BoatBanter.com

-   -   Kids Say the Darndest Things (https://www.boatbanter.com/general/178133-kids-say-darndest-things.html)

John H.[_5_] February 22nd 18 06:08 PM

Kids Say the Darndest Things

On Thu, 22 Feb 2018 12:13:06 -0500, wrote:

On Thu, 22 Feb 2018 07:25:20 -0500, "Mr. Luddite"
wrote:

Here's a weird one. In Massachusetts, one of the most liberal states, a
15 year old can legally purchase and own a long gun with his/her
parent's permission.

If the parents are OK with it, can't a kid have any gun they want at
any age?

Not legally. "Subject to limited exceptions*, federal law prohibits the possession of a handgun or
handgun ammunition by any person under the age of 18.10 Federal law provides no minimum age for the
possession of long guns or long gun ammunition." Also, "Licensed dealers may not sell or deliver a
handgun or ammunition for a handgun to any person the dealer has reasonable cause to believe is
under age 21." Unlicensed persons may not sell, deliver or otherwise transfer a handgun or handgun
ammunition to any person the transferor knows or has reasonable cause to believe is under age 18,
with certain exceptions*.

http://lawcenter.giffords.org/gun-la...n/minimum-age/

Who is going to stop them?

Any law officer who sees the kid in possession of the handgun or other illegal firearm.

I had my first shotgun at 14-15 when I started to hunt but I had a .22
for years before that. I suppose technically it was my dad's, handed
down from my grandfather but I had free access to it and they sold
ammo at the 7-11.

In Virginia you can still buy a .22 from an unlicensed seller at any age, legally.

Keyser Soze February 22nd 18 06:09 PM

Kids Say the Darndest Things

On 2/22/18 12:43 PM, wrote:
On Thu, 22 Feb 2018 09:11:18 -0500, Keyser Soze
wrote:

On 2/21/18 11:57 PM,
wrote:
On Wed, 21 Feb 2018 20:52:48 -0500, "Mr. Luddite"
wrote:

John, I agree with you that the problem isn't really guns. All of them
can kill. The problem is more a mindset and fascination with military
type assault weapons. They are, by a wide margin, the weapon of choice
by these sick people.

It is just the most popular rifle sold in the US today, by a wide
margin. We still have more people killed with bare hands, feet fists
etc than all rifles combined so it is not really the major killer.

My hunter friends have told me it that in .223/5.56, it is a "lousy
choice" for a hunting rifle, especially in wooded/brush country.

I tend to agree, particularly if you are talking about deer. In fact
most states won't let you use any .22 on a deer (actually thinking
about .22rf but it is how the law is written)
OTOH guys who shoot ground hogs seem to be OK with the .223.

You'd think they'd want something bigger to take on those deadly,
dangerous ground hawgs.

Keyser Soze February 22nd 18 06:12 PM

Kids Say the Darndest Things

On 2/22/18 9:50 AM, Tim wrote:
Keyser Soze
wrote:

My hunter friends have told me it that in .223/5.56, it is a "lousy
choice" for a hunting rifle, especially in wooded/brush country.

Well, the Vietnamese nickname for the m-16. It was called “Black Death” for some odd reason. Then again maybe it wasn’t used in the jungles, no?

Are you aware of the reported number of rounds fired in those M-16's
compared to the number of hits? I don't recall the exact number of
rounds, but it was very, very high.

Bill[_12_] February 22nd 18 06:26 PM

wrote:

Here's a weird one. In Massachusetts, one of the most liberal states, a
15 year old can legally purchase and own a long gun with his/her
parent's permission.

If the parents are OK with it, can't a kid have any gun they want at
any age? Who is going to stop them?
I had my first shotgun at 14-15 when I started to hunt but I had a .22
for years before that. I suppose technically it was my dad's, handed
down from my grandfather but I had free access to it and they sold
ammo at the 7-11.

I did not own / buy a firearm until I was married. Why buy, when dad had
any I wanted to use. As a kid, we would go to the government range in the
hills around the range master was a friend of my dad, and just use dad’s
guns. I was under 16, so my brother drove.

Bill[_12_] February 22nd 18 06:26 PM

Keyser Soze wrote:
On 2/22/18 12:43 PM, wrote:
On Thu, 22 Feb 2018 09:11:18 -0500, Keyser Soze
wrote:

wrote:

[...]

Or smaller. .17HMR.

Tim February 22nd 18 06:32 PM

Kids Say the Darndest Things

Keyser Soze
You'd think they'd want something bigger to take on those deadly,
dangerous ground hawgs.

A .22 LR works fine on them at 100 yards

Tim February 22nd 18 06:36 PM

Kids Say the Darndest Things

11:45
On Thu, 22 Feb 2018 06:50:29 -0800 (PST), Tim
Most Vietnamese were not as big as a deer ;-)
We also fired something like 10,000 rounds for every one we killed.

That was due to full auto spray shooting. That invoked the 3 end. burst. Better aiming and conserve lead. Btw I’ve dropped many dear ( head shot) with .223.

[email protected] February 22nd 18 06:36 PM

Kids Say the Darndest Things

On Thu, 22 Feb 2018 11:16:26 -0500, Keyser Soze
wrote:

Trump isn't capable of managing anything.

That makes us ask how he got so rich.

[email protected] February 22nd 18 06:38 PM

Kids Say the Darndest Things

On Thu, 22 Feb 2018 13:08:12 -0500, John H.
wrote:

Who is going to stop them?

Any law officer who sees the kid in possession of the handgun or other illegal firearm.

How has that been working so far?

[email protected] February 22nd 18 06:40 PM

Kids Say the Darndest Things

On Thu, 22 Feb 2018 13:09:40 -0500, Keyser Soze
wrote:

On 2/22/18 12:43 PM, wrote:
On Thu, 22 Feb 2018 09:11:18 -0500, Keyser Soze
wrote:

wrote:

[...]

They just want something flat shooting and a .223 is pretty good. It
is a whole lot cheaper to shoot than a 6.5 Creedmore.