Default TV sucks

We cut the cord a while ago and my wife pretty much just streams
everything she watches. She will watch the Voice and the Ninja warrior
with her finger on the skip button. (shut up and do your "thing")
We watch the local news for a little while just to see the weather and
find out who was shot. I watch some of the Sunday shows and a little
of the old rerun stuff on the sub channels (recorded so I can skip the
commercials). As a rule TV sucks.
She was really excited about the reboot of Murphy Brown but she is
****ed at the half hour sitcom. Recorded it is just 18 minutes of show
with a lot of skipped commercials and it is gone. She really wants
something that is dropped as a season and you can binge watch it,
without commercials. I am still burning my way through the BBC, PBS
and History network shows on Netflix and Amazon.

Cable sucks and is expensive. Young people don't want it. My s9ns just stream what they want on their computers.
Just recently a competitive competitor to our provider offered us a deal we couldn't refuse so we changed. The pod providers retention dept called and admitted they could't compete. Then when taking the old equipment back to the store...the old guys pulled out the hard sell...offering to beat our new provider by $15.00 per month. I was a bit ****ed so we said forget it...we've changed for two years unless we're unhappy with the new service. I feel sorry for anyone who doesn't at least try to negotiate with the pirates.

On 10/12/2018 9:37 AM, True North wrote:

Cable sucks and is expensive. Young people don't want it. My s9ns just stream what they want on their computers.
Just recently a competitive competitor to our provider offered us a deal we couldn't refuse so we changed. The pod providers retention dept called and admitted they could't compete. Then when taking the old equipment back to the store...the old guys pulled out the hard sell...offering to beat our new provider by $15.00 per month. I was a bit ****ed so we said forget it...we've changed for two years unless we're unhappy with the new service. I feel sorry for anyone who doesn't at least try to negotiate with the pirates.

Problem where we live is that Comcast is the only game in town for
Internet service and you need it to stream anything.

The cable TV portion of our monthly bill is very inexpensive for
"enhanced" basic service. The largest part of the bill is for Internet
service. I am not a big movie watcher, so I don't need a bunch of movie
channels. The cable service we have gives us all the Red Sox and
Patriots games plus things like the History Channel, Discovery Channel,
cable news like MSNBC, Fox, CNN, all the local network channels and
about 100 other channels that I never watch.

Mrs.E. likes movies but she just streams them via Netflix, Amazon, etc.
or orders them "On Demand" occasionally.

On Fri, 12 Oct 2018 06:37:54 -0700 (PDT), True North wrote:

Cable sucks and is expensive. Young people don't want it. My s9ns just stream what they want on their computers.
Just recently a competitive competitor to our provider offered us a deal we couldn't refuse so we changed. The pod providers retention dept called and admitted they could't compete. Then when taking the old equipment back to the store...the old guys pulled out the hard sell...offering to beat our new provider by $15.00 per month. I was a bit ****ed so we said forget it...we've changed for two years unless we're unhappy with the new service. I feel sorry for anyone who doesn't at least try to negotiate with the pirates.

I won't argue with Cox anymore. We have Verizon available. The last two times Cox has tried to raise
our rates, I let my wife do the talking. She got a better deal for the next two years than we've had
any time during the past ten!

On Fri, 12 Oct 2018 10:18:52 -0400, "Mr. Luddite"
wrote:

[...]

I am using DSL from the phone company. Comcast reliability is really
bad here. I am going to watch how all of the new "plant" they had to
install after Irma works out but so far it really does not seem to be
making them better. My FIL has Comcast and he uses his Echo/Alexa
thing a lot. He says the Comcast seems to be down a lot. We have not
tried to quantify that but when I had an online weather station I had
to turn off the logs because the hits were filling up the log file too
much. My wife had Comcast at the club, with a high dollar "commercial
grade" account and she was on the phone with them a lot. Part of the
problem is the idiots they have at the call centers. She had the
direct number for the call center manager and it still was not that
great.

wrote:

[...]

These days many of the call center folks are in India or Pakistan. They
speak lousy English and are no real help. When I have a Comcast issue
that is not the mundane stuff, I drive a couple of miles over to the
Comcast area office and bitch at the service people there. They know
what they are doing.

wrote:

On 10/12/2018 9:37 AM, True North wrote:

Cable sucks and is expensive.Â* Young people don't want it. My s9ns
just stream what they want on their computers.
Just recently a competitive competitor to our provider offered us a
deal we couldn't refuse so we changed. The pod providers retention
dept called and admitted they could't compete. Then when taking the
old equipment back to the store...the old guys pulled out the hard
sell...offering to beat our new provider by $15.00 per month. I was
a bit ****ed so we said forget it...we've changed for two years
unless we're unhappy with the new service.Â* I feel sorry for anyone
who doesn't at least try to negotiate with the pirates.

Problem where we live is that Comcast is the only game in town for
Internet service and you need it to stream anything.

The cable TV portion of our monthly bill is very inexpensive for
"enhanced" basic service. The largest part of the bill is for Internet
service.Â* I am not a big movie watcher, so I don't need a bunch of movie
channels.Â* The cable service we have gives us all the Red Sox and
[...]

We haven't had a Comcast outage since last winter during a heavy
snowstorm in which we also lost power. Comcast was back on-line
a day before the power company restored power. I was able to run
a box and TV off of the generator. Before that I can't remember a
cable outage at all other than an occasional minor blip that might last
15 seconds at most. Picture freezes, then a message appears saying the
cable signal has been interrupted and then it comes back on, all within
a few seconds. It could simply be due to Comcast techs working on lines
somewhere.

wrote:

[...]

Depends on location. When we moved in to this house in 1979. Cable was
not very good. Our area was one of the first areas to get cable back
then. By 1980’s cable had lots of problems. A few years ago, they
installed all,new cable, and is rarely a problem.

wrote:

[...]

Same here. They also updated all the equipment in customer's houses.
Got rid of all splitters and installed multi-channel distribution
amplifiers. I think that's why it's so reliable now.

wrote:

[...]

I understand Comcast may be the gold standard up north but they are
just the guy, who bought the guy, who bought the guy, down here and
some of their "plant" was left over from South Florida cable 3
companies and 2 hardware generations ago. Irma may have been the best
thing that could have happened to them, assuming they build back new
and not just put another patch on a lousy network.
My neighbor worked for the original company 30 years ago and now he is
a Comcast consultant/contractor that they send when they are fixing to
lose a big commercial customer. What I say is based on what he told my
wife when they sent him to her club. (after the standard pitch)

The USA sucks... Salmonbait[_2_] General 35 February 17th 13 02:09 PM
This sucks! Eisboch General 5 December 22nd 08 05:30 AM
Well, this sucks... Short Wave Sportfishing[_2_] General 28 June 25th 08 01:31 AM
Kia Sucks jlrogers[_2_] ASA 3 November 21st 07 01:44 AM
This Sucks Skip Gundlach Boat Building 7 February 19th 06 11:56 PM