Default Scituate

On 3/2/2018 12:50 PM, John H. wrote:
On Fri, 2 Mar 2018 12:07:24 -0500, "Mr. Luddite" wrote:

On 3/2/2018 11:50 AM, John H. wrote:
On Fri, 2 Mar 2018 10:30:47 -0500, "Mr. Luddite" wrote:

On 3/2/2018 10:04 AM, justan wrote:

Streets starting to flood by lighthouse.

Yeah, it's going to be rough there. probably worse than the last storm.

Winds are starting to pick heavy around here and are expected to get
stronger as the storm intensifies over the next 24 hours. That and the
full moon tides do not bode well for the coastal areas from Plymouth
going north.

My daughter and her husband were scheduled to fly to South Carolina
Saturday (tomorrow) morning to visit my son and his wife. The airlines
called her last evening and asked if they would like to reschedule to
Sunday instead. Looks like Logan anticipates shutting down.

Meanwhile, waiting to hear word on my brother. He drove down to
Sarasota, FL two weeks ago to check out potential house rentals for next
winter. My sister decided to go along with him. He started feeling ill
while there and decided to cut the trip short and drive back to MA.
Made it as far as North Carolina and was admitted to a hospital with
pneumonia. Been in the hospital for 5 days now. They don't want to
release him until he recovers more.

That's scary as hell. Just being in a hospital is scary. Hope all goes well. How old is he?
Pneumonia at our (mine, anyway) age is a scary propostition.

He's five years younger than I (63). It's ironic because he was always
been the "athlete", big into working out at the gym and exercising. He
played basketball well into his 50's in adult leagues and such but in
the past three years or so he's had a number of semi-serious medical
problems. Has had a stent installed, needs another and had some kind of
procedure for irregular heartbeat about a year ago. This is his third
bout of pneumonia in the past three years as well.

Meanwhile, although I played sports as a youth I am not a health or
exercise nut like him. I tend to gain weight easily, so I have to watch
that but otherwise I am very healthy for an old fart. The docs at the
VA did extensive cardio vascular screenings, EKG's, etc. to establish a
baseline record when I started going to them a little over a year ago.
Blood pressure was borderline high but that's now within normal limits
after I dropped some weight (again). I don't have any other issues, no
blocked arteries or anything you would expect to start finding as you
get older.

Anyway, I talked to my brother a little while ago. He's slowly
recovering and will be released once his O2 readings get a bit higher.

---
http://www.avg.com

I had pneumonia twice back when I was teaching. I was a heavy smoker (2-3 packs/day) then. Haven't
had it since I quit smoking.

He still smokes on and off. Told me via text that he didn't mind the
hospital in North Carolina because they weren't busting his ass about
smoking. Said they probably sell 'em in the hall ways. :-)

I quit about three years ago but every once in a while I fall off the
wagon and light one up. Then it takes another month to get over the
craving.

Mrs.E. is doing good. She also quit and hasn't looked back. Not an
easy habit/addiction to kick.

On Fri, 2 Mar 2018 14:27:24 -0500, "Mr. Luddite"
wrote:

I quit about three years ago but every once in a while I fall off the
wagon and light one up. Then it takes another month to get over the
craving.

Mrs.E. is doing good. She also quit and hasn't looked back. Not an
easy habit/addiction to kick.

===

I regard it as one of the toughest things I've ever done. It's more
than just nicotine addiction even though that's a big part of it.
Smoking becomes a whole series of habits and behavior patterns that
are just as hard to break as the addiction. Even years after I quit
I'd sometimes find myself reaching into my shirt pocket if in a
stressful situation, or in a social situation where a lot of other
people were smoking. Eventually you get past that and the smell of
smoke becomes offensive but it takes a while. It's easier now that
most restaurants and bars have banned smoking.

---
http://www.avg.com

[...]

Once I got past the first few weeks, I've never really wanted another cigarette. Now the smell is
sickening, and I can understand why I got the dirty looks when smoking.

Other things are different!

John H. wrote:

wrote:

[...]

Best wishes for your brother's speedy recovery.

Meanwhile, batten down the hatches and be safe. These storms remind
me of how much I do not miss northeastern winters.

---
http://www.avg.com

And we though we had it bad. High winds, rain and 1500Â’ snow level. My
worry, is I have two large Black Alder trees (30Â’ tall) that did not
survive the drought. Finally got permission yesterday from the city to
cut them down. They are heritage trees. Over 41” circumference 4’ from
the ground. Worry with the winds, they might fall down. Not good on
house or cars.

That's my worry about the big oak out front. Four feet from the ground
it's 118" in circumference.

Problem with oaks is can be hollow and weak. We have a lot of oaks in the
area, just not my yard. Other than the two large,alders my trees are not
that big. Couple liquid ambers, plum, lemon, peach and apple trees.

John H. wrote:
[...]

As my mom, the RN, said. The old people’s friend. Referring to a lot of
her old, decrepit patients.

Tim Tim is offline

On Friday, March 2, 2018 at 3:00:20 PM UTC-6, John H wrote:
[...]

you know, that's one thing that when i quit some time ago I never was offended by others smoking in my presence and still am not. Don't know what it is, but Smoking in my presence just doesn't bother me. YMMV

Sad event in Scituate Eisboch General 107 September 8th 07 02:14 AM
Slow boat to Scituate Eisboch General 5 June 5th 07 09:20 PM
FS: 2004, 37 foot Egg Harbor SportsYacht in Scituate, MA Richard Eriksson Marketplace 1 May 10th 04 10:43 PM