Urban Domeij

Default Rope tricks

"Capt. Matt" wrote in message . ..
Just got done with my third eye splice in as many weeks, pain in the ass if
you ask me. Just wondering, have you ever 'paid' to get a knot or splice
done? Just curious of what people may pay to "tie one on" and were do you
go? West Marine?

Thanks,
Matt

I guess you were using one of the toolkits that are around where
you are supposed to push some kind of needle through the line,
those are awkward.

Now that you got the general idea, the tool to use is a wire loop,
that you push into the line where you want to pull out the end.
Then you do all thinning by removing individual yarns from each
bundle of yarns that forms the tubing. Do the marking as per
instructions that come with the splicing set.

The tricky lines to splice are those that have a bundle of
straight yarns in the center. The technique is similar to
a Marlow line (the one with three strands in the core)
although the Marlow line is best if you make a cross splice
in the three strand stuff and pull it back into the mantle...

But of course, I did splices professionally for some years,
it's not all that simple if you won't make more than a few. ;-)

Urban

Physics Question CCred68046 General 38 June 6th 04 02:58 AM
( OT ) Stupid campaign tricks Bush tours Ohio on Canadian bus Jim General 0 May 5th 04 12:57 PM
Self rescure idea TWall10618 General 51 November 1st 03 07:06 PM
Rope clutches Glenn Ashmore Cruising 8 October 16th 03 07:17 PM
Bolt rope track for dodger? Glenn Ashmore Boat Building 8 July 14th 03 06:46 AM