Default Salesman lesson for Don White

On Sat, 21 Apr 2018 22:25:26 -0400, Alex wrote:

wrote:
On Sat, 21 Apr 2018 17:35:55 -0700 (PDT), Tim
wrote:

Mr. Luddite
Damn thing has a display as big as my bedroom TV filled with
"stuff" to turn on/off or adjust. Told her to be careful with it and
keep her eyes on the road.

It has a peppy V6 but also has the feature that turns the engine
off when you stop for a red light or something. Starts up again
when you take your foot off the brake.

Fortunately, there's a button that allows you to disable that
feature. It would drive me nuts.

I remember vw experimented with that feature in the early 70s. It was a ploy to raise overall fueled economy and cut pollution. Didn’t go over well.
I see Jeep is offering it as well as offering a solution if you want out.

GM tried the 4-6-8 feature too where they started blocking off
cylinders and that went away pretty fast too.

Mercury outboards (holy **** - an on-topic post!) has/had some 4
cylinder engines that worked the same way. When the other two cylinders
kicked in it was quite abrupt.

Close as I have been to that is the V-Tech in my Honda where they
shift the valve timing a little 5000 RPM It is a pretty good little
bump in performance.

On 4/21/2018 8:35 PM, Tim wrote:
Mr. Luddite
Damn thing has a display as big as my bedroom TV filled with
"stuff" to turn on/off or adjust. Told her to be careful with it and
keep her eyes on the road.

It has a peppy V6 but also has the feature that turns the engine
off when you stop for a red light or something. Starts up again
when you take your foot off the brake.

Fortunately, there's a button that allows you to disable that
feature. It would drive me nuts.

I remember vw experimented with that feature in the early 70s. It was a ploy to raise overall fueled economy and cut pollution. Didn’t go over well.
I see Jeep is offering it as well as offering a solution if you want out.

Yeah, there's a button in my daughter's new Jeep that disables it.

wrote:

Mr. Luddite
Damn thing has a display as big as my bedroom TV filled with
"stuff" to turn on/off or adjust. Told her to be careful with it and
keep her eyes on the road.

It has a peppy V6 but also has the feature that turns the engine
off when you stop for a red light or something. Starts up again
when you take your foot off the brake.

Fortunately, there's a button that allows you to disable that
feature. It would drive me nuts.

I remember vw experimented with that feature in the early 70s. It was a ploy to raise overall fueled economy and cut pollution. Didn’t go over well.
I see Jeep is offering it as well as offering a solution if you want out.

GM tried the 4-6-8 feature too where they started blocking off
cylinders and that went away pretty fast too.

I knew a guy who had that system in a Caddy. It was terrible. The
switching was very noticeable and it was problem prone.

The one in my truck seems to work well. It just cuts out two cylinders
under light load conditions. If it wasn't for a little indicator on the
driver's display that says "V6" or "V4" you don't even know it's
happening. In fact, I didn't know it did it when I first got the truck.
I thought I was going nuts one day because I noticed the display
indicated "V4" and was a different color when it normally is "V6".
I initially thought something was wrong with the truck until I
reluctantly dug out the owner's manual and read about it.

wrote:

Mr. Luddite
Damn thing has a display as big as my bedroom TV filled with
"stuff" to turn on/off or adjust.Â* Told her to be careful with it and
keep her eyes on the road.

It has a peppy V6 but also has the feature that turns the engine
off when you stop for a red light or something.Â* Starts up again
when you take your foot off the brake.

Fortunately, there's a button that allows you to disable that
feature.Â* It would drive me nuts.

I remember vw experimented with that feature in the early 70s. It was
a ploy to raise overall fueled economy and cut pollution.Â* Didn’t go
over well.
I see Jeep is offering it as well as offering a solution if you want
out.

GM tried the 4-6-8 feature too where they started blocking off
cylinders and that went away pretty fast too.

Mercury outboards (holy **** - an on-topic post!) has/had some 4
cylinder engines that worked the same way.Â* When the other two cylinders
kicked in it was quite abrupt.

Yup. I had one. Under about 2,000 RPM it ran on two cylinders. Above
that, the other two kicked in. Almost threw me out of my 16' Boston
Whaler the first time I kicked up the throttle leaving Scituate Harbor.

That was a terrible motor. It was a two stroke and had a large plastic
reservoir under the cowling that you filled with 2 stroke oil that was
automatically mixed with straight gas from the gas tank. That was fine
but whenever you tilted the engine up it leaked oil all over the place.
I could never determine where it was coming from.

On 4/21/2018 8:39 PM, Tim wrote:
Mr. Luddite
On 4/21/2018 6:59 PM, wrote:
On Sat, 21 Apr 2018 14:25:16 -0700 (PDT), Tim
wrote:

Mr. Luddite
My daughter just got rid of her little Jeep Liberty in favor of a 2019
Jeep Cherokee. Thing is loaded with every option imaginable ... too
much, IMO.

But, it's not bad for a Fiat.
———————
Keep- Just Empty Every Pocket.

===

Fiat = Fix It Again Tony.

---
http://www.avg.com

I am sure I've mentioned this before but we had a Fiat 850 Spyder in
Italy. It was only a couple of years old, so it ran fine. We had
a blast with it, driving all over Italy. Of course, it was before
we had kids although Mrs.E. was pregnant with our first.

Don't know if this will work, but I'll give it a try:

http://oi66.tinypic.com/vr90uu.jpg

I still have a brand new starter for one of those around my shop somewhere.

I have a cousin in Florida who bought an Americanized Fiat 850 Spyder
with intentions of restoring it. I warned him but he didn't listen.
He didn't own it long. Gave up.

wrote:

Mr. Luddite
My daughter just got rid of her little Jeep Liberty in favor of a 2019
Jeep Cherokee. Thing is loaded with every option imaginable ... too
much, IMO.

But, it's not bad for a Fiat.
———————
Keep- Just Empty Every Pocket.

===

Fiat = Fix It Again Tony.

---
http://www.avg.com

I am sure I've mentioned this before but we had a Fiat 850 Spyder in
Italy. It was only a couple of years old, so it ran fine. We had
a blast with it, driving all over Italy. Of course, it was before
we had kids although Mrs.E. was pregnant with our first.

Don't know if this will work, but I'll give it a try:

http://oi66.tinypic.com/vr90uu.jpg

Closest I came to owning a Fiat was my 4 door Lada sedan. It was based on the Fiat 124. Seems the Fiat people sold the rights to the Russians to build their copy.
Mrs E looks right at home over there with that Italian sports car.

That's the car that she learned to drive a stick shift in. I tried
teaching her but got too frustrated with the grinding of gears, jerking
and stalling. Then I had to do a two week patrol on the ship I was
stationed on and when it returned to port in Naples there she was
at the dock in the car to pick me up. One of her girlfriends with a lot
more patience than I had taught her while I was gone.

We enjoyed living in Italy for the two years we were there. Had a lot
of fun when the Navy wasn't interrupting us to go hunt for Soviet subs.

On Sun, 22 Apr 2018 07:41:04 -0400, "Mr. Luddite"
wrote:

Yup. I had one. Under about 2,000 RPM it ran on two cylinders. Above
that, the other two kicked in. Almost threw me out of my 16' Boston
Whaler the first time I kicked up the throttle leaving Scituate Harbor.

That was a terrible motor. It was a two stroke and had a large plastic
reservoir under the cowling that you filled with 2 stroke oil that was
automatically mixed with straight gas from the gas tank. That was fine
but whenever you tilted the engine up it leaked oil all over the place.
I could never determine where it was coming from.

I had that oil reservoir on my 75 Mariner/Merc/Yamaha. I found out
pretty quick that you only fill it about 3/4 of the way or the oil
runs out when you tilt it. That is where the level stabilizes after it
has been tilted a few days. I marked the tank at that spot as "full".
It doesn't really pour out since it is coming from the vent so it is
not apparent it is leaking right away.
I was new to the whole oil injection thing and I was thinking this
thing sure does use a lot of oil.
I was wet slipping the boat when that motor was new because my lift
was still under construction and I got a few weeks of experience ;-)

Such a Salesman, this Krausie Guy GC Boater General 1 July 7th 09 04:45 AM
Used Boat Salesman Joe ASA 0 November 18th 05 01:35 AM
Lesson for Old Thom Capt. Rob ASA 15 November 8th 05 03:18 AM
A Lesson In Size... Don White General 0 August 14th 03 08:39 PM