JohnH

Default Best Fishfinder

On Wed, 16 Jul 2003 21:44:57 GMT, "gatt" wrote:

"Jim" wrote in message

I recently began looking around myself. Looks like Furuno has a
reasonably priced unit too. I was satisfied with my Humminbird
200DX unit (admittedly, I used it primarily for depth) until the
unit said I was in 5' of water and my skeg/prop were in the sand
at less than a foot of water.

Interesting. I had the head of my Humminbird Wide 100 stolen off my boat
last year but found lots of them in all conditions on E-Bay and got a new
head (waiting for it in the mail :/) for $45. Didn't have any problems
like that, but I'll remember to keep a +/- 5' factor the future.

The new Humminbird Piranha series are okay and inexpensive but I don't know
how they are for finding fish.

-c

I have a Lowrance X75, and I love it. When it says 1.5 feet, the mud will start
churning! If it says 2 feet, then I'm OK. It works well! (The speed reading is a
little high, however, but I think the previous owner must have cranked it up.)

John
On the 'Poco Loco' out of Deale, MD
D Smyth

I have a Humminbird which I use more as a depth finder. It's much cheaper
than many yet works great. It also gives you the water temperature and you
can buy a speedometer attachment. You can change the graphics to several
different formats. There is an elapsed time counter. It has an adjustable
depth alarm. You get reasonably good graphics of the bottom. I've had it
show depths of over 500 feet and it works well underway. It's also easy to
read in bright sun. It shows battery power and there is a self-diagnostic
feature. My only criticism is that you cannot switch to metric measurement
but that's a minor point.