Barry Minchey

Default How to remove rust stains from gelcoat

Removed a fire extinguisher bracket and will not install new one in
the same place. Nasty rust stain. Are there good solvents for this or
should I use a polishing compound?

Thanks!

JimL

My recommendation is Barkeepers friend. I tried it based on
other recommendations in this newsgroup. I really didn't think
there was any hope of removing the rust stains left by my anchor
chain. It's can't be as easy as I'm remembering, but it seemed to
me that it almost just wiped the stains right off. I think it's
under two bucks at WallyWorld.

-JimL

Barry Minchey wrote:
Removed a fire extinguisher bracket and will not install new one in
the same place. Nasty rust stain. Are there good solvents for this or
should I use a polishing compound?

Thanks!

jps

"Barry Minchey" wrote in message
Removed a fire extinguisher bracket and will not install new one in
the same place. Nasty rust stain. Are there good solvents for this or
should I use a polishing compound?

Thanks!

Oxalic acid crystals from a paint store. It's the ingredient that makes
Barkeepers Friend and CLR work and a lot cheaper in its raw form.

Apply and let work for five or ten minutes. Rinse thoroughly.

Keith

Barkeeper's friend has oxalic acid in it, which makes it very good at
removing rust stains. FSR is a blue gel that also has oxalic acid in it and
works very well.

link.net...

Barry Minchey wrote:
Removed a fire extinguisher bracket and will not install new one in
the same place. Nasty rust stain. Are there good solvents for this or
should I use a polishing compound?

Thanks!

Mike Elliott

I use clr in my gel coated whirlpool all the time, works like a charm on
iron stains from our hard water...

Mike

"Calif Bill" wrote in message
ink.net...
CLR from Wal-mart about $5 removed the rust stains from my pool's diving
board.

link.net...

Water Stains in Headliner Dano General 2 September 22nd 03 12:43 AM
Gelcoat Maple tree stains Doobie General 5 September 12th 03 11:06 AM
Marine Goop glue = how to remove? Paul Dougherty General 3 July 28th 03 08:03 PM