Default Upper...

On Fri, 2 Nov 2018 08:10:51 -0400, Keyser Soze wrote:

On 11/1/18 11:09 PM, Tim wrote:

8:31
Where you are, you could be shooting one hole groups ... or you could
find another range that reaches out a little farther.
The most I ever wanted to achieve was hitting a rabbit or squirrel in
the head at 50-75 yards and I an not even interested in that anymore.
I still like breaking claybirds on a skeet range and I want to
maintain my "point and shoot" skills with my handguns but beyond that
I am not much of a shooter these days. There is a guy who wants to
trade me a NorChinko M14 and a bunch of money (He says a grand, I say
$1500) for my M1A and I might do it. Either would be sitting in my
safe and he says the M14 shoots as well as I would ever need.
I am just not sure what a pre-ban M1A is worth.

Well without looking hard, Cabella’s sells a brand new Remington M1A for $1,699.00 and whatever other charges

Some of the reviews I've looked at recently about current production
Springfield M1A's are giving them "thumbs down" for accuracy. $1700 is a
lot of dinero for a rifle that might or might not do a 1" MOA or better
at 100 yards. Even some cheapo ($800 or so) .308 AR-type rifles can do
that.

How much does an M1A weigh with a reasonably sized mag and a scope?

My guess, with a scope, 10+ pounds but that is not horrible and helps
handle the recoil of a full sized rifle cartridge. It is not like
either of us are humping these things 20 miles a day.
A pound or two one way or the other doesn't mean a lot when you are
just carrying it in from the car.
That was the excuse the army made when they ditched the M14 for the
M16. The weight of the rifle and a few hundred rounds of ammo was
significantly less. They were talking about soldiers carrying it all
day over hill and dale along with everything else they need to
survive.
I do think it is a little ironic that when we had an army that walked
all the way across Europe we used a full sized battle rifle and now
when the use of vehicles is the rule, they needed a smaller rifle. My
dad was one of the first people to point it out to me. He said that
once he waded ashore, he was never in a vehicle again until VE day.

On 11/1/18 11:09 PM, Tim wrote:

[...]

Carrying a 10-pound rifle on a good sling across your back is not
particularly onerous. Patrolling in the jungle with a rifle in your
hands and ready to deploy in sometimes very tight spaces is another matter.

Weight of ammo is a factor...a .223 round weighs about 11 grams. A .308
round weighs more than twice as much, more than 25 grams.

On 11/1/18 11:09 PM, Tim wrote:

[...]

Exactly my point. Are you going on a jungle patrol any time soon?

BTW my Marine Recon buddy did spend a lot of time on jungle patrols
and he preferred his M-14. It was more reliable and that big bullet
penetrated the jungle better.
He was a little guy too.

On Fri, 2 Nov 2018 13:07:39 -0400, Keyser Soze wrote:

Weight of ammo is a factor...a .223 round weighs about 11 grams. A .308
round weighs more than twice as much, more than 25 grams.

You're gonna need a bigger truck to drive to the range.

Keyser Soze wrote:
On 11/2/18 11:47 AM, Bill wrote:
Keyser Soze wrote:
On 11/1/18 11:09 PM, Tim wrote:

[...]

If I am target shooting, a heavy rifle is preferable. Dampen the kick.
Put the AR style recoil system on a heavy rifle, and sweet to shoot.
Humping through a jungle, light weight is preferable.

The M1A does not have an "AR style" recoil system. My new .308 has an AR
style recoil system, but I haven't shot it yet. I do have a "fancy"
muzzle device for it that is supposed to control muzzle flip and recoil.
We will see. With the optic and bipod, I'm guessing a weight of 9 to 9.5
pounds for the rifle. It's got an 18" "heavy barrel."

Maybe you should go back to 3rd rate uni and take another reading
comprehension course. Where did I state the M1A had an AR system?

On Fri, 2 Nov 2018 15:47:12 -0000 (UTC), Bill
wrote:

But you could see your red barn at least a 1000 yards away.

===

But, as the saying goes, could he hit the broad side of a barn?

It does seem appropriate that he has a gas operated rifle given his
abundance of hot air.

---
https://www.avg.com

On Fri, 2 Nov 2018 12:18:37 -0400, Keyser Soze wrote:

On 11/2/18 11:47 AM, Bill wrote:
Keyser Soze wrote:
On 11/1/18 11:09 PM, Tim wrote:

[...]

After shooting a few boxes of 308 through it, you'll wish the barrel
was twice as heavy.

---
https://www.avg.com

Tim Tim is offline

Keyser Soze
Carrying a 10-pound rifle on a good sling across your back is not
particularly onerous. Patrolling in the jungle with a rifle in your
hands and ready to deploy in sometimes very tight spaces is another matter.

Weight of ammo is a factor...a .223 round weighs about 11 grams. A .308
round weighs more than twice as much, more than 25 grams.

Only in a basic maneuvers but I had no real problem hoofing a 25 lb M60 as well as a 9 lb. M16A1 with a loaded mag. I guess that was one of the advantages (or curses) of being the biggest kid in the class...

On 11/2/18 11:47 AM, Bill wrote:
Keyser Soze wrote:
On 11/1/18 11:09 PM, Tim wrote:

[...]

The .308 ammo I used is pricey, and I only take a couple of dozen rounds
with me to the range. I take a lot of .22LR ammo, though. It is
cheap...again.

On 11/2/18 11:47 AM, Bill wrote:
Keyser Soze wrote:
On 11/1/18 11:09 PM, Tim wrote:

[...]

The last couple times I took my M1A out, I took 3 30 round mags and
shot them but it was NATO surplus ammo, not match grade. I think it
was a quarter a round or so shipped ... a while ago.