Tim Tim is offline

Default Tw carvival cruise ships collide

https://wgntv.com/2019/12/20/video-s...ource=facebook

Seems that carnival has been plagued with various mishaps over the years. Makes you wonder how this could happen

On 12/22/19 8:27 AM, Tim wrote:
https://wgntv.com/2019/12/20/video-s...ource=facebook

Seems that carnival has been plagued with various mishaps over the years. Makes you wonder how this could happen

Perhaps Boeing was the contractor on the "avoidance" software...

On Sun, 22 Dec 2019 05:27:25 -0800 (PST), Tim wrote:

https://wgntv.com/2019/12/20/video-s...ource=facebook

Seems that carnival has been plagued with various mishaps over the years. Makes you wonder how this could happen

Carnival is about the cheapest of the cruise lines, but I'd never go on one of their cruises. You're
right, it seems like they have more illness and other problems than all the other cruise lines put
together.

On Sun, 22 Dec 2019 09:49:51 -0500, John H.
wrote:

On Sun, 22 Dec 2019 05:27:25 -0800 (PST), Tim wrote:

https://wgntv.com/2019/12/20/video-s...ource=facebook

Seems that carnival has been plagued with various mishaps over the years. Makes you wonder how this could happen

Carnival is about the cheapest of the cruise lines, but I'd never go on one of their cruises. You're
right, it seems like they have more illness and other problems than all the other cruise lines put
together.

I always say the food and service in general is what you would expect
at a Carnival.

On Sun, 22 Dec 2019 08:45:09 -0500, Keyser Soze
wrote:

On 12/22/19 8:27 AM, Tim wrote:
https://wgntv.com/2019/12/20/video-s...ource=facebook

Seems that carnival has been plagued with various mishaps over the years. Makes you wonder how this could happen

Perhaps Boeing was the contractor on the "avoidance" software...

I was cleaning out my old magazines and I came up with this article. I
was struck by what they said toward the end.

"Boeing meanwhile has been using the software widely to develop and
support its commercial airplanes, military aircraft, and spacecraft.
The company used Pegasus 5 in the development of its wide-bodied
747-8—the longest passenger aircraft in the world—and the latest
versions of the 787 Dreamliner. Pegasus 5 simulations also played a
role in developing the 737 MAX, which first flew in early 2016, and
the 777X, which is slated to fly in 2020."

“Today, much of the uncertainty of analysis and design has been
eliminated,” and much of that is thanks to Pegasus 5.

In May 2016, when Gregg wrote a letter on behalf of Boeing encouraging
NASA to consider Pegasus 5 for the Agency’s Software of the Year
Award, he wrote that “without PEG5, we would not be able to
efficiently design and analyze the wide array of aerospace products
that we build at the Boeing Company.”

wrote:

On 12/22/19 8:27 AM, Tim wrote:
[...]

===

It seems possible that Boeing has some systemic management issues,
similar to the sort of cultural problems that were discovered at NASA
after the first space shuttle disaster. When people fear losing their
jobs for raising a quality or design question, problems that should
have been flushed out and resolved, instead get buried and ignored.
It's a difficult balancing act for organizations that are operating
under rigid scheduling and profitability goals.

That said , it seems unlikely that Carnival's docking mishap was the
result of a hardware or software glitch. More likely it was a
combination of bad judgement, bad weather luck, and possibly a harbor
congiguration that allows insuficient maneuvering room. The captain
may have also been under time pressure since a lot of the shoreside
activities are tightly scheduled. Supposedly the ship got hit with a
powerful 30 kt wind gust at a critical juncture.

wrote:

On Sun, 22 Dec 2019 05:27:25 -0800 (PST), Tim wrote:

https://wgntv.com/2019/12/20/video-s...ource=facebook

Seems that carnival has been plagued with various mishaps over the years. Makes you wonder how this could happen

Carnival is about the cheapest of the cruise lines, but I'd never go on one of their cruises. You're
right, it seems like they have more illness and other problems than all the other cruise lines put
together.

I always say the food and service in general is what you would expect
at a Carnival.

We went on a Carnival cruise 25 years ago. I remember the food and service as being pretty good, certainly not 5 star, but not bad. Then we went on one about 7-8 years ago for an (in-law) family milestone event. We'll never go on another.

We're looking at the Viking river cruises. That's on the list for after retirement.

wrote:

On 12/22/19 8:27 AM, Tim wrote:
[...]

Been there done that at my old company. It was all about "making the
next quarter".

That said , it seems unlikely that Carnival's docking mishap was the
result of a hardware or software glitch. More likely it was a
combination of bad judgement, bad weather luck, and possibly a harbor
congiguration that allows insuficient maneuvering room. The captain
may have also been under time pressure since a lot of the shoreside
activities are tightly scheduled. Supposedly the ship got hit with a
powerful 30 kt wind gust at a critical juncture.

Too much confidence in thrusters I imagine. These guys expect to be
able to make these ships go wherever they want with a push of a joy
stick and that big slab sided sombitch can catch a whole lot of wind.
You are right about time pressures but sometimes I think they just
like to show off. I have seen them do some amazing tricks in the Miami
river with really big ships. I guess Carnival was lucky they didn't
crunch that Russian's yacht. He might have the captain whacked.

wrote:

[...]

My Bradenton IBM buddy went on one in Europe on the Rhine starting in
Amsterdam. He did partake of some smokes in a coffee shop before he
left but he said it was a great cruise.

wrote:

On Sun, 22 Dec 2019 05:27:25 -0800 (PST), Tim wrote:

https://wgntv.com/2019/12/20/video-s...ource=facebook

Seems that carnival has been plagued with various mishaps over the
years. Makes you wonder how this could happen

Carnival is about the cheapest of the cruise lines, but I'd never go on
one of their cruises. You're
right, it seems like they have more illness and other problems than all
the other cruise lines put
together.

I always say the food and service in general is what you would expect
at a Carnival.

Carnival is just one of the cruise lines owned by the same company.
Celebrity, etc. Maybe, just different price points? I think Holland
America was a division.