Bill Kiene

Default Lead/acid batteries this winter

My RV guy said that I should checked the fluid level and charged my battery
once a month. Boats should be the same.

I also learned that you should charge your deep cycle electric motor battery
as soon as you get home. Letting batteries lay around without being fully
charged is not good for them.

--
Bill Kiene

Kiene's Fly Shop
Sacramento, CA
www.kiene.com

Larry

On Mon, 10 Nov 2003 03:37:05 GMT, Bill Kiene wrote:

My RV guy said that I should checked the fluid level and charged my battery
once a month. Boats should be the same.

I also learned that you should charge your deep cycle electric motor battery
as soon as you get home. Letting batteries lay around without being fully
charged is not good for them.

What might be better is to remove the battery and leave it in at least a
partially heated area. I am planning to do that with mine, leaving it in a
heated garage where it would be easier to keep an eye on it, checking fluid
level and an occasional trickle charge.
--

Larry
email is rapp at lmr dot com
Old Wife

"Bill Kiene" wrote
My RV guy said that I should checked the fluid
level and charged my battery once a month.

Whatever you do, don't store it on a concrete floor.

Charles T. Low

Oh, that's good, I almost tripped. Check the sender's name...

====

Charles T. Low
- remove "UN"
www.boatdocking.com
www.ctlow.ca/Trojan26 - my boat

====

"Old Wife" wrote in message
"Bill Kiene" wrote
My RV guy said that I should checked the fluid
level and charged my battery once a month.

Whatever you do, don't store it on a concrete floor.

Bill Kiene

Thanks Larry

I am going to that too.

--
Bill Kiene

Kiene's Fly Shop
Sacramento, CA
www.kiene.com

"Larry" wrote in message
.. .
On Mon, 10 Nov 2003 03:37:05 GMT, Bill Kiene wrote:

My RV guy said that I should checked the fluid level and charged my

battery
once a month. Boats should be the same.

I also learned that you should charge your deep cycle electric motor

battery
as soon as you get home. Letting batteries lay around without being

fully
charged is not good for them.

What might be better is to remove the battery and leave it in at least a
partially heated area. I am planning to do that with mine, leaving it in

heated garage where it would be easier to keep an eye on it, checking

fluid
level and an occasional trickle charge.
--

Larry
email is rapp at lmr dot com

Steve

It's not practical for me to remove my 'house' batteries since they total
500 lb. So I leave the automatic charger on float.. I need to any way since
my frig, water pump and all my lights are on 12 volts and I want them
available when ever I visit the boat.

For the engine battery, I replace my engine battery every spring. In fact in
this boat I have two engine batteries and I replace one each year, even if
it is in good condition.. (I have (9) other engines at home that could use
a 1yo battery, while the boat engine deserves the newest and best battery).

--
My opinion and experience. FWIW

Steve
s/v Good Intentions

Steve

That's an Old Wives tail..

The only thing that is detriment is the concrete floor will be colder.. Or
the battery acid my etch the floor if it spills or leaks.

Steve
s/v Good Intentions

Harry Krause

Steve wrote:

That's an Old Wives tail..

The only thing that is detriment is the concrete floor will be colder.. Or
the battery acid my etch the floor if it spills or leaks.

Steve
s/v Good Intentions

I have a high-tech shelf in my garage for battery storage. It consists
of two leftover 12" concrete blocks supporting a length of 2 x 12. I
just plop the batteries on the shelf after cleaning them, and then top
off their charges once a month.

I've been thinking of selling these "battery shelf kits" on eBay to
boaters for $99.95 plus shipping. What think you?

--
Email sent to is never read.

Wayne.B

On Tue, 11 Nov 2003 09:56:47 -0800, "Steve" wrote:
It's not practical for me to remove my 'house' batteries since they total
500 lb.

This is a common problem and most people that I know just give them a
good charge, disconnect everything, and wait for spring. My batteries
have survived this scenario for three years in the NT/CT area with no
damage. Winter temperatures here rarely go below zero but car
batteries in upstate NY regularly survive temperatures down to -30 and
-40.

winter storage are David Ditch General 4 November 10th 03 01:38 PM
Alternator Shot - How long running on Batteries? speedo General 6 October 8th 03 02:29 PM
NiMH batteries in a portable VHF? Rob Malkin General 11 September 24th 03 05:52 AM
12 volt Batteries - branda and/or where to buy ?? Gary Warner General 9 September 4th 03 01:17 PM
Living on a boat: winter?? sergem General 9 July 31st 03 04:32 AM