Tan PS

Default Seaswirl Cordova 230

Hi All

I am looking at purchasing a 1990 230 with a 5.7 Cobra. I am totally new to
I/Os and this boat. Unfortunately the engine could not be started for a sea
trial and owner want to flog it off without spending further money, probably
his wisest decision since buying a boat ;-).

I am only concerned about the boat handling which I had a few adverse
feedback and want to avoid fixing the engne to discover that it does not
have desireable handling. Looking for feedback and advice on the boat
hull/engine characteristic. Following are comments I had, please advise.
Note that boat will be used mainly near shore and 2-3 feet chops are the
norm.

1. Is it suitable for in choppy situations?
2. Does it pound badly in a chop?
3. Does it ride with a high bow?
4. What is the minimum speed you can keep it on plane?
5. Does this engine have any funny quirks?

Thanks in advance.

Tan PS

Capt. Frank Hopkins

Tan,

RE a 1990 230 What?!? Its probably a 23 foot, but is it a cuddy cabin,
center console, pc cruiser or bowrider? Who is the manufacturer?

If you can't start the engine, you should consider a re-maned 5.7 Cobra
is going to cost 8 grand by the time you pay for all the parts and
labor. A rebuild for an IO $1200, for a "minor" on an alpha to $7K or
$8K to reman a Bravo series (assuming major parts needed)

Any well built 23' boat should handle 3 foot chop without any problem.

Bow hi/lo, Trimtabs? Planing speed, Trimtabs? Minimum planning speed
with what weight aboard? full fuel? Passengers, fresh water? All will
affect minimum planing speed, even to where your passengers are seated.

ALL engines have funny quirks!

I would look closely boat before handing over a check.

GET A PROFESSIONAL SURVEY! I capitalized this on purpose.

Capt. Frank

Tan PS wrote:

[...]

Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tan PS View Post
[...]

hi i sold my 89 cordova 230 and wish i did not it is a great handling boat.
it rides medium i trimmed it down but did not like the fuel consumption at all.on a plane it is comfortable in captains lounge as well as setting at the table inside.
jumps right out of the water .
i could stay on a plane as little as 13 miles an hour "i,m not a knots fan".
my motor ran beautifully the only quirks i had at all was the fuel gauge was always on the blink.
o ya i live in the pacific northwest ,well crappy chop almost always . and it cut right through no problem.

i am looking for one if i find her i will not be letting this one get away.