Monarch Canvas

Default adding a bowsprit

I own a Cheoy Lee 30 ft ketch, that is an H28 design. I wish to add a bowsprit
to increase my sail area which is about 345 sqft now. I also want to be able to
better balance its windward capabilities. what I need to know is will the Port
Orford cedar
beam (6x6) I have be of sufficient strength when carved down to a taperred
billet, 2.5in at the tip on a 60in length and terminating at a 5x5 in. base,
have sufficient strength for the load. The sprit will have bobstays.
thanx
Rags
Steve

Sounds like you have the Bermuda 30. Ah! I dreamed about that boat for
years and even visited the Cheoy Lee boat yard where they were still
building her in the mid '60s.

25 years later I purchased a Cheoy Lee Clipper 33..

Back to your question.. I'm no expert on wood species but several of my
older boat had douglas fir bowsprits (the clipper 33 was spruce bow
plateform).

The load here will be mostly compression and most anything that would be
good for mast building would work for the bowsprit. IMHO

Since the weight is down low, I wouldn't worry about that too much. The
hardware is going to be more than the timber..

You might also want to keep rot resistance since you will have a number of
metal fitting where water can get under..

Good luck..

Steve
s/v Good Intentions

BTW. I have some of the original Cheoy Lee sales brochures here if you would
want a scanned copy.

William R. Watt

According to the illustrated Gaelic-English dictionary bowsprits on fishing
boats were 4x4 and called the "crann spreiod", "crann dall", or "cran
uisge" depending on dialect. It's intersting to note that in the cletic
languages a boat is masculine on land but feminine afloat.

"Steve" ) writes:
[...]

homepage: www.ncf.ca/~ag384/top.htm

Retractable Bowsprit Bruce Boat Building 11 February 2nd 04 08:23 PM
Adding Decks and Lockers Bob La Londe Boat Building 3 December 21st 03 01:25 AM
query about adding a fixed trim plate richg99 Boat Building 3 September 25th 03 09:03 PM
adding kicker motor Jim General 1 September 10th 03 08:10 PM
Adding lead ballast Lorence M Boat Building 0 July 9th 03 02:19 AM