Default NASA

On Monday, November 26, 2018 at 5:01:52 PM UTC-5, wrote:
On Mon, 26 Nov 2018 14:56:53 -0500, Keyser Soze
wrote:

On 11/26/18 2:54 PM, Mr. Luddite wrote:
On 11/26/2018 2:42 PM, Mr. Luddite wrote:

Live streaming Mars landing right now on the NASA website ....
scheduled to land at 3pm EST.

WOW!Â* They successfully landed it on Mars.

All I saw was a bunch of people in a control room wearing maroon shirts....

What, you long for the days when they all wore white shirts with a
skinny tie and a cigarette in their mouth?

The last time I was at Cape Canaveral, they had a recreation of the Apollo mission control room, complete with the ash trays and a couple packs of Lucky Strikes laying around. That was a proper rocket! Wish I could have seen the launch of one. Had to settle for a shuttle launch. Still pretty cool, but the ground doesn't shake.
Tim Tim is offline

wrote:

On 11/26/18 2:54 PM, Mr. Luddite wrote:
On 11/26/2018 2:42 PM, Mr. Luddite wrote:

Live streaming Mars landing right now on the NASA website ....
scheduled to land at 3pm EST.

WOW!Â* They successfully landed it on Mars.

All I saw was a bunch of people in a control room wearing maroon shirts....

What, you long for the days when they all wore white shirts with a
skinny tie and a cigarette in their mouth?

Plus crew cuts and a thousand Honeywell's in the back ground twisting away....

wrote:

On 11/26/18 2:54 PM, Mr. Luddite wrote:
On 11/26/2018 2:42 PM, Mr. Luddite wrote:

Live streaming Mars landing right now on the NASA website ....
scheduled to land at 3pm EST.

WOW!Â* They successfully landed it on Mars.

All I saw was a bunch of people in a control room wearing maroon shirts...

What, you long for the days when they all wore white shirts with a
skinny tie and a cigarette in their mouth?

The last time I was at Cape Canaveral, they had a recreation of the Apollo mission control room, complete with the ash trays and a couple packs of Lucky Strikes laying around. That was a proper rocket! Wish I could have seen the launch of one. Had to settle for a shuttle launch. Still pretty cool, but the ground doesn't shake.

I watched STS 6 (first flight of the Challenger) from that little
campground on US1 near Cocoa Beach (not sure if it is even still
there). It was pretty spectacular. I thought stuff was shaking enough
for me when they fired the SRBs.
I slept in my old van all night and it went off first thing in the
morning. No chance of sleeping through it. When I got there the place
was pretty empty. By sun up there was no parking and barely a place to
stand. People were bumping into the truck milling around. I ended up
climbing on the roof of my truck. I let a couple little kids sit up
there with me.
When it was out of sight and I could get out I drove to DC.

We could see the shuttle from here in Ft Myers most of the time. I
remember when the Challenger blew up. We weren't sure what happened
but we knew it wasn't good.
It was strange watching the first and last launch. It took a while for
me to put that together.

Keyser Soze wrote:

All I saw was a bunch of people in a control room wearing maroon shirts...

They went through a Hawaiian shirt phase a while back. But I think that's
over now.

--
Paul Hovnanian
Message returned to sender -- insufficient voltage.

wrote:

[...]

I had a conversation with a security guy when I was there. He had ridden the crawler a couple of times over the years, and was assigned to John Glen's security detail back in the day. He told me that Apollo launches could break windows on the mainland.

wrote:

On 11/26/18 2:54 PM, Mr. Luddite wrote:
On 11/26/2018 2:42 PM, Mr. Luddite wrote:

Live streaming Mars landing right now on the NASA website ....
scheduled to land at 3pm EST.

WOW!* They successfully landed it on Mars.

All I saw was a bunch of people in a control room wearing maroon shirts...

What, you long for the days when they all wore white shirts with a
skinny tie and a cigarette in their mouth?

The last time I was at Cape Canaveral, they had a recreation of the Apollo mission control room, complete with the ash trays and a couple packs of Lucky Strikes laying around. That was a proper rocket! Wish I could have seen the launch of one. Had to settle for a shuttle launch. Still pretty cool, but the ground doesn't shake.

I was working at Cape Canveral when two Saturns were launched in early 1965. We lay down on the roof
of our office (US Coast and Geodetic Survey) and had a great view. Yes, the ground shook, but we
were right there on the base.

wrote:

[...]

Saturn V's had 7.5 million pounds of thrust. The space shuttle didn't beat up the astronauts nearly as bad as a Saturn did.

The guy that started the company I work for was working at NASA in the early days. He says they announce a launch, then he and his coworkers would walk outside. A rocket would go up, blow up, and they would go back inside and get back to work. It took a while, even with the confiscated V-2's to learn from, for NASA to get it right.

Rocket Science is real, and Germans make damned good engineers.

wrote:

[...]

I worked there during late '64 and until June '65. Didn't see one rocket blow up. Did see a bunch go
up though.

wrote:

[...]

Think earlier, like late 50's.

wrote:

[...]

Musta been a sweet spot in the space program. ;-)
I grew up with Vanguard. (my dad was a navy guy then)
I agree, the reason it took so long to get to the moon was safety
concerns and they actually did pretty damned good considering.
Even with a catastrophic failure the NASA system and the hardware
brought them home.
I might sound like Harry but I wouldn't mind more DoD money being
spent in space. The space program has always piggy backed off DoD or
CIA dollars.
There are a few Hubble telescopes. Only one is pointed up, (Maybe why
the original mirror was nearsighted). ;-)
I do think robot probes are the way to go until we answer a whole lot
more questions. We should really know more about where we are going
before we actually put a man in a rocket. It really looks like Musk is
working on keeping people alive. He is our best hope for that near
earth orbit thing (that we buy from the Russians). NASA should keep
looking from here and perfecting the trick to live there. We are way
far away from that and a weekend on Mars is a waste of everything.

Head of Nasa on GW Gordon Cruising 0 June 1st 07 05:02 PM
Nasa Dealing with a UFO Joe ASA 3 September 20th 06 04:22 AM
[email protected] jim-- General 1 August 19th 04 12:01 AM
Nasa VHF - any experience? Frank UK Power Boats 1 September 18th 03 01:43 PM
Nasa stingray brian clode Electronics 0 August 3rd 03 09:46 AM