Default Feakin' Weird

Cold, rainy two days so I've been holed up doing next to nothing.

Tired of politics and listening to all the political pundits so
I've been watching a PBS series on Amazon Prime video about
how the human brain works.

Not a lot is understood but what is know is freaking me out.

For example:

Sight. We don't often think about how it works but most assume
it's like a CCD camera or something where images are focused on
the retina, transmitted to the brain via the optic nerves and
we "see".

Doesn't work that way at all.

We are not actually "seeing" anything. What we are visualizing is the
brain's (specifically the Thalamus section) interpretation of the
electrical impulses it receives via the optical nerves which it compares
to a vast data base of previously acquired and created visualizations
that have been generated, stored and updated since you first opened
your eyes as an infant. What you "see" is your own, personal
reality and not necessarily what others "see". You "see" a
tree and, unless there's something unique or special about it,
the thalamus just draws from the data previously stored and
adds that to the generated image. The amount of new data
it processes is very small compared to the amount of previously
acquired data it uses to create the visualization.

First time I drove to the store after watching this, I was
thinking about it and started wondering if the car I saw
slowing down ahead of me was really there. :-)

On 6/4/18 4:37 PM, Mr. Luddite wrote:

Cold, rainy two days so I've been holed up doing next to nothing.

Tired of politics and listening to all the political pundits so
I've been watching a PBS series on Amazon Prime videoÂ* about
how the human brain works.

Not a lot is understood but what is know is freaking me out.

For example:

Sight.Â* We don't often think about how it works but most assume
it's like a CCD camera or something where images are focused on
the retina, transmitted to the brain via the optic nerves and
we "see".

Doesn't work that way at all.

We are not actually "seeing" anything.Â* What we are visualizing is the
brain's (specifically the Thalamus section) interpretation of the
electrical impulses it receives via the optical nerves which it compares
to a vast data base of previously acquired and created visualizations
that have been generated, stored and updated since you first opened
your eyes as an infant.Â* What you "see" is your own, personal
reality and not necessarily what others "see".Â* You "see" a
tree and, unless there's something unique or special about it,
the thalamus just draws from the data previously stored and
adds that to the generated image.Â* The amount of new data
it processes is very small compared to the amount of previously
acquired data it uses to create the visualization.

First time I drove to the store after watching this, I was
thinking about it and started wondering if the car I saw
slowing down ahead of me was really there.Â*Â*Â* :-)

Well, that last thought of yours implies you are eating too many magic
'shrooms.

On 6/4/2018 4:41 PM, Keyser Soze wrote:
[...]

'shrooms.Â*Â*

Reminded me of the Nissan Pathfinder I briefly owned. It had the
automatic braking system that would apply the brakes if you were
about to smash into something.

Curious as I was, I decided not to see how well it worked.

On Mon, 4 Jun 2018 16:51:27 -0400, "Mr. Luddite"
wrote:

[...]

I was always afraid it would slam on the brakes when I was pulling a
NASCAR move changing lanes and get me rear ended by a truck.

wrote:

[...]

Too much "stuff" on cars that only raises their prices. My wife's auto
tran Toyota has a console mounted shifter *and* paddle shifters mounted
to the steering wheel. I have no idea why Toyota included the latter;
her Camry by no stretch of any imagination is a "performance" car.
Fortunately, it doesn't have "auto braking," either.

Keyser Soze

"Too much "stuff" on cars that only raises their prices. My wife's autoÂ*
tran Toyota has a console mounted shifter *and* paddle shifters mountedÂ*
to the steering wheel. I have no idea why Toyota included the latter;Â*
her Camry by no stretch of any imagination is a "performance" car.Â*
Fortunately, it doesn't have "auto braking," either."

Up here we can't even get the six cylinder in a Camry anymore.

wrote:

[...]

Reminded me of the Nissan Pathfinder I briefly owned.Â* It had the
automatic braking system that would apply the brakes if you were
about to smash into something.

Curious as I was, I decided not to see how well it worked.

I was always afraid it would slam on the brakes when I was pulling a
NASCAR move changing lanes and get me rear ended by a truck.

Too much "stuff" on cars that only raises their prices. My wife's auto
tran Toyota has a console mounted shifter *and* paddle shifters mounted
to the steering wheel. I have no idea why Toyota included the latter;
her Camry by no stretch of any imagination is a "performance" car.
Fortunately, it doesn't have "auto braking," either.

You can thank federal regulators for mandating the auto braking system.
Back in March of 2016 an agreement was reached with the National
Highway Traffic Safety Administration, the Insurance Institute for
Highway Safety and most auto manufacturers to make the system
mandatory on all autos by 2022.

wrote:

[...]

It must work pretty well. Many car manufacturers have it available as
an option or as standard equipment now-a-days. You don't hear of many
accidents occurring because it activates when it shouldn't.

wrote:

[...]

It must work pretty well.Â* Many car manufacturers have it available as
an option or as standard equipment now-a-days.Â* You don't hear of many
accidents occurring because it activates when it shouldn't.

I think those towing big campers should have to mount a big screen TV on
the outside of the back side of their motel rooms on wheels with cameras
pointing forward on the front of the tow vehicle so that drivers behind
them can see the road ahead. Being behind those behemoths while they bob
and weave and strain to get up hills on the interstate is not a pleasant
experience.

wrote:

[...]

There's a message in there somewhere!

Not so weird ! Poquito Loco General 16 May 25th 14 03:05 AM
Okay This is weird! NotNow[_3_] General 16 August 14th 09 01:12 AM
This is like WAY weird... Short Wave Sportfishing General 16 December 15th 07 05:17 AM
Ok - this is really weird... Short Wave Sportfishing General 7 June 7th 07 02:25 PM
Weird .... Eisboch General 8 December 8th 04 07:04 PM