Insomniac

Default Stinky Carpets

Hey everyone. Haven't been in here for a while b/c doing a lot of boating,
life, etc.

So, my snap in carpets (Berber style with rubber back) got really wet and
stink like rotten feet. I pulled them out and steamed cleaned them and they
still stink. Also added a little baking soda. They still stink. Any
suggestions? Will this odor ever be gone?

Short Wave Sportfishing

On Mon, 26 Jul 2004 23:16:59 -0700, "Insomniac"
wrote:

Hey everyone. Haven't been in here for a while b/c doing a lot of boating,
life, etc.

So, my snap in carpets (Berber style with rubber back) got really wet and
stink like rotten feet. I pulled them out and steamed cleaned them and they
still stink. Also added a little baking soda. They still stink. Any
suggestions? Will this odor ever be gone?

The carpet is toast. The stinky feel smell is from the rubber which
has picked up something and that's impossible to get out.

Later,

Tom
S. Woodstock, CT
-----------
"Angling may be said to be so
like the mathematics that it
can never be fully learnt..."

Izaak Walton "The Compleat Angler", 1653

Stanley Barthfarkle

I would try a gallon of "nature's miracle"- an enzymatic cleaner that "eats"
organic stains. At $20 or less, it wouldn't be very expensive to try, and it
works great for pet accidents. We get it at Petco or PetsMart. Thoroughly
rinse your carpet to remove any residue of cleaners or soaps, then apply the
product onto the damp carpeting full strength, (I would use a spray bottle
and wet the back, then the front) and let it sit until dry. The longer it
sits, the more chance it has to eliminate the smell.

"Insomniac" wrote in message
Hey everyone. Haven't been in here for a while b/c doing a lot of

boating,
life, etc.

So, my snap in carpets (Berber style with rubber back) got really wet and
stink like rotten feet. I pulled them out and steamed cleaned them and

they
still stink. Also added a little baking soda. They still stink. Any
suggestions? Will this odor ever be gone?

Stanley Barthfarkle

OxiClean is another product that can be very effective eliminating organic
odors and stains.

That is correct, but OxiClean is designed to be used in conjunction with a
surfacant. Oxy loosens the offending molecules, and a surfacant (detergent)
washes them away. For items that are hard to get soapy enough to clean, and
are subsequently hard to rinse well, an enzymatic cleaner will remove the
stain/smell without the need to rinse. Oxy will also bleach out many carpet
dyes (we found this out the hard way on our nice new LR carpet). OxyClean is
great for laundry, bad for carpet, IMHO.

Short Wave Sportfishing

On Tue, 27 Jul 2004 13:55:12 GMT, "Stanley Barthfarkle"
wrote:

I would try a gallon of "nature's miracle"- an enzymatic cleaner that "eats"
organic stains. At $20 or less, it wouldn't be very expensive to try, and it
works great for pet accidents. We get it at Petco or PetsMart. Thoroughly
rinse your carpet to remove any residue of cleaners or soaps, then apply the
product onto the damp carpeting full strength, (I would use a spray bottle
and wet the back, then the front) and let it sit until dry. The longer it
sits, the more chance it has to eliminate the smell.

The problem is the rubber rotting away. I've been through this -
trust me - nothign works other than replacement.

Later,

Tom

Stinky sink! Seahag ASA 150 November 18th 03 04:49 AM
Stinky Sink Simple Simon ASA 0 November 11th 03 10:45 PM