Default 40HP Mercury Idle Speed Adjustment?

Greetings,

I have a new (to me) '01 Boston Whaler 13 Sport with a 40HP Mercury
2-stroke. It's the 2 cylinder "classic" model. It's idling at
1,200RPM's, or 1,000RPM's in gear. The spec calls for 750RPM's in
gear.

I adjusted the barrel nut on the throttle cable so the linkage is
against the stop, however it did nothing to change the idle speed. Is
there another adjustment that can be made to reduce the idle speed?

Also, this is my first outboard powered boat, and at idle speed, the
motor sure bounces around a lot. I would think this is normal for a 2
cylinder, 2 stroke engine, but I didn't expect the engine to run as
rough as it does at idle.

Any help would be most appreciated.......