Default Vietnam Era Veterans

On 3/30/2020 10:57 AM, Mr. Luddite wrote:
On 3/30/2020 10:44 AM, John wrote:
On Mon, 30 Mar 2020 10:28:33 -0400, "Mr. Luddite"
wrote:

On 3/30/2020 9:49 AM, wrote:
On Sun, 29 Mar 2020 17:40:59 -0400, "Mr. Luddite"
wrote:

Today is National Vietnam War Era Veterans Day. It is a US holiday
observed annually on March 29. It recognizes veterans who served in
the
US military during the Vietnam War.

A neighboring town up here has a park dedicated to to Vietnam Era
Vets.

I didn't know this until a few months ago that I have
a "brick" in the park walkway.

No clue how it got there or how they got my name.Â* A friend
of mine noticed it when she was at the park and took a
picture of it.

https://funkyimg.com/i/33uvj.jpg

===

I noticed that one of the bricks near you was for a parachute tester.
Assuming that wasn't a joke, and not knowing how they test, that must
be one heck of a hazardous specialty.

Actually it's a rating in the Navy called "PR"Â* (parachute rigger)
but the full job title is, "Aircrew Survival Equipmentman".

A Navy pilot on an aircraft carrier (or even land based) has a
crew of enlisted people who maintain, repair and prep the
pilot's particular aircraft.Â* One of my sons was an
Aviation Electronics Tech who maintained the avionics
on the his assigned pilots' aircraft.

A "PR" is one who packs the parachute ... checks for any
defects and makes any necessary repairs.

A pilot never wants to **** off his PR.Â* :-)

They are a tight knitted crew though and feel responsible
for the pilot's safety.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aircrew_survival_equipmentman

I would have expected a rigger section that handled the chutes for all
the
aircraft. A separate rigger for each aircraft sounds like overkill. In
the Army
we have one company of riggers for an entire division.

In the Navy it *is* a department in which the riggers all work
however each pilot has a crew assigned to him from within the
department.Â* A pilot's PR may not have done any recent repairs
but he still inspects and signs off on his pilot's parachute
before each flight.

Omar the tentmaker was a popular guy on my ship. I'm not sure if he
worked alone or not. I'm guessing he was responsible for 50 or so
chutes. His skills were a hot commodity in the bartering market onboard.

--
Pity Fat Harry. His ability to produce rational thought on his own, no
longer exists, if it ever did at all.

Mr. Luddite wrote:
Today is National Vietnam War Era Veterans Day. It is a US holiday
observed annually on March 29. It recognizes veterans who served in

the
US military during the Vietnam War.

A neighboring town up here has a park dedicated to to Vietnam Era

Vets.

I didn't know this until a few months ago that I have
a "brick" in the park walkway.

No clue how it got there or how they got my name. A friend
of mine noticed it when she was at the park and took a
picture of it.

https://www.avg.com

Thank You for your service!

This is a response to the post seen at:
http://www.jlaforums.com/viewtopic.p...6660#536936660

Off to Vietnam! Maxprop ASA 7 December 6th 05 02:43 PM
Off to Vietnam! Joe ASA 0 October 25th 05 07:01 PM
VietNam Street John Cairns ASA 0 September 6th 04 03:45 AM
(OT) Vietnam Veterans Against John Kerry (Sorry John H) Jim General 18 March 31st 04 06:35 PM
( OT ) Ted Sampley (The head of Vietnam Veterans Against John Kerry)revealed Jim General 3 March 28th 04 09:15 PM