Default Victory at Sea

I'm up to the eighth episode of about 26. Have to admit the Netflix "World War II in Color" is much
better. "Victory at Sea" seems to have been produced to build morale, not be a documentary of the
war. Much time spent on ships going across the water and main guns firing. Actually just a lot of
wasted time where the narrator says nothing.

That's not to say it isn't enjoyable. It is. But I found the Netflix version much more so.

John H. wrote:
I'm up to the eighth episode of about 26. Have to admit the Netflix
"World War II in Color" is much
better. "Victory at Sea" seems to have been produced to build morale, not
be a documentary of the
war. Much time spent on ships going across the water and main guns
firing. Actually just a lot of
wasted time where the narrator says nothing.

That's not to say it isn't enjoyable. It is. But I found the Netflix version much more so.

Victory at sea was done to honor the veterans. Was done by the network
after the war, I think, and he each segment was shown with no breaks or

On Tue, 05 Jun 2018 07:03:03 -0400, John H.
wrote:

I'm up to the eighth episode of about 26. Have to admit the Netflix "World War II in Color" is much
better. "Victory at Sea" seems to have been produced to build morale, not be a documentary of the
war. Much time spent on ships going across the water and main guns firing. Actually just a lot of
wasted time where the narrator says nothing.

That's not to say it isn't enjoyable. It is. But I found the Netflix version much more so.

Victory at Sea is mostly a showcase for Richard Rodgers' music. At the
time it was seen as a real masterpiece tho. My dad had access to it on
16MM film, borrowed from the navy and we sat around a neighbor's house
and watched the whole thing, one reel a night. (all he could bring
home at one time). That was before TV was a thing and it was really
cool for 7-10 year old boys. We usually watched each reel several
times. They were probably only 15 minutes long but it seemed like it
was a lot.
It is interesting how much of that video footage shows up as B roll in
other productions tho. That shot of the destroyer vectoring across a
periscope shot has shown up in everything from 50s and 60s sub movies
to McHale's Navy.
The same is true of most of that old WWII footage.
They really love that shot of the German soldier walking down the road
carrying the STG44 and they use it a lot, even in scenes depicting
time before the gun was designed.

On Tue, 5 Jun 2018 15:30:25 -0000 (UTC), Bill wrote:

John H. wrote:
I'm up to the eighth episode of about 26. Have to admit the Netflix
"World War II in Color" is much
better. "Victory at Sea" seems to have been produced to build morale, not
be a documentary of the
war. Much time spent on ships going across the water and main guns
firing. Actually just a lot of
wasted time where the narrator says nothing.

That's not to say it isn't enjoyable. It is. But I found the Netflix version much more so.

Victory at sea was done to honor the veterans. Was done by the network
after the war, I think, and he each segment was shown with no breaks or

1952. It is definitely done in a way to promote patriotism. I'm enjoying it, but a lot of the
patriotism rendering and time filling with ships riding the seas could be spent telling the history.

John H. wrote:
I'm up to the eighth episode of about 26. Have to admit the Netflix
"World War II in Color" is much
better. "Victory at Sea" seems to have been produced to build morale, not
be a documentary of the
war. Much time spent on ships going across the water and main guns
firing. Actually just a lot of
wasted time where the narrator says nothing.

That's not to say it isn't enjoyable. It is. But I found the Netflix version much more so.

Victory at sea was done to honor the veterans. Was done by the network
after the war, I think, and he each segment was shown with no breaks or

1952. It is definitely done in a way to promote patriotism. I'm enjoying it, but a lot of the
patriotism rendering and time filling with ships riding the seas could be spent telling the history.

In 1952 I am not sure Truman really wanted us to know that much about
the history. He wanted the party line to be "evil rose it's ugly head
and we saved the world". "Now feel good about yourself and try to
forget I got you into another war we are not going to win."

John H. wrote:

John H. wrote:
I'm up to the eighth episode of about 26. Have to admit the Netflix
"World War II in Color" is much
better. "Victory at Sea" seems to have been produced to build morale, not
be a documentary of the
war. Much time spent on ships going across the water and main guns
firing. Actually just a lot of
wasted time where the narrator says nothing.

That's not to say it isn't enjoyable. It is. But I found the Netflix
version much more so.

Victory at sea was done to honor the veterans. Was done by the network
after the war, I think, and he each segment was shown with no breaks or

1952. It is definitely done in a way to promote patriotism. I'm enjoying
it, but a lot of the
patriotism rendering and time filling with ships riding the seas could be
spent telling the history.

I think it shows what the sailors went through. Lots of nasty seas, hours
of boring time and minutes of terror.

That's fine, but don't spend half of every episode doing so!

I loved that show when I was kid. I actually have DVD of the show. Bought
them years ago for like $10 the set.

John H. wrote:
[...]

Cheaper now. This is what I'm watching. Got it a couple weeks ago after Mike mentioned it.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

John H. wrote:
[...]

Was years ago, and was in a $10 bin at Walmart.

John H. wrote:
[...]

Here's the complete series on YouTube.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLMOJ05TrdIZA7pNQa5YjrHuPIDPdHPIod

wrote:

John H. wrote:
I'm up to the eighth episode of about 26. Have to admit the
Netflix
"World War II in Color" is much
better. "Victory at Sea" seems to have been produced to build
morale, not
be a documentary of the
war. Much time spent on ships going across the water and main guns
firing. Actually just a lot of
wasted time where the narrator says nothing.

That's not to say it isn't enjoyable. It is. But I found the
Netflix
version much more so.

Victory at sea was done to honor the veterans.Â*Â* Was done by the
network
after the war, I think, and he each segment wasÂ* shown with no
breaks or

1952. It is definitely done in a way to promote patriotism. I'm
enjoying
it, but a lot of the
patriotism rendering and time filling with ships riding the seas
could be
spent telling the history.

I think it shows what the sailors went through.Â* Lots of nasty
seas, hours
of boring time and minutes of terror.

That's fine, but don't spend half of every episode doing so!

I loved that show when I was kid.Â* I actually have DVD of the show.
Bought
them years ago for like $10 the set.

Cheaper now. This is what I'm watching. Got it a couple weeks ago
after Mike mentioned it.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Was years ago, and was in a $10 bin at Walmart.

Here's the complete series on YouTube.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLMOJ05TrdIZA7pNQa5YjrHuPIDPdHPIod

Many of these WWII series, whatever their overriding topic, use the same
footage over and over, from series to series. I've seen the same footage
of the Germans attacking Russia and Russia running the Germans out of
their homeland 10 times in 10 different series and, of course, most of
the time you can't really tell what precisely is taking place, where or
when.

Victory Keyser Söze General 87 June 24th 16 06:59 PM
Carnival Victory MWB[_2_] Tall Ship Photos 0 January 29th 09 06:41 AM
What's with Wilderness/Victory? BREWERPAUL General 1 May 25th 04 09:23 PM
No Victory For Bush Bobsprit ASA 43 July 14th 03 10:51 PM