DSK

Default What tack?

Capetanios Oz wrote:

On what tack is a sailing boat that's head to wind?

It is considered to be on the same tack as it was before going
head to wind.

Here's a tricky one... if a vessel is sailing along close
hauled, and the wind shifts 90 degrees, forcing her sails across
while the vessel continues on a straight course, has she
'tacked'?

Fresh Breezes- Doug King

katysails

Ahhh, one must ask is movement of the helm required for it to be
considered a tack.=20

I'm going to take a stab at this and say that it is a tack since another =
boat approaching later on doesn't know what happened and if it looks =
like a duck....

--=20
katysails
s/v Chanteuse
Kirie Elite 32
http://katysails.tripod.com

Martin Baxter

Capetanios Oz wrote:

On Thu, 13 Nov 2003 06:46:41 -0500, DSK
wrote:

Capetanios Oz wrote:

On what tack is a sailing boat that's head to wind?

It is considered to be on the same tack as it was before going
head to wind.

Correct of course.
I meant to exclude you from answering in the interest of furthering
the education of this motely rabble.

Here's a tricky one... if a vessel is sailing along close
hauled, and the wind shifts 90 degrees, forcing her sails across
while the vessel continues on a straight course, has she
'tacked'?

Ahhh, one must ask is movement of the helm required for it to be
considered a tack.

Oz1...of the 3 twins.

Well, the wind is coming over the other rail, so the vessel
is now on a different tack; ergo the vessel has tacked.

Cheers
Marty
Wally

DSK wrote:

Here's a tricky one... if a vessel is sailing along close
hauled, and the wind shifts 90 degrees, forcing her sails across
while the vessel continues on a straight course, has she
'tacked'?

Not in the sense that the crew have carried out the action of tacking -
everything could be lashed and there might be nobody on board. For colregs
purposes, she is on a different tack, however...

--
Wally
www.makearatherlonglinkthattakesyounowhere.com

Bobsprit

I can be on any tack, I always keep the motor running just incase.

On what tack is a sailing boat that's head to wind?

Oz1...of the 3 twins.

SAIL LOCO

Here's a tricky one... if a vessel is sailing along close
hauled, and the wind shifts 90 degrees, forcing her sails across
while the vessel continues on a straight course, has she
'tacked'?

Yes because the boom went to the other side.

S/V Express 30 "Ringmaster"
Trains are a winter sport
Wally

Capetanios Oz wrote:

Here's a tricky one... if a vessel is sailing along close
hauled, and the wind shifts 90 degrees, forcing her sails across
while the vessel continues on a straight course, has she
'tacked'?

Not in the sense that the crew have carried out the action of
tacking - everything could be lashed and there might be nobody on
board. For colregs purposes, she is on a different tack, however...

However WHAT????

....however, the colregs weren't mentioned in the original question, so the
comment about being on a different tack may be erroneous.

--
Wally
www.makearatherlonglinkthattakesyounowhere.com
Things are always clearer in the cold, post-upload light.

Wally

Capetanios Oz wrote:

Here's a tricky one... if a vessel is sailing along close
hauled, and the wind shifts 90 degrees, forcing her sails across
while the vessel continues on a straight course, has she
'tacked'?

Not in the sense that the crew have carried out the action of
tacking - everything could be lashed and there might be nobody on
board. For colregs purposes, she is on a different tack, however...

However WHAT????

...however, the colregs weren't mentioned in the original question,
so the comment about being on a different tack may be erroneous.

Yikes so even though the wind is coming from the other side the boat
remains on the same tack?

What's the difference between 'being on a tack', and 'tacking'?

--
Wally
www.makearatherlonglinkthattakesyounowhere.com
Things are always clearer in the cold, post-upload light.

Capt. Mooron

For God's Sake .... will you listen to yourselves? It's Pathetic!

The Tack of a windsurfer or a kite sailor.... like who cares?

I've got 6 tons says he loses on impact!

....and if he even groans I'll back over the idiot!

CM