Default Tick Tock

Mr. Luddite wrote:
On 2/24/2018 1:52 PM, Keyser Soze wrote:
On 2/24/18 1:34 PM, Mr. Luddite wrote:
On 2/24/2018 1:02 PM, wrote:
On Sat, 24 Feb 2018 09:36:12 -0500, "Mr. Luddite"
wrote:

I'll betcha it's not so much a case of being anti-gun as it is legal
beagles recognizing that litigation could extend not only to the
shooter, the store that sold him the firearm (already happens) and to
the financing agency that made the purchase possible.Â* I'll bet more
credit card issuers will start prohibiting the use of their cards for
firearm purchases in the future.

There is legislation in place that shields sellers and manufacturers.
The left really wants to change that but not with much success so far.
This credit card thing is just kubuki theater. Like you say, once the
water calms down I bet it goes away, particularly if a number of big
chains decide to tell them to **** off.
Like someone said before, where does this stop? Are they going to stop
processing charges for dangerous food next? Far more people die from
obesity related disease than from guns, by a couple orders of
magnitude

I'll bet in 2 weeks we won't be discussing AR-15s here either. The
subject will die as usual in the media as well once all the funerals
are over.

Unless there's another mass shooting.

Unless?Â* Unless?

Yeah. I guess I should have said, "Until".

Each week in Chicago and Bulletmore. Just people of color do not seem to
count.

On 2/24/2018 4:22 PM, wrote:
On Sat, 24 Feb 2018 14:58:59 -0500, "Mr. Luddite"
wrote:

On 2/24/2018 2:50 PM, Keyser Soze wrote:
wrote:

[...]

Why don't we just ban everything the ATF people regulate and be
Â* done with it. Of the three, I don't know which is
Â* deadliest.

Greg seems to think that all of our society problems are mutually
inclusive, meaning you can only fix 'em if you fix *all* of them at
once.Â* It's ok to take one or two at a time.

My take on Greg is that he has no interest in anything other than the
anti-rule, anti-regulation, anti-societal libertarian nonsense. That
means no regulatory efforts to fix anything. Don't like dirty air? Wear
a gas mask. Dirty water? Filter it. Too many high-powered guns in the
wrong hands? Wear body armor.

I like Greg and have respect for his accomplishments, knowledge and
technical expertise. But I don't think I've ever come across anyone
who can come up with as many reasons why you *can't* do something as he
can. It makes me chuckle sometimes.

It's a little surprising because usually those with a technical or
engineering bent are just the opposite. Tell an engineer he can't do
something and he'll spend a lifetime trying to prove you wrong.

I lived my life on the other end of that product cycle and I see what
engineers can't do.
If they weren't wrong so often I would not have had a job.
I didn't lose my job because they got any better. It was just because
we simply throw away their mistakes and buy a new one instead of
trying to fix it.

Well that certainly explains it in a nutshell. Fire the engineering
department. Don't need it.

On 2/24/2018 4:18 PM, wrote:

wrote:

I'll betcha it's not so much a case of being anti-gun as it is legal
beagles recognizing that litigation could extend not only to the
shooter, the store that sold him the firearm (already happens) and to
the financing agency that made the purchase possible. I'll bet more
[...]

once. It's ok to take one or two at a time.

Certainly true but why start with the one that causes a few hundred
deaths and ignore the ones that cause tens of thousands or even
millions?
Oh I forgot, they aren't news and the fix would be inconvenient for a
lot of people.

I give you this. You're amazing. :-)

(not trying to bust your chops but I am very, very thankful that not all
share your logic.)

wrote:

[...]

I really don't have much compassion for gang members shooting each other
unless innocents are hurt or killed.

I have a *lot* of compassion and concern for nut cases entering
schools and killing 15 to 20 innocent kids ranging from 6 to 17 years old.

A parent's most important responsibility is the safety and well-being of
the kids they bring into this world. I can't begin to imagine the
anguish the parents of the recently deceased kids must feel.

On Sat, 24 Feb 2018 12:56:59 -0500, wrote:

On Sat, 24 Feb 2018 09:01:12 -0500, John H.
wrote:

On Sat, 24 Feb 2018 01:36:45 -0500,
wrote:

On Fri, 23 Feb 2018 17:03:00 -0500, "Mr. Luddite"
wrote:

One of my points is that the sales data sent doesn't have to identify the merchandise, and even if it does it can be obscured. When Rural King starts losing sales because credit card X won't approve transactions, you can bet they'll fix that in a flash. You'll be buying $479 worth of Purina.

This action is being considered by the banks that issue the credit
cards. There's no reason for them to "fix" it if they decide not to
honor firearms sales.

The merchants and customers are going to be the ones who fix it.
Credit card companies court them, not the other way around. If Rural
King says I will only honor cards that accept gun sales, they won't
have any problem finding bankers who will go along. I am sure there
are banks who would love to get NRAs business.
I am just not sure how this would really work. If Chase says they will
not honor a gun purchase but BoA will, how does the merchant know?

The computer won't let the charge go through from that vendor.

What will Visa/ MC say about it? Who gets stuck when the charge is
denied and the customer has already left the store?

The charge is denied when the card is run through the machine.

Like others have said, the merchant will just stop sending merchandise
details with the charge, assuming they do now.

It's not the details of the charge, it's the vendor itself.

I know when we had the store, everything was just "merchandise". Visa
and MC only got what we entered into the machine and that was what
came from the card swipe or manual entry and the amount. That is also
all I ever see on my CC receipt, along with the system generated
transaction number.
If I am making a claim against the credit card company, I need to
attach the actual sales receipt with that transaction number on it.

You need to go read the article posted by Luddite.

So you are saying Visa will stop taking charges from Walmart, not
bloody likely.
If they do, expect Visa/MC to get some new competition.

Makes no difference, WalMart stopped selling 'assault' rifles a while back.

https://www.nytimes.com/2015/08/27/b...us-stores.html

wrote:

[...]

I don't believe Greg is arguing 'you can't do it'. I believe he's arguing 'you can do it, but it
will make little or no difference'.

For the most part, I agree. I don't think banning the sale of 'assault' rifles will stop school
shootings. I doubt it will slow them down. I don't think raising the minimum age for purchase will
stop school shootings, at least for the next two or three generations. There are too many 'assault'
rifles on the streets (eight million by some estimates).

And, I agree that further infringement of the 'right to bear arms' will lead to even more attempts
for more infringement. (The slippery slope concept.) To say the final goal of many liberals is *not*
a banning of firearms is to be naive.

On Sat, 24 Feb 2018 13:26:16 -0800 (PST), True North
wrote:

On Saturday, 24 February 2018 17:19:51 UTC-4, wrote:

wrote:

[...]

I am sure I am doing more about water quality than anyone else here

We should compare quarterly water bills. I end up paying four times the basic water volume rate because of all the added on taxes/charges/fees etc for wastewater processing environmental charges etc.

I don't have a water bill. I get mine from a hole in the yard. That is
one reason why I am interested in water quality. The other is because
I want to protect where I boat.

wrote:

[...]

How are you improving water quality more than Greg is?

wrote:

[...]

You don't want to fire them but they do need a little more real world
experience. That was one of the jobs I had, service planning, in
Endicott. Basically we were feeding back how things that worked
perfectly in the lab were not doing as well in the customer's office.

More on point is a lot of times in the Maps they had useless
procedures than never fixed anything but wasted a lot of time and
resources. We tried to cut through that clutter.
Your "ban military guns" falls into that category. It is a lot of
effort for very little return. There are perhaps 50-100 million that
would fall into that broad category that are here and not going
anywhere.

tick tock Keyser Söze General 1 October 9th 17 02:23 AM
Tick Tock.... hk General 7 September 2nd 08 06:14 PM
Start Motor and Only Hear Tick-Tick-Tick... [email protected] General 9 October 8th 06 10:37 PM
Tick Tock JAXAshby ASA 1 March 8th 04 11:51 PM