a ton of rules and
regulations (DOT, MTO, 48 States, 10 Provinces each one with their own
rules), stupid overpaid drivers (making $13-15 hundreed per week in their
pocket), wrecking your equipment, frying loads or tipping over trailer,
insurance companies ripping our shirts off (I pay about 15'000.00 per

truck

per year, that's like 12-13 hundreed per month! and if you have a claim

you

get kicked out! I'm a small company (5 trucks), the company is worth

about

$600'000.00, with this kind of dough invested i make enough to pay all the
leaches out there (ripoff repairs-last year an engine cost me 22'000.00$;
tires at 300-600$ a pop; loans; insurance $6300.00 per month;
drivers-$24'000.00) so every month i make what? like $90'000.00, this is
ninety thousand dollars per month!!!, Now, I don't drink, I don't do

drugs,

I don't drive a fancy car, I have 6 other people helping me with the
operations of the company, they don't steal from me (I know for sure as I
get paid with cheques and the accounting is independent-ha! another gi a
month! f....ing leach!).
My credit cards are maxed out all the time (I have an outstanding credit,
but f...ing stressfull), my bank account is constantly dry: 90 in 90

out...

What is that I am doing wrong?
I have my own mechanic (it saves me around 10 gis a month in road repairs

as

oposed to previous years, and I have a good maintenace program)
Got my own warehouse (pays for itself) but I lease (can't come up with the
fricking down payment!)
I fired 4 employees last year to cut on salaries (now, the ones that are
left have more to do, so they have a full 8 hr days, so what?!, pay them
more...still saves me couple of gi's a week)
So why I can't get out of debt ( $400'000.00 and counting)?
If I sell my equipment I will pay off only part of what I owe and probably
end up with a debt of 50-60 grand (because the equipment is already
depreciated), at least now I have some cash flow...
Does anybody know what is there to do? Any good busines ideas, I don't
know...like a restaurant or a massage parlour...anything, just something.

The New Guy

Capt. Frank Hopkins

Hi New Guy,
Welcome to REC BOATS. One thing that will get you flamed in this group
is unmarked off-topic posts. Please mark posts that are not related to
boating as OT. For instance. OT Trucking as you subject line will make
the posts appropriate.

As far as a magic bullet for improving business, I am sorry, If I had
one, I would shoot myself! I am partners in a boat charter / rental
company. We offer on-the-water entertainment for those that like boats
but have no time to own one.

We did show a profit this year, but not as much as we had hoped. It is
only our 3rd year in business. We managed to show this profit while
other charter companies were going out of business. We diversify and use
our assets in as broad a spectrum as possible.

For instance, one part does "romance cruises" while another group is
fishing, or we rent a couple of houseboats "dockside" for parties ect.

During the winter months, we haul out, perform maintenance, and train
our personnel. I think the modest investment in training has reduced our
liability, made safer Captains and crews, and that is why our insurance
rates a a little lower.

We conserve fuel too. The boats don't idle at docks or anchorage for
hours. We use a 15 minuet warm up from cold start. After that only 3 or
4 minuets. When the anchor drops, the mains engines are killed and the
APU (generator) is started to provide electrical power. When trolling,
we troll on one engine only. (alternate between engines to keep the
hobbs balanced.)

There are ways you can curb costs in business without firing loyal crew,
and that makes them all the more loyal. Let me clue you, employee
loyalty is priceless. But! It is a knife with 2 edges. You have to give
in order to get. You handed out any bonuses this year?

Capt. Frank

The new guy wrote:

Most of you guys asked what this has to do with boating. I guess nothing....
I can tell you: sadly enough, I was out last year to buy my self a boat.
Looking for something big and comfy, where I could take my whole family.
Maybe spend around 20 thousand...well, it still a dream....
I figure that people that own boats must be ok financially, so I thought to
my self, let me put this ad in this group and perhaps someone will come up
with an idea or share a success story or give some advise.
Thank you Doug Kanter for your advise, and belive me that I have done that
already, most truckers get on price to go and a different one to come back,
my trucks go and come back for the same price. Before the loads are booked
it is understood that detention time will be paid at reveivers if they are
not quick unloading...this is a tough industry and if you in it you must be
tough too.
So, what is that you guys have done that I have not?
The New Guy

jps

In article 7vDsb.134269$mZ5.924405@attbi_s54,
says...

Obviously you aren't.

Didn't you write a post to me about "getting a life?"

Hmmm...

JohnH

On Wed, 12 Nov 2003 22:33:10 GMT, "Lawrence James"
wrote:

What does thisi have to do with boating??????????

"The new guy" wrote in message
le.rogers.com...
[...]

Go after military retirees. They already get a check, so you can probably pay
them less. They retired from the military, so they have had some sense of
responsibility, and it's for sure they understand maintenance (or should). Let
the drivers know that when their truck is in the shop, they don't get paid.
Maybe this will instill some sense of responsibility. Get yourself a systems
analyst for a couple months to look at your operation and see if there are
savings or efficiencies you could be taking advantage of.

Lastly, end all of your posts with something about boats, even if it's only a
question like, "Which is better, a 33 foot Grady White or a 33 foot Bayliner if
money is no object?"

John
On the 'Poco Loco' out of Deale, MD
Rick

wrote:

What does thisi have to do with boating??????????

"The new guy" wrote in message
ble.rogers.com...

[...]

No contest Grady White!