posted to rec.boats.sailing,alt.sailing

Default VIDEO: Harder than it looks,,How to Tack and Gybe an F50 //SailGP

On 7/29/19 8:31 PM, a425couple wrote:

https://www.sailingscuttlebutt.com/2...than-it-looks/

VIDEO: Harder than it looks

How to Tack and Gybe an F50 // SailGP
Published on July 26th, 2019

After three events during the inaugural SailGP season, the six
international teams are sorting out the best techniques for sailing the
identical wing-powered, foiling F50 catamarans. In this video, Great
Britain SailGP Team’s CEO and wing trimmer Chris Draper explains the
steps for tacking and gybing.

SailGP details – Team rosters – Results – Where to watch – Facebook

ABOUT SAILGP:
Established in 2018 and headquartered in London and San Francisco,
SailGP seeks to be an annual, global sports league featuring
fan-centric, inshore racing in some of the iconic harbors around the
globe and culminates with a $1 million winner-takes-all match race.
Rival national teams from Australia, China, France, Great Britain,
Japan, and the United States battle it out in identical wing-powered,
foiling F50 catamarans, engineered to exceed 50 knots.

2019 Schedule
Sydney, Australia (February 15-16)
San Francisco, USA (May 4-5)
New York, USA (June 21-22)
Cowes, UK (August 10-11)
Marseille, France (September 20-22)

13
Tags: Chris Draper, F50, SailGP

Related Posts

Video Highlights: SailGP New York →

Aussie mates dominate SailGP New York →

SailGP: Bringing the show to the big stage →

cool

--
- chovy

----
SailGP: Bringing the show to the big stage →

cool

Yes. Little wind powered 'hot rods' !

Have you ever sailed?

On 24/01/2021 16:02, a425couple wrote:
On 1/23/2021 9:06 AM, chovy wrote:
On 7/29/19 8:31 PM, a425couple wrote:

https://www.sailingscuttlebutt.com/2...than-it-looks/

VIDEO: Harder than it looks

How to Tack and Gybe an F50 // SailGP
Published on July 26th, 2019

After three events during the inaugural SailGP season, the six
international teams are sorting out the best techniques for sailing
the identical wing-powered, foiling F50 catamarans. In this video,
Great Britain SailGP Team’s CEO and wing trimmer Chris Draper
explains the steps for tacking and gybing.

----
SailGP: Bringing the show to the big stage →

cool

Yes.* Little wind powered 'hot rods' !

Have you ever sailed?

Find the America's cup on Youtube. They're pretty spectacular, and it's
happening now. Not 18 months ago!

Andy

On 1/24/2021 2:01 PM, Vir Campestris wrote:
[...]

Did you see this recent one?

https://www.facebook.com/sailrepubli...00443916792644
Sail Republic
tSp1onsorrfedhu ·
Few weeks ago...not a good day for the @emiratesteamnz 😱😱#badday
#capsize #crashsailing #americascup2021 #americascup #sailing⛵️ #ac75

On 25/01/2021 22:45, a425couple wrote:

Did you see this recent one?

https://www.facebook.com/sailrepubli...00443916792644
Sail Republic
tSp1onsorrfedhu* ·
Few weeks ago...not a good day for the @emiratesteamnz 😱😱#badday
#capsize #crashsailing #americascup2021 #americascup #sailing⛵️ #ac75

They righted it and were sailing again that day.

Not like the Americans who took off and landed so hard they punched a
hole in the boat.

Andy

On 1/29/2021 1:24 PM, Vir Campestris wrote:
On 25/01/2021 22:45, a425couple wrote:

Did you see this recent one?

https://www.facebook.com/sailrepubli...00443916792644
Sail Republic
tSp1onsorrfedhu* ·
Few weeks ago...not a good day for the @emiratesteamnz 😱😱#badday
#capsize #crashsailing #americascup2021 #americascup #sailing⛵️ #ac75

They righted it and were sailing again that day.

Not like the Americans who took off and landed so hard they punched a
hole in the boat.

Andy

Andy, Sounds like you are involved in these competitions
/ races. What do you do?

On 07/02/2021 17:44, a425couple wrote:
On 1/29/2021 1:24 PM, Vir Campestris wrote:
On 25/01/2021 22:45, a425couple wrote:

Did you see this recent one?

https://www.facebook.com/sailrepubli...00443916792644
Sail Republic
tSp1onsorrfedhu* ·
Few weeks ago...not a good day for the @emiratesteamnz 😱😱#badday
#capsize #crashsailing #americascup2021 #americascup #sailing⛵️ #ac75

They righted it and were sailing again that day.

Not like the Americans who took off and landed so hard they punched a
hole in the boat.

Andy

Andy,* Sounds like you are involved in these competitions
/ races.* What do you do?

I race a 12ft sailing dinghy on the other side of the world at club
level. Or at least I did until the UK government decided there was too
much risk of me getting COVID doing it.

I just watch these guys and wonder HTH do they do it.

Andy

On 2/7/2021 2:02 PM, Vir Campestris wrote:
On 07/02/2021 17:44, a425couple wrote:
On 1/29/2021 1:24 PM, Vir Campestris wrote:
On 25/01/2021 22:45, a425couple wrote:

Did you see this recent one?

https://www.facebook.com/sailrepubli...00443916792644
Sail Republic
tSp1onsorrfedhu* ·
Few weeks ago...not a good day for the @emiratesteamnz 😱😱#badday
#capsize #crashsailing #americascup2021 #americascup #sailing⛵️ #ac75

They righted it and were sailing again that day.

Not like the Americans who took off and landed so hard they punched a
hole in the boat.

Andy

Andy,* Sounds like you are involved in these competitions
/ races.* What do you do?

Or at least I did until the UK government decided there was too
much risk of me getting COVID doing it.

No ****! Welllll, I guess them carnivorous particles
can live a long time in your land down under !!

I race a 12ft sailing dinghy on the other side of the world at club
level.

I live in the Puget Sound area of Washington State, USA.

Neat! I have a little 9'6" Nutshell Pram that has
a Balanced Lug sail.
By luck rather than intent, in 2010 we bought a
house on a little 5 acre lake. So,,,,, first came
a used canoe. Then I found that pram for only $700.
So I take it out under sail over a dozen times a year.
and it's also good as a row boat.

Once a year we go to Tampa Bay area in Florida.
I've rented a Hobie Wave (14 foot?) there 3 times.
That is quite a little rocket also.

I rent it out of
https://www.clearwatercommunitysailing.org/
If you click on "Boat Rentals", it has pictures.

Do you own your 12'er?
Haul it on a trailer?
Is there a picture online?

I just watch these guys and wonder HTH do they do it.

Andy

Best wishes to you.

posted to rec.boats.sailing,alt.sailing

On 08/02/2021 18:39, a425couple wrote:

Do you own your 12'er?
Haul it on a trailer?
Is there a picture online?

I keep it at an organised sailing club, and leave it there.

The boat:

https://www.solosailing.org.uk/

will tell you more than I could.

Andy

On 2/9/2021 1:32 PM, Vir Campestris wrote:
On 08/02/2021 18:39, a425couple wrote:

Do you own your 12'er?
Haul it on a trailer?
Is there a picture online?

I keep it at an organised sailing club, and leave it there.
The boat:

https://www.solosailing.org.uk/

will tell you more than I could.
Andy

Neat.

So only the one sail, and it's triangular.
So the sail is kind of same as Hobie Cat.

Looks like all sailors are wearing wet-suits.
And lots of splashing. So you get wet a lot?
Do you ever go out with a passenger?
I take it it is all in salt water?
How far out do you go?
How many months a year do you do it?

Mine can be transported in the back of my
pick-up. And then wheeled from parking lot
to boat ramp with the 'shore wheels'.
A couple of years ago the wife helped me and
we went down to Sand Point
(see similar at nearby:
https://www.sailsandpoint.org/
)
and launched, and sailed across Lake Washington
to near Kirkland and back.
Besides our lake, I have also sailed at Lake Ballinger.
I had contemplated sailing it on Puget Sound,
but an experience of capsizing last year kind of
kills that plan.

Good video of a gybe gone wrong in gnarly conditions Wayne.B Cruising 15 November 25th 08 08:33 PM
Water to gybe? ChrisJ General 8 April 22nd 04 01:55 PM
FS Spinnaker new 8.2m head to tack fraggy Cruising 4 March 8th 04 07:04 PM
What tack? DSK ASA 43 November 22nd 03 01:30 AM
Avoiding an Accidental Gybe - suggestions please Sting General 9 September 6th 03 11:19 PM