HK HK is offline

Default U.S. sub, surface ship collide...

A US Navy submarine and an American amphibious ship have collided in the
Strait of Hormuz.

The stretch of water is between Iran and the Arabian peninsula.

According to the navy's Bahrain-based 5th Fleet, the USS Hartford
submarine was submerged before the crash.

Fifteen soldiers aboard the Hartford were slightly injured but able to
return to duty.

No injuries were reported on the amphibious ship, the USS New Orleans.

But the ship suffered a ruptured fuel tank, which resulted in an oil
spill of approximately 25,000 gallons of diesel.

The damage to both vessels is still being evaluated.

Both ships are currently operating under their own power. The crash is
currently under investigation.

The Navy said both ships were on regularly scheduled deployments to the
region and conducting security operations.

Officials said the collision happened about 1am local time.

- - -

"And this is the forward-looking sonar, the instrument that lets you
know if there is a submerged sub in the water ahead of you..."

Maybe our naval ships would be better "captained" by ferry boat
operators, who are usually sharp enough to pay attention to where they
are going.
HK HK is offline

Eisboch wrote:

"HK" wrote in message
m...
Eisboch wrote:

"HK" wrote in message
m...

Maybe our naval ships would be better "captained" by ferry boat
operators, who are usually sharp enough to pay attention to where
they are going.

Idiot.

Eisboch

Are you maintaining that naval warships steam about blindly, and that
there are not instruments on the bridge that detect other ships,
whether surface or subsurface?

Nope. I am maintaining that the comment you made sounds like one of an
idiot.

Eisboch

What rationalization would you offer up for two U.S. warships smacking
into each other? I attributed it to asleep at the wheel.

"HK" wrote in message
m...
[...]

Was Flatulent Jim back on active duty?

On Mar 20, 10:21*am, "Eisboch" wrote:
"HK" wrote in message

m...

Maybe our naval ships would be better "captained" by ferry boat operators,
who are usually sharp enough to pay attention to where they are going.

Idiot.

Eisboch

Indeed, that has to be one of the dumbest statements I've ever heard
an alleged grown man utter. In certainly shed light on just how much
he really DOES know about blue water boating!!!

On Fri, 20 Mar 2009 11:23:54 -0300, "Don White"
wrote:

"HK" wrote in message
om...
[...]

More 'independent thinking', Don?

HK HK is offline

JR North wrote:
Dunno. Here in Puget Sound, we once had a ferry captain run his ferry
agound. Turned out, two comely females in skimpy garb were in the
pilothouse with him at the time.

I can only imagine what was going on at the moment of impact.

"Oh, Captain! How about I run THIS up your mast!"

JR

Works for me. Are their wimmins on subs?

wrote:

"HK" wrote in message
news:LcydneMYyaBxOV7UnZ2dnUVZ_ryWnZ2d@earthlink. com...
[...]

Well .....please warn me if you ever go back on active duty.
I'll stock up with provisions and board myself up in the basement.

When nerds collide... Tom Francis - SWSports General 0 December 3rd 08 11:14 AM
not a tall ship.. but does anyone recognise this 1940s ship? (link in message) Boyd Tall Ship Photos 2 April 2nd 07 05:25 PM
But the water surface was still soft... Tom G General 1 January 10th 07 10:50 PM
gunnel surface Jim Gemmill General 3 May 15th 06 03:34 PM
Ships collide..............Rick, otn, Joe?? Scotty ASA 2 April 2nd 05 09:58 PM