Default Tick Tock

One of the reactions to the mass shootings last week comes from the
banking and financial institutions. Reports are circulating that many
are considering ending the ability to purchase firearms with credit
cards issued by them.

Looks like that movement has started. The National Bank of Omaha has
announced that they will not renew their contract to issue NRA sponsored
Visa cards.

On Friday, February 23, 2018 at 9:32:13 AM UTC-5, Mr. Luddite wrote:
One of the reactions to the mass shootings last week comes from the
banking and financial institutions. Reports are circulating that many
are considering ending the ability to purchase firearms with credit
cards issued by them.

Looks like that movement has started. The National Bank of Omaha has
announced that they will not renew their contract to issue NRA sponsored
Visa cards.

Interesting, but I'm not sure how they could do that. It would seem to be easy enough to code firearms in such a way that the card companies wouldn't know exactly what was being purchased. And it's hard to believe it would hold up in court.

What's next? Not allowing you to buy a big gulp and a chili dog at the 7-11 with your card because they don't think it's good for you?

On 2/23/2018 10:09 AM, Its Me wrote:
On Friday, February 23, 2018 at 9:32:13 AM UTC-5, Mr. Luddite wrote:
One of the reactions to the mass shootings last week comes from the
banking and financial institutions. Reports are circulating that many
are considering ending the ability to purchase firearms with credit
cards issued by them.

Looks like that movement has started. The National Bank of Omaha has
announced that they will not renew their contract to issue NRA sponsored
Visa cards.

Interesting, but I'm not sure how they could do that. It would seem to be easy enough to code firearms in such a way that the card companies wouldn't know exactly what was being purchased. And it's hard to believe it would hold up in court.

What's next? Not allowing you to buy a big gulp and a chili dog at the 7-11 with your card because they don't think it's good for you?

I don't know what the legalities are.

On Fri, 23 Feb 2018 07:09:41 -0800 (PST), Its Me
wrote:

On Friday, February 23, 2018 at 9:32:13 AM UTC-5, Mr. Luddite wrote:
One of the reactions to the mass shootings last week comes from the
banking and financial institutions. Reports are circulating that many
are considering ending the ability to purchase firearms with credit
cards issued by them.

Looks like that movement has started. The National Bank of Omaha has
announced that they will not renew their contract to issue NRA sponsored
Visa cards.

Interesting, but I'm not sure how they could do that. It would seem to be easy enough to code firearms in such a way that the card companies wouldn't know exactly what was being purchased. And it's hard to believe it would hold up in court.

What's next? Not allowing you to buy a big gulp and a chili dog at the 7-11 with your card because they don't think it's good for you?

I agree. my receipts just say "merchandize", no matter what I buy.

wrote:

[...]

That's not how it works. The store ID for the transaction is sent
electronically along with the sales data. Some have the merchandise
identified as well.

If a bank will not honor a sale from that store, the transaction will be
denied.

This article happens to be from the liberal NYTimes but similar articles
are available from other sources:

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/02/19/business/banks-gun-sales.html

wrote:

[...]

One of my points is that the sales data sent doesn't have to identify the merchandise, and even if it does it can be obscured. When Rural King starts losing sales because credit card X won't approve transactions, you can bet they'll fix that in a flash. You'll be buying $479 worth of Purina.

wrote:

[...]

This action is being considered by the banks that issue the credit
cards. There's no reason for them to "fix" it if they decide not to
honor firearms sales.

tick tock Keyser Söze General 1 October 9th 17 02:23 AM
Tick Tock.... hk General 7 September 2nd 08 06:14 PM
Start Motor and Only Hear Tick-Tick-Tick... [email protected] General 9 October 8th 06 10:37 PM
Tick Tock JAXAshby ASA 1 March 9th 04 12:51 AM