Tim Tim is offline

Default Adding to the ranks

On Friday, May 11, 2018 at 9:52:53 PM UTC-5, wrote:
On Fri, 11 May 2018 19:39:39 -0700 (PDT), Tim
wrote:

Its Me
I like the way you think!

https://www.benningtonmarine.com/models/q30-10-wide-twin-engine/

Cause you can.

600 hp? Oh my!!!

If you look at the LOTA shootouts you see tri toons with trip 350s on
them. (probably 400s by now)

Obviously, some people really like their toys.

On Friday, May 11, 2018 at 10:39:40 PM UTC-4, Tim wrote:
Its Me
I like the way you think!

https://www.benningtonmarine.com/models/q30-10-wide-twin-engine/

Cause you can.

600 hp? Oh my!!!

The Yammy 250 can drink a 50 gallon tank nearly dry in a day of playing. That's not poking around or cruising, but serious tubing, skiing, and hauling ass.

Acting like you have some sense, the 250 4 stroke is pretty thrifty compared to the 150 2 stroke.

It's all just having fun. Pay to play.

On Fri, 11 May 2018 22:48:45 -0400, Wayne.B
wrote:

On Fri, 11 May 2018 20:45:19 -0400, wrote:

On Fri, 11 May 2018 17:58:06 -0400, Wayne.B
wrote:

On Fri, 11 May 2018 16:57:31 -0400, "Mr. Luddite"
wrote:

In many ways those days with little boats and little outboards were just
as much fun and have just as fond memories in my mind as the big, diesel
powered boats that came later.

===

I agree. For pure joy of boating and just being on the water it's
hard to beat a small boat. Frequently the high point of our boating
trips on the trawler is launching the inflatable dinghy and going
exploring with it - reminds me of being a kid again.

I really liked buzzing around in the river and the bay in my 12' Jon
boat. It was my first boat when I moved here. There just wasn't a way
to bring Judy along so I had to get a bigger boat.
I had an old office chair with missing wheels that I got for free and
it was tied to the stringers in the boat with a PVC pipe extending the
tiller of my 7.5 Merc. (50% over powered)
It ran out around 17-18 MPH according to the guys I ran with and that
is flying in a Jon boat.

===

We've got a 20 horse Honda on our 12 ft inflatable. It's propped for
power not speed but it will still hit 20 kts if you're brave enough.
That's scary fast in a little rubber boat but 15 or 16 is comfortable
and stable in reasonably flat water.

This is a 12 Jon boat, still pretty squirrely going fast but I liked
it. Most of the time I was going 12-15 about 3/4 throttle that sounds
better to me.
You don't get much better for finding your way around the mangroves
tho. If you really get stuck, jump out and drag it back into deeper
water.

wrote:

[...]

I used to fool around in the Sears 12 footer. Made a tiller extension
so I could sit in the middle seat because it went faster that way.
My other fun was sitting in the rear seat and giving it just enough
gas to plow without getting on a plane. Made the biggest waves
for the water skiers zooming around me to hit.

On 5/11/2018 10:39 PM, Tim wrote:
Its Me
I like the way you think!

https://www.benningtonmarine.com/models/q30-10-wide-twin-engine/

Cause you can.

600 hp? Oh my!!!

I knew a guy in the marina we were in that had a 33' Yellow Fin set up
just like this one. He took me out for a ride in Buzzard's Bay one
Saturday. Scary fast.

https://images1.select.network/marine/1262/5437246/2013-yellowfin-300-verado-5.jpg
Tim Tim is offline

On Friday, May 11, 2018 at 7:42:38 PM UTC-5, Alex wrote:
Tim wrote:
2:18 PMKeyser Soze
On 5/11/18 10:12 AM, Tim wrote:
Now I have 3, an 85 horse and a 140 horse Evinrude, also a guy just gave me a really nice 115 hp Mercury 115 “tower of power” . Yes,... gave me. Though obsolete,these 2-cycle engines are mechanically sound and trustworthy.

I’ve found another 30’ r only this time it’s a tri-toon., minus an engine. For doing a lot no range river cruise (approx 300 mile 1way) I’m wondering which power would best be suited between the 115 merc or the 140 Evinrude.
I really doubt one would be more economical than the other. But seeing I’m not paying forvengines there’s lots of room on the card for fuel.
Decisions decisions...

Is that 3 hp one of those delightful Evinrude Lightwins from the early
1950s?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_HmhZVQUwI

....,

3 engines. An 85 hp Evinrude, a 140 hp Evinrude, and a 115 hp Mercury.

My nephew has acquired some little air cooled outboard with a little round gas tank in it don’t know what the make or power of it is, though.

Briggs and Stratton made an air-cooled outboard for a while.

Yes, they've toy'd with outboards off and on for a while. even made a single four stroke inboard with a transmission. But I found what the kid has.

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthoped...-mid-501802120
Tim Tim is offline

On Saturday, May 12, 2018 at 5:11:38 AM UTC-5, Mr. Luddite wrote:
On 5/11/2018 10:39 PM, Tim wrote:
Its Me
I like the way you think!

https://www.benningtonmarine.com/models/q30-10-wide-twin-engine/

Cause you can.

600 hp? Oh my!!!

I knew a guy in the marina we were in that had a 33' Yellow Fin set up
just like this one. He took me out for a ride in Buzzard's Bay one
Saturday. Scary fast.

https://images1.select.network/marine/1262/5437246/2013-yellowfin-300-verado-5.jpg

That looks like something Tom Francis would have done. LOL! Scary fast? I would imagine!

On 5/11/2018 10:39 PM, Tim wrote:
Its Me
I like the way you think!

https://www.benningtonmarine.com/models/q30-10-wide-twin-engine/

Cause you can.

600 hp? Oh my!!!

I knew a guy in the marina we were in that had a 33' Yellow Fin set up
just like this one. He took me out for a ride in Buzzard's Bay one
Saturday. Scary fast.

https://images1.select.network/marine/1262/5437246/2013-yellowfin-300-verado-5.jpg

That looks like something Tom Francis would have done. LOL! Scary fast? I would imagine!

You think this one will get up on a plane?

https://tinyurl.com/y75sm23x

wrote:

[...]

I had a 3 hp Evinrude on a 12' "Skimmar" one summer when I was a little
kid. Seemed fast enough to me, especially since the other kids my age
were still powering their little boats with oars. About halfway through
the summer, my dad took the outboard to his shop for service but brought
back a 7-1/2 hp Evinrude he took in on trade. Boat really flew with that
motor.

The 3 hp motors were very reliable. Our summer neighbor, a retired
printer, had one on a 12' dory for many years, and he'd go way out into
the Sound fishing a few times a week. After every use, he'd carry the
motor up to a 55 gallon drum in his yard and run it in fresh water until
the gas in the tank ran out...then he'd wash the outside of the motor
and wipe it down with an oily rag.