Default Nuclear Fusion

On 11/17/2018 12:29 PM, Bill wrote:
wrote:
On Fri, 16 Nov 2018 23:57:37 -0500,
wrote:

On Fri, 16 Nov 2018 17:14:58 -0500, John H.
wrote:

Interesting article. Looks promising.

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-46219656

===

It does sound promising but workable fusion has been anywhere from 5
to 30 years away for a long time.

That is the way I see it. We are damned good at an uncontrolled fusion
reaction tho.
We understand how to start them up. We just don't know how to do it in
a bottle. The problems make disposing of some spent fuel rods seem
trivial compared to fusion without blowing up the city if the plasma
gets away from you.

The plasma getting away, just seems to make the fire go out. I live the
next city over from the Lawrence Livermore Labs and they have been studying
fusion for a long time. They know very well how to make uncontainable
fusion. But getting a positive energy result out of the reactor is the
problem. They have got out more energy than they put in, but not enough to
pay for the process.
https://www.llnl.gov/news/nif-achiev...e-fusion-yield

Luddite can go back in to the business of making thin film energy capsules.

The thin film deposition systems we built for the Laboratory for Laser
Energetics ( University of Rochester, Omega project) was used to put
thin film coatings on the large laser optics used in the laser beam
line. Without the coatings the power of the laser would destroy the glass.

When NIF was built, the power of it's laser was many times that
of the Omega system. Lawrence Livermore went out for bids for the
necessary coatings but nobody could meet the necessary laser damage
threshold. They ended up having the coatings done (at least initially)
in the system we had built for Omega because it was the only one that
could come close to meeting the specs. It was more "know-how" by the
thin film engineers than the system but it was a feather in our cap
none-the-less.

Turns out the laser damage was probably one of the reasons the project
at Lawrence Livermore was abandoned, although not the only reason.
The power in those laser beams is just too much for many of the optics,
even with highly sophisticated coatings. The optics used are incredibly
expensive to make, polish and coat.

On Sat, 17 Nov 2018 10:03:11 -0500, Keyser Söze
wrote:

Mr. Luddite wrote:
wrote:

Interesting article. Looks promising.

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-46219656

I’ve got my eye on a slightly used deLorean.

I'd be careful. OEM Flux Capacitors aren't made anymore
and the cheap imitations made in China may get you there
but leave you stranded in the future or the past.

wrote:

Interesting article. Looks promising.

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-46219656

I’ve got my eye on a slightly used deLorean.

I'd be careful.Â*Â* OEM Flux Capacitors aren't made anymore
and the cheap imitations made in China may get you there
but leave you stranded in the future or the past.

On the up side, you could go back with me to Amity and I could fix you
up with one of the Woodbridge/Orange/Cheshire babes I knew back then...

wrote:

Interesting article. Looks promising.

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-46219656

I’ve got my eye on a slightly used deLorean.

I'd be careful.Â*Â* OEM Flux Capacitors aren't made anymore
and the cheap imitations made in China may get you there
but leave you stranded in the future or the past.

On the up side, you could go back with me to Amity and I could fix you
up with one of the Woodbridge/Orange/Cheshire babes I knew back then...

Methinks Mrs.E. would disapprove of that idea.

wrote:

Interesting article. Looks promising.

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-46219656

===

It does sound promising but workable fusion has been anywhere from 5
to 30 years away for a long time.

The Omega project at the Laboratory for Laser Energetics and the NIF
project at Lawrence Livermore National Labs are both pursuing
nuclear fusion among other things. Huge laser bays focusing
multiple, high powered laser beams onto a tiny pellet of deuterium
simultaneously
and only for a few microseconds. In the case of the Omega system the
power delivered on the pellet can be as high as 60 terawatts. The
larger NIF laser can deliver 500 terawatts. The instantaneous
temperature of the plasma created can be many times the temperature
of the sun but it still requires more energy "in" than it produces
"out". The NIF laser has achieved about one third the power required
for a laser induced nuclear fusion reaction.

I am certainly not one to judge but based on my limited knowledge of
this research, we are still a long, long ways to having viable nuclear
fusion reactors for home or local power generation.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Ignition_Facility

Gosh, so I probably won't be able to buy a new toyota with a nuclear
fusion engine in my lifetime? Darn!

At your age, and health, you may not buy another car in your lifetime.
Darn!

wrote:

[...]

Upon re-reading the Wiki article on the NIF program it appears that
they gave up trying to create laser induced nuclear fusion. Just
wasn't feasible and after years of attempts they couldn't come close.

Doesn't mean another method may come along but it still requires an
enormous amount of energy.

So, the 190 beam NIF laser is now used for it's intended use, the
development and testing of nuclear weapons under conditions that do not
violate the nuclear arms testing treaty.

Should make your day. :-)

I’ve got my eye on a slightly used deLorean.

Just say you bought one. Just like your other lies.

wrote:

[...]

You know he has one. He arrived to NY in it with a firetruck welcome.

On Sat, 17 Nov 2018 22:12:55 -0500, Alex wrote:

wrote:

[...]

He's already got the quarter-mile driveway and Maryland-red barn in which to store it! Hope his two
owls don't poop all over it.

Nuclear NIMBY Harry[_2_] General 1 February 1st 10 10:39 PM
Repugs to “go nuclear” Cliff General 0 April 19th 09 06:31 AM
Repugs to “go nuclear” Tim General 2 April 11th 09 02:25 PM
Nuclear Proliferation Gilligan ASA 10 November 16th 06 11:55 PM