Default T Mobile home router

On Thursday, February 4, 2021 at 7:52:18 AM UTC-5, justan wrote:
" Wrote in message:r
On Wednesday, February 3, 2021 at 7:36:24 PM UTC-5, justan wrote: Wrote in message:r On Tue, 2 Feb 2021 18:01:27 -0500 (EST), justan Wrote in message:r On Tue, 2 Feb 2021 10:39:23 -0500 (EST), justan Wrote in message:r I just looked and they say it is not available here yetWhy is it better than other routers?Dunno but I know I had to sent the Verison router back because itdidn't work here. I just wanted to see what they said.A router is mostly kind of generic. What feeds it is generally the important interface, ie cable modem, dsl modem, fiber interface etc..These LTE routers have a SIM card and are essentially a phone. WHY IS IT A HOME ROUTER? SOUNDS MORE LIKE A WIRELESS HOTSPOT.If you don't want (or have access to) cable or fiber internet, then cell internet service via a LTE router is your best choice.A LTE router typically has provisions for a wired RJ45 network and is usually stationary. A wireless hotspot doesn't so you have to connect via WiFi and is typically mobile.

YOU ARE PARTIALLY CORRECT. A SIM CARD IS USUALLY ASSOCIATED WITH A
PHONE NUMBER. LTE IS A CELLULAR SERVICE. A WIRELESS HOTSPOT USES
CELLULAR, LATELY LTE IS ONE OF THE CELLULAR PHONES THAT CHOICES.
ALTHOUGH MY HOTSPOT ALLOWS UP TO 10 DEVICES TO BE CONNECTED TO
IT, I CONNECT A TRAVEL ROUTER AND CONNECT MY DEVICES THROUGH IT.
THE TRAVEL ROUTER CAN BE CONNECTED TO THE HOTSPOT A VARIETY OF
WAYS. DEVICES CAN BE CONNECTED TO THE TRAVEL ROUTER A COUPLE OF
WAYS. A TRAVEL ROUTER IS BASICALLY LIKE THE HOTSPOT PORTION OF A
PHONE. IT CAN SAVE LOGON INFORMATION FROM VARIOUS WIFI HOSTS AND
RECONNECT TO THEM AUTOMATICALLY WHEN CLOSE BY. MANY PHONES CAN
SWITCH BACK AND FORTH BETWEEN CELL AND WIFI PHONE SERVICE. MINE
CAN. THERE'S A LOT OF MYSTERIOUS TECHNOLOGY OUT THERE BUT YOU
DON'T HAVE TO UNDERSTAND IT TO USE IT.

Of course, while LTE is a cellular service, cellular service isn't limited to just phone calls. After all, a modern cell phone call is just data.

As part of a work project, I setup an earlier version of one of these a few years ago:

https://www.solidsignal.com/calamp-fixed-portable-fusion-lte-router-3-port-140-9320-100?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cse&utm_term=140-9320-100&gclid=Cj0KCQiA0-6ABhDMARIsAFVdQv81vMVgNfRV7rqsMysnbtKe0a7ESjgyxKFY eWj1Z1z7kYjCdqBzydAaAjTFEALw_wcB

It had two SIM card slots and the capability of going on the FirstNet network when it became available (it is now). I had data service from both AT&T and Verizon, and while technically there was a phone number associated with the accounts, there were no call placed through the device. With one of the SIMs I was just another device on the internet. With the other we had it provisioned so that we had a private network with our own range of IP addresses (VLAN) on the cellular network. The use case was an emergency response vehicle. You would drive it to the emergency site, turn on the broadband router, and if you had signal you had a hardwired LAN inside the vehicle for your comm consoles, as well as WiFi for tablets or laptops. They could have access to the internet or just be on a private network back to the main office. Think public safety applications.

What you're doing with a cellular hotspot and a travel router an LTE (broadband) router does with one purpose-built, integrated device. You're taking a slight speed hit because you're going through two routers... one in your hotspot, and another in the separate router. If your hotspot had WiFi and RJ45 ports built into it I suspect you could trash that travel router. Most hotspots seem to be just cell phones with no speaker or microphone.

" Wrote in message:r
[...]

My travel router doesn't have quite the versitility yours does but at $20 US
I an quite satisfied with what it can do. :-) All my "stuff" stays
connected to the travel router and I only have to fiddle with one internet
connection whenever the need arises. Usually my hotspot works but sometimes
I have to find something else to log on to.
Sounds like you'd be the most knowledgeable person for Greg to talk to.

Personally, I think his problems rise from the fact that his house is about
a block from a rather large dead zone. A directional antenna might help him
pull in signal better.
--
No more bull****

" Wrote in message:r
[...]

I thought a decent antenna would help to but this thing was spotty out
in the yard. My biggest problem was there was no real help from
Verison and the clock was ticking on my 14 day trial. There was an
antenna port but I couldn't even find anyone who knew if it was a WiFi
antenna or a cell antenna or where to get one. I also wasn't sure if I
just had a bad box. Calling support gets you a phone tech, not a data
guy. It was about like calling the Telco back in the bad old days
about line quality. You got an installer repairman who didn't know
**** about data.
"Hey Bob, can you hear me"?
"Line's OK".

Wrote in message:r
On Thu, 4 Feb 2021 15:49:20 -0000 (UTC), Justan " wrote:On 2/4/21 9:38 AM, wrote:On Thursday, February 4, 2021 at 7:52:18 AM UTC-5, justan wrote: " Wrote in message:r On Wednesday, February 3, 2021 at 7:36:24 PM UTC-5, justan wrote: Wrote in message:r On Tue, 2 Feb 2021 18:01:27 -0500 (EST), justan Wrote in message:r On Tue, 2 Feb 2021 10:39:23 -0500 (EST), justan Wrote in message:r I just looked and they say it is not available here yetWhy is it better than other routers?Dunno but I know I had to sent the Verison router back because itdidn't work here. I just wanted to see what they said.A router is mostly kind of generic. What feeds it is generally the important interface, ie cable modem, dsl modem, fiber interface etc.These LTE routers have a SIM card and are essentially a phone. WHY IS IT A HOME ROUTER? SOUNDS MORE LIKE A WIRELESS HOTSPOT.If you don't want (or have access to) cable or fiber internet, then cell internet service via a LTE router is your best choice.A LTE router typically has provisions for a wired RJ45 networkandis usually stationary. A wireless hotspot doesn't so you have to connect via WiFi and is typically mobile. YOU ARE PARTIALLY CORRECT. A SIM CARD IS USUALLY ASSOCIATED WITH A PHONE NUMBER. LTE IS A CELLULAR SERVICE. A WIRELESS HOTSPOT USES CELLULAR, LATELY LTE IS ONE OF THE CELLULAR PHONES THAT CHOICES. ALTHOUGH MY HOTSPOT ALLOWS UP TO 10 DEVICES TO BE CONNECTED TO IT, I CONNECT A TRAVEL ROUTER AND CONNECT MY DEVICES THROUGH IT. THE TRAVEL ROUTER CAN BE CONNECTED TO THE HOTSPOT A VARIETY OF WAYS. DEVICES CAN BE CONNECTED TO THE TRAVEL ROUTER A COUPLE OF WAYS. A TRAVEL ROUTER IS BASICALLY LIKE THE HOTSPOT PORTION OF A PHONE. IT CAN SAVE LOGON INFORMATION FROM VARIOUS WIFI HOSTS AND RECONNECT TO THEM AUTOMATICALLY WHEN CLOSE BY. MANY PHONES CAN SWITCH BACK AND FORTH BETWEEN CELL AND WIFI PHONE SERVICE. MINE CAN. THERE'S A LOT OF MYSTERIOUS TECHNOLOGY OUT THERE BUT YOU DON'T HAVE TO UNDERSTAND IT TO USE IT.Of course, while LTE is a cellular service, cellular service isn't limited to just phone calls. After all, a modern cell phone call is just data.As part of a work project, I setup an earlier version of one of these a few years ago:https://www.solidsignal.com/calamp-fixed-portable-fusion-lte-router-3-port-140-9320-100?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cse&utm_term=140-9320-100&gclid=Cj0KCQiA0-6ABhDMARIsAFVdQv81vMVgNfRV7rqsMysnbtKe0a7ESjgyxKFY eWj1Z1z7kYjCdqBzydAaAjTFEALw_wcBIt had two SIM card slots and the capability of going on the FirstNet network when it became available (it is now). I had data service from both AT&T and Verizon, and while technically there was a phone number associated with the accounts, there were no call placed through the device. With one of the SIMs I was just another device on the internet. With the other we had it provisioned so that we had a private network with our own range of IP addresses (VLAN) on the cellular network. The use case was an emergency response vehicle. You would drive it to the emergency site, turn on the broadband router, and if you had signal you had a hardwired LAN inside the vehicle for your comm consoles, as well as WiFi for tablets or laptops. They could have access to the internet or just be on a private network back to the main office. Think public safety applications.What you're doing with a cellular hotspot and a travel router an LTE (broadband) router does with one purpose-built, integrated device. You're taking a slight speed hit because you're going through two routers... one in your hotspot, and another in the separate router. If your hotspot had WiFi and RJ45 ports built into it I suspect you could trash that travel router. Most hotspots seem to be just cell phones with no speaker or microphone.My travel router doesn't have quite the versitility yours does but at $20 US I an quite satisfied with what it can do. :-) All my "stuff" stays connected to the travel router and I only have to fiddle with one internet connection whenever the need arises. Usually my hotspot works but sometimes I have to find something else to log on to.Sounds like you'd be the most knowledgeable person for Greg to talk to. Personally, I think his problems rise from the fact that his house is about a block from a rather large dead zone. A directional antenna might help him pull in signal better.I thought a decent antenna would help to but this thing was spotty outin the yard. My biggest problem was there was no real help fromVerison and the clock was ticking on my 14 day trial. There was anantenna port but I couldn't even find anyone who knew if it was a WiFiantenna or a cell antenna or where to get one. I also wasn't sure if Ijust had a bad box. Calling support gets you a phone tech, not a dataguy. It was about like calling the Telco back in the bad old daysabout line quality. You got an installer repairman who didn't know**** about data."Hey Bob, can you hear me"? "Line's OK".

If you can't get support before the sale, imagine what kind of
support you could get after the sale.
--

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
https://piaohong.s3-us-west-2.amazon...net/index.html

" Wrote in message:r
[...]

I 100% agree on the support issue. When setting up the CalAmp router, I spent about two weeks going back and forth with the AT&T reps and their support groups. With Verizon I finally stumbled on a support guy that was knowledgeable about what I was trying to do, and he gave me an email address for him and his work schedule. I could send him an email, and he'd call me. I tell him where I was with the implementation, and he'd change something in provisioning of the account, have me try it, and let him know if that fixed it. We got it going in a couple of days.

With AT&T I never got that far with their support. I was just lucky that I had a group of AT&T sales reps come in for a couple days of training (they were reselling our product). During a break I was talking to a couple of the more technical ones about what I was trying to do, and one of them says to hang on while he gets his laptop. We go to the staging area I was working in, he cranks up his laptop, and he VPNs into the AT&T system. In 5 minutes he changed some provisioning settings, had me try them, and we had it up and going.

It's definitely all about getting the right support tier person.

On Thu, 4 Feb 2021 13:26:07 -0500 (EST), justan wrote:

Wrote in message:r
[...]

That is why it went back

Wrote in message:r
[...]

===

Do you not have Century Link fiber into your neighborhood or one of
the cable TV providers?

Wrote in message:r
[...]

The fiber stops along Broadway. It is just over a mile from me on
copper. Comcast is still Coax hardline from the late 80s although I
have been seeing their contractors pulling something new. It still
looks like hardline tho. If they have any sense at they should be
running fiber but they are not bragging about it yet. I don't think it
has come down my street anyway.