Default The New Puppy

On Wed, 10 Oct 2018 19:08:27 -0400, John H.
wrote:

On Wed, 10 Oct 2018 13:17:29 -0400, wrote:

On Wed, 10 Oct 2018 07:01:41 -0400, John H.
wrote:

On Tue, 09 Oct 2018 18:36:13 -0400,
wrote:

On Tue, 09 Oct 2018 15:06:18 -0400, John H.
wrote:

On Tue, 9 Oct 2018 09:49:21 -0700 (PDT), Its Me wrote:

On Tuesday, October 9, 2018 at 12:28:21 PM UTC-4, wrote:
On Tue, 09 Oct 2018 05:29:45 -0400, John H.
wrote:

On Mon, 08 Oct 2018 19:46:14 -0400,
wrote:

On Mon, 08 Oct 2018 18:23:30 -0400, John H.
wrote:

On Mon, 8 Oct 2018 16:19:05 -0000 (UTC), Bill wrote:

John H. wrote:
On Sun, 07 Oct 2018 19:32:17 -0400, Wayne.B wrote:

On Sun, 07 Oct 2018 16:03:36 -0400, John H.
wrote:

Adopted yesterday. Cute little Redbone coonhound. Named her 'Koko',
which might be Navajo for
'coondog'.

http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l2...and%20Dad.jpeg

http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l2...d%20Sandy.jpeg

http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l2...o%20Sleeps.jpg

http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l2...ith%20Dad.jpeg

Adopting a dog is tiring work!

===

Did you have to go through a home visitation and reference checks?
Some friends of ours in FL did all that.

Absolutely. You wouldn't believe all the questions on the application.
The home visit hasn't
occurred yet, but will be in the next week.

For a Redbone, you may need a falling down porch. ’

The doggie day care person and my vet both think the daddy may have been a bloodhound! I'm hoping
they're wrong.

Hmmm a coon hound and a bloodhound. I hope you like singing ;-)
That might end up being a pretty big dog too. At 11 weeks Deuce was 22
pounds. He is more like 108 now.

Size is my major worry. This dog is 17.4 on the vet's scale yesterday at 11 weeks. I'd wanted a
medium, about 45 lbs dog. Large dogs don't live as long as smaller ones. I could be looking at 65-70
lbs when fully grown. Hope like hell they're wrong.

Plan on it.
The official breed standard is up to 75 pounds and if there is really
bloodhound in there they can be over 100. When I asked the vet whether
DNA test on Deuce was worth doing (since he is 20# over the breed
standard) he told me that is pretty common these days and the AKC is
looking at changing the standards.

Maybe that's why bred labs have a reputation for bad knees and hips. They've been bred over the years to be bigger and their joints can't take it?

I know Buddy came up limping twice in years 2-3, and the vet said his hips were good but the knees can be a problem. Anti-inflammatory meds got him through it, and he's calmed down enough now that it shouldn't be a problem again. He could get crazy playing fetch back in the day. After a couple of tosses he'd decide to do

some
full-speed figure 8's around the yard. That's what got him both times.

My lab tore her CCL and had to be operated on. My next door neighbor's lab is extremely obese. I
would be worry about her CCL's also. But, they continue to overfeed it.

I was pretty happy that Ed never had any of those problems and he was
a big lab (110-115 pounds)
Deuce weighs almost that much but he is 3" taller, at least. That is
why I really wanted the DNA test. I think he is not as pure as his
papers would indicate. I am going to go through some old pictures one
of these days and see if I can find a few with Ed standing next to
something I can measure because we never really measured him when he
was alive. He did look more like a traditional lab than Deuce.
Deuce is 28-29" at the shoulder.

What DNA test are you talking about?

The Vet has a DNA test that will tell you what your dog really is.

Groupon has a deal going now for $42. Will give it some thought.

The vet actually talked me out of it 3 times.
For Deuce and Ed they said it is just going to come back Lab.

For Auggie they said there will be so many markers it won't really be
useful
http://gfretwell.com/ftp/Auggie%20on%20watch.jpg

wrote:

[...]

I think Ed's will come back 'lab and something else'.

wrote:

[...]

Ed was a pound dog. Deuce came with papers.
If that turns out to be wrong, lots of local people are going to be
****ed.

A Puppy named Kia Bob Crantz ASA 0 June 8th 06 08:55 PM
puppy aboard problem just me Cruising 7 January 8th 06 05:54 AM
See Ben, Larry, Dan, & Mary feed the Sick Puppy! [nt] Oci-One Kanubi General 0 October 16th 03 10:18 PM
water puppy GAZ Cruising 0 July 14th 03 01:16 AM