Default Rope vs line... again

On Monday, November 29, 1993 at 6:53:54 AM UTC-6, wrote:
I need an opinion form the rest of the rec.boaters out there.
As many of you know, I used the word rope in a discussion about anchors.
Someone pointed out that it was a line rather than a rope. I looked it
up in Webster and determined that line and rope are the same thing, but
the guy listed below is still giving me a hard time about it. What
do the rest of you think.

Is there really any difference between rope and line? If I told someone
around here to "give me a line", I would either get fishing line or an
offer to sleep with them. If I ask for a rope, I will get exactly what I
wanted. Now am I expected to use "line" when I mean "rope", just because
Fabbian says I should?

*********** Begin discussion from e-mail *************
written by dsc
written by dsc
Like you said, I *can* say rope...

Sure you can. But it won't be correct nautical usage. In the
world of boats rope is stuff you buy on reels so you can make up lines. In
other words, rope is the raw material from which lines are made. Once rope
is cut to length and employed for a specific use on a boat it is called a
line.

That's all a bunch of crap...

No, it isn't. It's an instruction in proper usage. Perhaps you
have some iconoclastic reason to remain ignorant of proper usage but that
doesn't alter the facts. Ignorance is excusable and easily cured with a
bit of education. Your kind of agressive, determined ignorance is just
plain stupid.

--
--Fabbian G.Dufoe, III
350 Ling-A-Mor Terrace South |

********** End discussion form e-mail ***********

Sorry,
It's not ignorance... I am aware that "line" is used to mean rope by many
boaters, but its also called rope by many boaters. You know when I first
started this discussion, quite by accident, I was kind of joking around
with it. But now I'm kinda ****ed about it. There was a discussion on
here about snobbery amongst boaters and I have the feeling that this
rope/line thing fits perfectly... people that say line think they are
better/above people that say rope.

Fabbian, by your own definition ("Once rope is cut to length and
employed for a specific use on a boat it is called a line.") the thing
tied to my anchor is a rope. It doesn't have a specific use. I use it
for a great many things, on the boat and off. And I stand by by belief
that "rope" and "line" are interchangeable in most uses on land or water.

Of course, If you are on a vessle with a chain of command that says use
"line", you better use "line" because it is correct on *that* vessel. On
my boat, I'm the command (don't tell my wife), and I will understand and
accept either "line" or "rope" with out making any assumptions about
your intelligence level.

dsc

In USCG boot camp many years ago, we were told that "rope" is in the warehouse, and "line" is on the job. Even if it's stored on a boat/ship, it's still "line" - kept in the "line locker". It refers more to its status or use than being a physical difference.

On Thu, 14 Jun 2018 07:20:22 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

[...]

When you tie it to an anchor it is a rode and if it is tied to a sail
it is a sheet. Back in the sailing ship days, when most of these terms
were coined, they had ropes going everywhere so they wanted to more
closely define each use one may have.

wrote:

[...]

This has to be close to a record for one of the oldest threads on rec.boats.

OP posted it on November 29, 1993.

Tim Tim is offline

10:37
When you tie it to an anchor it is a rode and if it is tied to a sail
it is a sheet. Back in the sailing ship days, when most of these terms
were coined, they had ropes going everywhere so they wanted to more
closely define each use one may have.

That’s what I always thought. If it was “towable” or “tossable” it’s usually a “line”. If it’s to be more of a solid fixture like for masts and sails then it’s a “rope” not necessarily a “line” and on an anchor it’s a “rode”

Interesting...

On Thursday, 14 June 2018 12:54:54 UTC-3, Tim wrote:
10:37
When you tie it to an anchor it is a rode and if it is tied to a sail
it is a sheet. Back in the sailing ship days, when most of these terms
were coined, they had ropes going everywhere so they wanted to more
closely define each use one may have.

That’s what I always thought. If it was “towable” or “tossable” it’s usually a “line”. If it’s to be more of a solid fixture like for masts and sails then it’s a “rope” not necessarily a “line” and on an anchor it’s a “rode”

Interesting...

If it's to raise a sail, it's a halyard...to control a sail, a sheet. If used to tie up small dinghies, a painter. To tie up a larger vessel, a line (that is bow line, stern line, spring lines etc)

On Thu, 14 Jun 2018 09:08:33 -0700 (PDT), True North
wrote:

On Thursday, 14 June 2018 12:54:54 UTC-3, Tim wrote:
10:37
When you tie it to an anchor it is a rode and if it is tied to a sail
it is a sheet. Back in the sailing ship days, when most of these terms
were coined, they had ropes going everywhere so they wanted to more
closely define each use one may have.

That’s what I always thought. If it was “towable” or “tossable” it’s usually a “line”. If it’s to be more of a solid fixture like for masts and sails then it’s a “rope” not necessarily a “line” and on an anchor it’s a “rode”

Interesting...

If it's to raise a sail, it's a halyard...to control a sail, a sheet. If used to tie up small dinghies, a painter. To tie up a larger vessel, a line (that is bow line, stern line, spring lines etc)

Like I said, on an old sailing vessel with rope going everywhere they
had to give them distinctive names to know what the hell they were
talking about.
Tim Tim is offline

Mr. Luddite
This has to be close to a record for one of the oldest threads on rec.boats..

OP posted it on November 29, 1993.

I thought I’d seen a few from the late 80s

Buffet Line - Empire Sandy buffet line 2013-0801 IMG_3875.jpg Steve[_10_] Tall Ship Photos 0 September 4th 13 05:55 PM
Line/rope SteveB[_2_] General 1 April 25th 09 07:23 PM
Line by line debunking of latest BuSh attack ad..... JimH General 16 October 24th 04 05:06 PM
Rope tricks Urban Domeij General 0 June 24th 03 06:26 AM