Jim--

Default OT--Economy Grows at Fastest Pace Since 1984

"Gould 0738" wrote in message
Since your having such a problem figuring this out-

(In millions)
Source-US Federal Government

1997
GDP 8,185,200
Debt 5,369,694

Gross debt to GDP 65.6%

2002
GDP 10,336,600
Debt 6,137,074

Gross debt to GDP 59.3%

Class dismissed.

Try using the actual GDP figure for 2002.
Not something you got hell knows where to make your example work

9485.6

Nice try though. You had a couple of right wingers hootin' and hollerin'

and
rootin you on. Guess they'll believe anything they see in print that

verifies a
preconception.

Billions of chained (1996) dollars
Seasonally adjusted at annual rates
2002 2002:Q3 2002:Q4 2003:Q1

2003:Q2
2003:Q3
Gross domestic product (GDP)... 9439.9 9485.6 9518.2 9552.0 9629.4

9797.2

Cite:

http://www.bea.gov/briefrm/tables/ebr1.htm

And your 3 hour search resulted in what? Perhaps disputing another poster
to this forum. Even if I believed your figures, BFD.

Get a life man.

Gould 0738

And your 3 hour search resulted in what? Perhaps disputing another poster
to this forum. Even if I believed your figures, BFD.

Get a life man.

What? Ticked off when the example used to prove the right wing fallacy was
shown to be based on an erroneous number?

My 3-hour search took 30 seconds.

Nobody suggets you believe "my" number.
I didn't offer a number. The GDP figure is
computed by the FEDGOV. Follow the cite.

The party attempting to prove the right wing point simply stated his numbers
came from "The US Government." Okay.
I on the other hand showed my actual, official specific government source, and
you find it less than credible?
Jim--

"Gould 0738" wrote in message
And your 3 hour search resulted in what? Perhaps disputing another

poster
to this forum. Even if I believed your figures, BFD.

Get a life man.

What? Ticked off when the example used to prove the right wing fallacy was
shown to be based on an erroneous number?

My 3-hour search took 30 seconds.

Nobody suggets you believe "my" number.
I didn't offer a number. The GDP figure is
computed by the FEDGOV. Follow the cite.

The party attempting to prove the right wing point simply stated his

numbers
came from "The US Government." Okay.
I on the other hand showed my actual, official specific government source,

and
you find it less than credible?

A tip: Take the boat out for a cruise. Take your wife out to dinner. Have
some friends over for some food and drinks. But quite spending your waking
hours in this forum Chuck. It is not healthy. It is not productive. ;-)

Joe

Nice try though. You had a couple of right wingers hootin' and hollerin'

and
rootin you on. Guess they'll believe anything they see in print that

verifies a
preconception.

Nice try yourself.
I used actual dollars, you used the CPI (Chained price index).
When comparing the percent of national debt to GDP the CPI is not used. To
compute the GDP/Debt ratio you must use actual dollars

Funny how you want to use a CPI number to lower the GDP, but still use the
actual debt dollars.
If you reduced the dollar value of the outstanding debt using the same CPI,
you would still arrive at my numbers, not yours.

BTW using your skewed numbers the 1997 debt is only 0.19% less than 2002.

Joe

The knockout blow is a sucker punch. And he seems to have suckered you big
time.
If you'd like to see what the *real* GDP was in 2002, follow this link:

As stated, your numbers are not actual dollars, they are a guesstimate of
the buying power as compared to another year (1996).
If you MUST use the CPI, apply it to debt value also.

Joe

My 3-hour search took 30 seconds.

Search a little longer and read for content next time.

Nobody suggets you believe "my" number.
I didn't offer a number. The GDP figure is
computed by the FEDGOV. Follow the cite.

There are"actual" GDP dollars, and than CPI "adjusted" numbers.
As stated, you have tried to skew the results by applying a CPI number to
one side of the equation and not the other.

The party attempting to prove the right wing point simply stated his

numbers
came from "The US Government." Okay.

Here's the link to all of my data-
http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/usbud...2004/hist.html

I on the other hand showed my actual, official specific government source,

and
you find it less than credible?

Again, you are incorrectly applying a modifier not applicable to our
original comparison which is GDP to Debt ratio.

Gould 0738

BTW using your skewed numbers the 1997 debt is only 0.19% less than 2002.

The numbers aren't skewed. And yes, I know the difference is very slight and
acknowledged the same in my earlier post on this same issue.

Nice try yourself.
I used actual dollars, you used the CPI (Chained price index).
When comparing the percent of national debt to GDP the CPI is not used. To
compute the GDP/Debt ratio you must use actual dollars

According to whom?

The Bureau of Economic Analysis report doesn't seem to furnish us with sets of
figures from which to pick and choose. I simply used the figure the government
reported. Where did you get your figure?
Gould 0738

Your number came off the "White House" web site. Aha. I didn't check to see
how the Bush administration was choosing to report the numbers.

Here's the link to all of my data-
http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/usbud...2004/hist.html

Joe

"Gould 0738" wrote in message
BTW using your skewed numbers the 1997 debt is only 0.19% less than 2002.

The numbers aren't skewed. And yes, I know the difference is very slight

and
acknowledged the same in my earlier post on this same issue.

The numbers are skewed, they are not the actual dollars, the are adjusted
using the CPI.
If you wanted to compare the buying power of different year GDP's you would
use this number.

Nice try yourself.
I used actual dollars, you used the CPI (Chained price index).
When comparing the percent of national debt to GDP the CPI is not used.

compute the GDP/Debt ratio you must use actual dollars

According to whom?

The Federal Government-

This spreadsheet shows the actual dollars in GDP for each year
http://www.whitehouse.gov/omb/budget...s/hist01z2.xls

This spreadsheet shows the actual debt in dollars for each year.
http://www.whitehouse.gov/omb/budget...s/hist07z1.xls

Pay particular attention to columns G,H, and I. These are the percentages of
GDP to debt sorted in Gross, Held by Government, and Held by Public.
These percentages are calculated using actual dollars, run the numbers
yourself.

Joe

"Gould 0738" wrote in message
Your number came off the "White House" web site. Aha. I didn't check to

see
how the Bush administration was choosing to report the numbers.

Here's the link to all of my data-
http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/usbud...2004/hist.html

These are historical tables compiled by the Federal Government.