Default Justan, John, tim, Greg, Richard...

On Sat, 24 Mar 2018 07:13:33 -0400, "Mr. Luddite"
wrote:

On 3/24/2018 12:47 AM, Tim wrote:

11:36 PMBill
Tim wrote:
I absently left Wayne and Bill out of the headers list of DD214
recipients. My apologies gentlemen...

I did not get a DD214. I was Air Force and they use a different number.
Was looking for the DD214 when I went to social Security Administration
office.

Didn’t know that, Bill. I thought all branches were under DoD with Dd214 sign out. Except Greg would have been under the Dept if the Treasury. Don’t know about coast guard...

*All* discharged members of the Air Force, Navy, Marines, USCG and Army
who served on active duty since 1950 receive an original form DD-214.
It is the official record of your military service. Before 1950 each
service had their own, unique separation forms.

The DD-214 is issued in two forms ... the "long" form and a "short"
form. The long form contains more detailed information but the short
form is used for most requests for verification of service.

DD Form 256 (Honorable Discharge Certificate) or DD Form 257 (General
Discharge Certificate) are issued for those who serve in the reserves
and are not called up for active duty. Reservists who are not federally
deployed do not receive a DD-214 and are not eligible for veteran's
benefits unless they were injured during scheduled training exercises
and file a claim with the VA.

There is a form called the DD-215 which is used to correct any errors
on the original DD-214.

The DD-214 contains the following info as a minimum:

Date and place of entry into active duty
Home address at time of entry
Date and place of release from active duty
Home address after separation
Last duty assignment and rank
Military job specialty
Military education
Decorations, medals, badges, citations, and campaign awards
Total creditable service
Foreign service credited
Separation information (type of separation, character of service,
authority and reason for separation, separation and reenlistment
eligibility codes)

When you are discharged, here's how the originals are disbursed:

A DD Form 214/215 is prepared in eight copies and distributed as follows:

Copy 1 – Service Member
Copy 2 – Service Personnel File
Copy 3 – United States Department of Veterans Affairs
Copy 4 – Member (if initialed in Block 30)
Copy 5 – United States Department of Labor
Copy 6 – State Director of Veteran Affairs
Copy 7 & 8 – Distributed in accordance with Military Service
Department directions (shredded and retain)

In my case, I have *two* DD-214's and one DD-256.

The first DD-214 was for my original enlistment of four years which
was shortened to 2 and a half years when I was accepted into a program
to change my rating from Radioman to Electronics Technician. I was
discharged (on a ship at sea) and then immediately sworn back in. The
second DD-214 was issued in 1977 when I completed the second active duty
contract plus a two month extension "for the convenience" of the
government. :-)

Then, unsure of what the future held, I signed up for 2 years in the
Naval Reserves and was issued the DD-256 when the contract was complete.

Bottom line is ... unless Bill and Greg are a lot older than they admit
to or joined the Air Force and Coast Guard when they were barely out of
diapers, somewhere they have a DD-214. :-)

I am one of those "cusp" reservists. I had more than a year of active
duty so I got my DD214 and I get some VA benefits but I still have not
explored how much it is. I am pretty sure I don't get the whole nut. I
also have a DD-256.
I am not sure the 6 month reservists get a DD-214, they may just get
the 256 when they complete their contract. I am just guessing from the
language in that VA card application. I ended up going to another
place when the one you linked did not work. (after a 1 hour 15 minute
phone call to the VA, an hour on hold).

On Sat, 24 Mar 2018 04:36:34 -0000 (UTC), Bill
wrote:

Tim wrote:
I absently left Wayne and Bill out of the headers list of DD214
recipients. My apologies gentlemen...

I did not get a DD214. I was Air Force and they use a different number.
Was looking for the DD214 when I went to social Security Administration
office.

In that page I was it appears there are several different DD forms
they might want. The DD214 is the release from active duty. There are
also a couple of forms that designate the discharge itself. They
indicated they might want to see them too.

On Fri, 23 Mar 2018 17:26:06 -0700 (PDT), Tim
wrote:

I absently left Wayne and Bill out of the headers list of DD214 recipients. My apologies gentlemen...

===

Apology accepted but not really necessary.

---
http://www.avg.com