Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #21   Report Post  
Old May 20th 21, 07:14 PM posted to rec.boats
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by BoatBanter: Jan 2017
Posts: 4,555
Default A really big ship

Keyser Söze wrote:
On 5/20/21 12:12 PM, wrote:
On Thursday, May 20, 2021 at 12:05:29 PM UTC-4,
wrote:
On Tuesday, May 18, 2021 at 7:15:02 PM UTC-4, True North wrote:
On Tuesday, 18 May 2021 at 19:53:53 UTC-3, Keyser Söze wrote:
On 5/18/21 4:43 PM, True North wrote:
Not sure if anyone has much interest in boats or ships anymore but
we have a special visitor in Halifax.
Supposed to be the biggest container ship to ever visit the east
coast of North America and the Port of Halifax is first to host it


https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-...ship-1.6030678

Wowser! Wonder how many gallons per mile it burns?
--
* Lock up Trump and his family of grifters. *
I can only imagine!
I went to the ports arrivals and departures where it lists the Marco
Polo at 174,000 G?T.
Not sure if that means fully loaded or dry.
That's almost equal to two Nimitz class aircraft carriers.
One site compared it to the French aircraft carrier, Charles d'Gaulle.
The French warship looked puny in the comparison graphic..
===

It has a single diesel engine rated at 107,390 hp. Top speed for the
Marco Polo is 25 kts but probably operated a bit slower at around 20
kts. At that speed it would burn about 4,000 gallons per hour or 200
gallons per nautical mile. At 6076 feet per nm, it would burn a little
over 30 gallons per foot.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CMA_CGM_Marco_Polo

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/W%C3%A...Sulzer_RTA96-C

Correction: Make that 30 feet per gallon, not 30 gallons per foot.


Good grief...even with high speed fuel pumps, it must take a long time
to refuel that monster.


I watched the fuel barge to a cruise ship one time. Probably an 8” hose.


  #22   Report Post  
Old May 21st 21, 01:57 AM posted to rec.boats
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by BoatBanter: Jul 2007
Posts: 36,387
Default A really big ship

On Thu, 20 May 2021 08:25:58 -0400, Keyser Söze
wrote:

On 5/19/21 11:36 PM, wrote:
On Wed, 19 May 2021 19:58:29 -0000 (UTC), Bill
wrote:

Bill wrote:
Keyser Söze wrote:
On 5/18/21 4:43 PM, True North wrote:
Not sure if anyone has much interest in boats or ships anymore but we
have a special visitor in Halifax.
Supposed to be the biggest container ship to ever visit the east coast
of North America and the Port of Halifax is first to host it


https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-...ship-1.6030678



Wowser! Wonder how many gallons per mile it burns?

I think the QE2 got something like 12 inches per gallon.



I did a little research and they say between 49’ and a 125’ per gallon.
Don’t know,if that is Imperial gallon.


They were also doing a lot more than just pushing a ship through the
water and it was faster. This was a city floating out there. They used
a hell of a lot of energy sitting at anchor.


Can hardly wait until the cruise ships start up again for real and about
a month later 500 passengers get deathly ill from some illness
contracted on that voyage.


The surprising thing is if people learned anything about hand
sanitization from this Covid mess, that might be far less of a
problem. We never got sick on a cruise but we have always been serious
about washing our hands. We even wipe down the area around our
airplane seats with disinfectant wipes.
We used to get funny looks about it but now I suspect more people will
be doing it ... until they forget.

  #23   Report Post  
Old May 21st 21, 01:47 PM posted to rec.boats
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by BoatBanter: Oct 2020
Posts: 1,508
Default A really big ship

On 5/20/21 8:57 PM, wrote:
On Thu, 20 May 2021 08:25:58 -0400, Keyser Söze
wrote:

On 5/19/21 11:36 PM,
wrote:
On Wed, 19 May 2021 19:58:29 -0000 (UTC), Bill
wrote:

Bill wrote:
Keyser Söze wrote:
On 5/18/21 4:43 PM, True North wrote:
Not sure if anyone has much interest in boats or ships anymore but we
have a special visitor in Halifax.
Supposed to be the biggest container ship to ever visit the east coast
of North America and the Port of Halifax is first to host it


https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-...ship-1.6030678



Wowser! Wonder how many gallons per mile it burns?

I think the QE2 got something like 12 inches per gallon.



I did a little research and they say between 49’ and a 125’ per gallon.
Don’t know,if that is Imperial gallon.

They were also doing a lot more than just pushing a ship through the
water and it was faster. This was a city floating out there. They used
a hell of a lot of energy sitting at anchor.


Can hardly wait until the cruise ships start up again for real and about
a month later 500 passengers get deathly ill from some illness
contracted on that voyage.


The surprising thing is if people learned anything about hand
sanitization from this Covid mess, that might be far less of a
problem. We never got sick on a cruise but we have always been serious
about washing our hands. We even wipe down the area around our
airplane seats with disinfectant wipes.
We used to get funny looks about it but now I suspect more people will
be doing it ... until they forget.


Washing hands is helpful, but it won't prevent food poisoning, and that
apparently is not infrequent on the cruises.

--
* Lock up Trump and his family of grifters. *
  #24   Report Post  
Old May 21st 21, 04:27 PM posted to rec.boats
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by BoatBanter: Jan 2021
Posts: 58
Default A really big ship

On Thu, 20 May 2021 18:14:43 -0000 (UTC), Bill
wrote:

Keyser Sze wrote:
On 5/20/21 12:12 PM, wrote:
On Thursday, May 20, 2021 at 12:05:29 PM UTC-4,
wrote:
On Tuesday, May 18, 2021 at 7:15:02 PM UTC-4, True North wrote:
On Tuesday, 18 May 2021 at 19:53:53 UTC-3, Keyser Sze wrote:
On 5/18/21 4:43 PM, True North wrote:
Not sure if anyone has much interest in boats or ships anymore but
we have a special visitor in Halifax.
Supposed to be the biggest container ship to ever visit the east
coast of North America and the Port of Halifax is first to host it


https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-...ship-1.6030678

Wowser! Wonder how many gallons per mile it burns?
--
* Lock up Trump and his family of grifters. *
I can only imagine!
I went to the ports arrivals and departures where it lists the Marco
Polo at 174,000 G?T.
Not sure if that means fully loaded or dry.
That's almost equal to two Nimitz class aircraft carriers.
One site compared it to the French aircraft carrier, Charles d'Gaulle.
The French warship looked puny in the comparison graphic..
===

It has a single diesel engine rated at 107,390 hp. Top speed for the
Marco Polo is 25 kts but probably operated a bit slower at around 20
kts. At that speed it would burn about 4,000 gallons per hour or 200
gallons per nautical mile. At 6076 feet per nm, it would burn a little
over 30 gallons per foot.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CMA_CGM_Marco_Polo

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/W%C3%A...Sulzer_RTA96-C
Correction: Make that 30 feet per gallon, not 30 gallons per foot.


Good grief...even with high speed fuel pumps, it must take a long time
to refuel that monster.


I watched the fuel barge to a cruise ship one time. Probably an 8 hose.


Did that make you jealous?
  #25   Report Post  
Old May 21st 21, 04:28 PM posted to rec.boats
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by BoatBanter: Jan 2021
Posts: 58
Default A really big ship

On Thu, 20 May 2021 08:48:12 -0400 (EDT), justan wrote:

Keyser Sze Wrote in message:r
On 5/19/21 11:36 PM, wrote: On Wed, 19 May 2021 19:58:29 -0000 (UTC), Bill wrote: Bill wrote: Keyser Sze wrote: On 5/18/21 4:43 PM, True North wrote: Not sure if anyone has much interest in boats or ships anymore but we have a special visitor in Halifax. Supposed to be the biggest container ship to ever visit the east coast of North America and the Port of Halifax is first to host it https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scotia/marco-polo-halifax-breaks-record-biggest-cargo-ship-1.6030678 Wowser! Wonder how many gallons per mile it burns? I think the QE2 got something like 12 inches per gallon. I did a little research and they say between 49? and a 125? per gallon. Don?t know,if that is Imperial gallon. They were also doing a lot more than just pushing a ship through the water and

it was faster. This was a city floating out there. They used a hell of a lot of energy sitting at anchor. Can hardly wait until the cruise ships start up again for real and about a month later 500 passengers get deathly ill from some illness contracted on that voyage.-- * Lock up Trump and his family of grifters. *

Thats exactly what we expect you to say. You wish misery and grief
on others because you are a miserable old coot down on your luck.
Have a crappy day.


You're such a little whiny bitch!


  #26   Report Post  
Old May 21st 21, 04:28 PM posted to rec.boats
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by BoatBanter: Jan 2021
Posts: 58
Default A really big ship

On Thu, 20 May 2021 20:57:27 -0400, wrote:

On Thu, 20 May 2021 08:25:58 -0400, Keyser Sze
wrote:

On 5/19/21 11:36 PM,
wrote:
On Wed, 19 May 2021 19:58:29 -0000 (UTC), Bill
wrote:

Bill wrote:
Keyser Sze wrote:
On 5/18/21 4:43 PM, True North wrote:
Not sure if anyone has much interest in boats or ships anymore but we
have a special visitor in Halifax.
Supposed to be the biggest container ship to ever visit the east coast
of North America and the Port of Halifax is first to host it


https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-...ship-1.6030678



Wowser! Wonder how many gallons per mile it burns?

I think the QE2 got something like 12 inches per gallon.



I did a little research and they say between 49 and a 125 per gallon.
Dont know,if that is Imperial gallon.

They were also doing a lot more than just pushing a ship through the
water and it was faster. This was a city floating out there. They used
a hell of a lot of energy sitting at anchor.


Can hardly wait until the cruise ships start up again for real and about
a month later 500 passengers get deathly ill from some illness
contracted on that voyage.


The surprising thing is if people learned anything about hand
sanitization from this Covid mess, that might be far less of a
problem. We never got sick on a cruise but we have always been serious
about washing our hands. We even wipe down the area around our
airplane seats with disinfectant wipes.
We used to get funny looks about it but now I suspect more people will
be doing it ... until they forget.


You were sick before you took the cruise.
  #27   Report Post  
Old May 21st 21, 04:37 PM posted to rec.boats
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by BoatBanter: Oct 2020
Posts: 1,508
Default A really big ship

On 5/21/21 11:28 AM, Mr Robot wrote:

On Thu, 20 May 2021 08:48:12 -0400 (EDT), justan wrote:


Keyser Söze Wrote in message:r

On 5/19/21 11:36 PM, wrote: On Wed, 19 May 2021 19:58:29 -0000 (UTC), Bill wrote: Bill wrote: Keyser Söze wrote: On 5/18/21 4:43 PM, True North wrote: Not sure if anyone has much interest in boats or ships anymore but we have a special visitor in Halifax. Supposed to be the biggest container ship to ever visit the east coast of North America and the Port of Halifax is first to host it https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scotia/marco-polo-halifax-breaks-record-biggest-cargo-ship-1.6030678 Wowser! Wonder how many gallons per mile it burns? I think the QE2 got something like 12 inches per gallon. I did a little research and they say between 49? and a 125? per gallon. Don?t know,if that is Imperial gallon. They were also doing a lot more than just pushing a ship through the water and

it was faster. This was a city floating out there. They used a hell of a lot of energy sitting at anchor. Can hardly wait until the cruise ships start up again for real and about a month later 500 passengers get deathly ill from some illness contracted on that voyage.-- * Lock up Trump and his family of grifters. *

Thats exactly what we expect you to say. You wish misery and grief
on others because you are a miserable old coot down on your luck.
Have a crappy day.


You're such a little whiny bitch!



And ignorant and not very bright, despite the claims of his buddy,
Luddite. I wonder if the cruise lines charge extra for contaminated food
and water?

--
* Lock up Trump and his family of grifters. *
  #28   Report Post  
Old May 23rd 21, 02:48 AM posted to rec.boats
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by BoatBanter: Jul 2007
Posts: 36,387
Default A really big ship

On Fri, 21 May 2021 08:47:00 -0400, Keyser Söze
wrote:

On 5/20/21 8:57 PM, wrote:
On Thu, 20 May 2021 08:25:58 -0400, Keyser Söze
wrote:

On 5/19/21 11:36 PM,
wrote:
On Wed, 19 May 2021 19:58:29 -0000 (UTC), Bill
wrote:

Bill wrote:
Keyser Söze wrote:
On 5/18/21 4:43 PM, True North wrote:
Not sure if anyone has much interest in boats or ships anymore but we
have a special visitor in Halifax.
Supposed to be the biggest container ship to ever visit the east coast
of North America and the Port of Halifax is first to host it


https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-...ship-1.6030678



Wowser! Wonder how many gallons per mile it burns?

I think the QE2 got something like 12 inches per gallon.



I did a little research and they say between 49’ and a 125’ per gallon.
Don’t know,if that is Imperial gallon.

They were also doing a lot more than just pushing a ship through the
water and it was faster. This was a city floating out there. They used
a hell of a lot of energy sitting at anchor.


Can hardly wait until the cruise ships start up again for real and about
a month later 500 passengers get deathly ill from some illness
contracted on that voyage.


The surprising thing is if people learned anything about hand
sanitization from this Covid mess, that might be far less of a
problem. We never got sick on a cruise but we have always been serious
about washing our hands. We even wipe down the area around our
airplane seats with disinfectant wipes.
We used to get funny looks about it but now I suspect more people will
be doing it ... until they forget.


Washing hands is helpful, but it won't prevent food poisoning, and that
apparently is not infrequent on the cruises.


I suspect most of that "food poisoning" is people poisoning their own
food from dirty hands. I assume anything you touch on a cruise ship
has **** on it.
I don't drink the water on a cruise ship. Those tanks are septic
tanks. We always take a case or two of bottled water with us. I avoid
the ice too as much as possible. If the hot food is really hot, it
should be safe.


Reply
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules

Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cruise ship sinks Venezuelan Navy ship after being fired at and rammed [email protected] General 1 April 2nd 20 04:04 PM
Empire Sandy Tall Ship in Welland Canal 13June2010 - Empire Sandy Tall Ship approaching Lock2 13June2010 #6856 e.jpg Steve[_10_] Tall Ship Photos 1 June 14th 10 02:26 AM
Warping In--British Ship Ardramurchan at Port Blakely, Washington, 1903_Chistopher Blossom_sqs Warping In__British Ship Ardramurchan at Port Blakely, Washington, 1903_Christopher Blossom, 2000_sqs.jpg [1/2] joevan[_3_] Tall Ship Photos 1 August 11th 09 04:43 AM
Warping In--British Ship Ardramurchan at Port Blakely, Washington, 1903_Chistopher Blossom_sqs Warping In__British Ship Ardramurchan at Port Blakely, Washington, 1903_Christopher Blossom, 2000_sqs.jpg [1/2] joevan[_3_] Tall Ship Photos 0 August 10th 09 09:55 PM
not a tall ship.. but does anyone recognise this 1940s ship? (link in message) Boyd Tall Ship Photos 2 April 2nd 07 05:25 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 05:26 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2021 BoatBanter.com.
The comments are property of their posters.
 

About Us

"It's about Boats"

 

Copyright © 2017