Default OT: Ancestry (not political)

I've been messing around on the Ancestry.com thing for the past couple
of days and was able to trace back, making all the intermediate
connections, to a 9th great-grandfather.

He's on my mother's father's side who's family originated in France.

The dude I found was named "Pierre Martin Pelland" and lived
from 1593 t0 1656.

*That* is a long time ago ..... back in the latter days of
the French Renaissance, if I am not mistaken.

Most of my ethnic origins are from Sweden and Norway.
My mother was about half Swedish by ancestry and the
rest was Irish, British and French.

My father was strictly Sweden and Norwegian.

I was just curious how far back I could trace the French connection.
Tim Tim is offline

Well that could stand to reason. From what I have understood I’d the northern Vikings took over the northern British isles, then traveled by boat to the lower parts of France. The “Gaelic “ is Ireland became the “Gauls” of France.

At least it makes sense to me. Now how they can sort out all that DNA from one country to the next I have no clue

On Fri, 28 Feb 2020 16:16:31 -0500, "Mr. Luddite"
wrote:

I've been messing around on the Ancestry.com thing for the past couple
of days and was able to trace back, making all the intermediate
connections, to a 9th great-grandfather.

He's on my mother's father's side who's family originated in France.

The dude I found was named "Pierre Martin Pelland" and lived
from 1593 t0 1656.

*That* is a long time ago ..... back in the latter days of
the French Renaissance, if I am not mistaken.

Most of my ethnic origins are from Sweden and Norway.
My mother was about half Swedish by ancestry and the
rest was Irish, British and French.

My father was strictly Sweden and Norwegian.

I was just curious how far back I could trace the French connection.

I guess you paid the extra hunday for the European connections. I was
happy to stop at the boat. That still gave me the birth place in UK
where most of my peeps came from.

On 2/28/2020 4:50 PM, Tim wrote:

Well that could stand to reason. From what I have understood I’d the northern Vikings took over the northern British isles, then traveled by boat to the lower parts of France. The “Gaelic “ is Ireland became the “Gauls” of France.

At least it makes sense to me. Now how they can sort out all that DNA from one country to the next I have no clue

I did the Ancestry.com DNA thing a couple of years ago and was following
some of the hints, etc. But I wasn't able to search back beyond about
3 generations, so I cancelled the full subscription and just have
limited access now.

I found that the DNA data base has expanded greatly since I first
joined. (I assume because of more and more people participating).

Now as I go back and find ancestors and add them, a potential father
or mother of that person is indicated. They provide information and
you can confirm by date of birth, death and who they "begot".

wrote:

[...]

No. Funny thing is, I don't even have the full US subscription.
As I add and confirm people who are ancestors, often another
box will pop up with a potential relation going back further.

You can confirm by matching birth and death dates and to whom
*they* are related.

I bought the full boat US registry and spent lots of hours over
several months confirming or denying hints. I did find they will send
you down a rabbit hole that doesn't work when you come back the other
way so I toss that one. I was surprised at how long we have been here
tho. I knew my maternal grandmother's family lived in Southern Md
since colonial times because they are well documented on our side and
most of them are in the St Marys County Historical Society records.
The Oklahoma people on my father's side are the ones who surprised me.
They were in Texas while it was still Mexico and in Oklahoma way
"sooner" than they were supposed to be. I suspect that was why we
always had the Indian thing going on but they must have been bigots
because there are no Mexicans, Spanish or Indians in my DNA and the
only Indian in the documentation seems to be a fauxohontas. The only
record of her is a Texas census entry as a "full blooded Cherokee
woman" but the Cherokee say they never met the girl. I already knew
that was probably bogus when my father claimed to be 1/16 Cherokee on
his CIA application and it was refuted. He still got the job tho.
I almost suspected some African would pop on the DNA if "Jane" was a
freedman (Cherokee) and not on the Dawes Rolls. That was negative too.
My German/Irish grandfather's family on my mother's side seems to have
the worst dead ends. There seems to be a few who just pop up in
Baltimore right before the civil war with no sailing records or birth
records. Others trace back another 100 years in Maryland, Baltimore or
the Eastern Shore.
I may send them another hundred bucks or whatever it is and see how
many blanks I can fill but I sort of lost interest around the 40th
european ancestor. (mostly Irish)

On 2/28/20 8:06 PM, wrote:
On Fri, 28 Feb 2020 19:16:31 -0500, "Mr. Luddite"
wrote:

wrote:

[...]

I only know the native countries of my grandparents and a couple of
their brothers and sisters, and this info only goes back to the late
19th and early 20th Century.

My wife is into ancestry, and has a much larger selection of known
relatives from which to choose, going back to the 1500s. I don't know
the relationship, but one ancestor was Henry Hudson. That Henry Hudson.
No, JustAnAsshole, not the one who "built the car." The English
explorer. Most of her non-American ancestors were English, Irish,
Scottish, and German.

wrote:

[...]

My dad’s Irish side is hard to trace as they were Scot-irish and when the
English tossed those Scots in to Ireland they burdened the records in
Scotland. My mom’s side is pretty well documented and were in New Haven
before Harry’s family, 1657.

On Sat, 29 Feb 2020 16:32:02 -0000 (UTC), Bill

wrote:

[...]

I stopped looking when I got to a European birth (not buying that
service) but I have around 40 traced all the way to the boat. It is
amazing all the surnames that show up but I assume that is a good
thing. My family tree forks ;-)
I did tell my niece, anyone who has a long history in Southern Md is
probably a cousin. Most are probably like Harry tho and just came
there from somewhere else.
I was surprised at how many English and Irish originally settled in
Southern Md in colonial times. They didn't seem to move around much
and for the old families there that is still pretty much true. My
grandmother was the black sheep because she married a route salesman
and moved to DC. She wanted to get the hell out of there and really
did not like going back that much. My grandfather was still there
almost every day. It was his territory selling groceries and hard
goods. When I was there, it was with him, fishing, crabbing and a
couple times, tonging oysters. That was too damned cold for me.
That was how they survived the depression fairly unscathed tho. He
could bring back a trunk full of fresh seafood, dirt cheap and trade
it for things they needed or just cash.

Not to be political... John H[_2_] General 3 March 4th 10 07:36 PM
Non political, political post Eisboch General 27 December 22nd 07 04:07 AM
( OT ) Non political Jim General 3 March 30th 04 07:30 PM
( OT) Not political Jim General 0 March 9th 04 10:08 PM