Default If you've never tried 'em...

justan wrote:
Bill Wrote in message:r
John wrote: ...these are really, really good.
https://houseofnasheats.com/smoked-pork-belly-burnt-ends/ Got a batch
going on the Traeger. First time for me. -- Freedom Isn't Free!
What I don?t understand these days is pricing. I can buy corned beef
for1/2 the price of brisket. Pork belly cost more than cured and slicedbacon.

I thought corned beef was brisket. Enlighten me.

It is. Salt cured Brisket. Called Corned, because the slat use was,the
size of corn kernels. My comment, is they process the brisket and it sells
for 1/2 the price of brisket.

On Sun, 28 Feb 2021 17:44:21 -0000 (UTC), Bill
wrote:

John wrote:
...these are really, really good.

https://houseofnasheats.com/smoked-p...ly-burnt-ends/

Got a batch going on the Traeger. First time for me.
--

Freedom Isn't Free!

What I don’t understand these days is pricing. I can buy corned beef for
1/2 the price of brisket. Pork belly cost more than cured and sliced
bacon.

It is all about the volume. They sell a lot more bacon than raw pork
belly and the guys who make bacon pay a pittance for it. Same way with
Brisket. Those are generally waste byproducts that they sell for
pennies a pound.
I remember when I was working at Swift "Skirt Steak" was a nickel a
pound at the processing plant and my sister fed it to her dogs. Then
we discovered Fajitas and it costs more than sirloin at the store.

On Sun, 28 Feb 2021 19:25:08 -0500, John wrote:

On Sun, 28 Feb 2021 17:15:43 -0500 (EST), justan wrote:

Bill Wrote in message:r
John wrote: ...these are really, really good. https://houseofnasheats.com/smoked-pork-belly-burnt-ends/ Got a batch going on the Traeger. First time for me. -- Freedom Isn't Free! What I don?t understand these days is pricing. I can buy corned beef for1/2 the price of brisket. Pork belly cost more than cured and slicedbacon.

I thought corned beef was brisket. Enlighten me.

That's what's weird. Corned beef brisket *is* brisket. It's just been brined.
I've no idea why it's usually cheaper than fresh brisket.

It because the corned beef producer will buy it by the truck load
directly from the processor. If it goes through the retail channel it
gets treated like steak and they price it that way because they can.

wrote:

John wrote:
...these are really, really good.

https://houseofnasheats.com/smoked-p...ly-burnt-ends/

Got a batch going on the Traeger. First time for me.
--

Freedom Isn't Free!

What I don’t understand these days is pricing. I can buy corned beef for
1/2 the price of brisket. Pork belly cost more than cured and sliced
bacon.

The belly at Costco was $2.29l, wilthout the rind. Not bad, and it pretty lean
also. I've never understood the price difference between corned beef and
brisket. I just did a corned beef on the Traeger yesterday. Spectacular. Low and
slow.
--

Freedom Isn't Free!

Pastrami?

wrote:

John wrote:
...these are really, really good.

https://houseofnasheats.com/smoked-p...ly-burnt-ends/

Got a batch going on the Traeger. First time for me.
--

Freedom Isn't Free!

What I don’t understand these days is pricing. I can buy corned beef for
1/2 the price of brisket. Pork belly cost more than cured and sliced
bacon.

It is all about the volume. They sell a lot more bacon than raw pork
belly and the guys who make bacon pay a pittance for it. Same way with
Brisket. Those are generally waste byproducts that they sell for
pennies a pound.
I remember when I was working at Swift "Skirt Steak" was a nickel a
pound at the processing plant and my sister fed it to her dogs. Then
we discovered Fajitas and it costs more than sirloin at the store.

Also fads. Guy I knew years ago, around 2004, had run a butcher shop. He
was amazed at the prices for some cuts. He said, stuff they used to,grind
in to hamburger was now more than some steak. I know a guy who grew up
around Santa Barbara where Santa Maria tri tip is from. He said they used
to use sirloin block until it got to expensive and then when to the end of
rump roast. Now the tri tip is $6 a pound on sale.

On Mon, 01 Mar 2021 23:46:34 -0500, wrote:

On Mon, 01 Mar 2021 19:50:07 -0500, John wrote:

On Mon, 01 Mar 2021 17:59:18 -0500,
wrote:

On Mon, 01 Mar 2021 14:16:34 -0500, John wrote:

Bill Wrote in message:r
John wrote: ...these are really, really good. https://houseofnasheats.com/smoked-pork-belly-burnt-ends/ Got a batch going on the Traeger. First time for me. -- Freedom Isn't Free! What I don?t understand these days is pricing. I can buy corned beef for1/2 the price of brisket. Pork belly cost more than cured and slicedbacon.

I thought corned beef was brisket. Enlighten me.

That's what's weird. Corned beef brisket *is* brisket. It's just been brined.
I've no idea why it's usually cheaper than fresh brisket.

It because the corned beef producer will buy it by the truck load
directly from the processor. If it goes through the retail channel it
gets treated like steak and they price it that way because they can.

Wouldn't that also be true of a brisket sold in Giant?

Probably not. It all depends on how Giant buys their brisket.

Well, they sell it as a packers cut, all wrapped up.

When Grobbel's buys it they get them in a huge crate unpackaged.

I would expect they're all that way at one point or another.
--

Freedom Isn't Free!