Default 43 and a half hours without power...

On 1/6/2018 1:11 PM, True North wrote:
On Saturday, 6 January 2018 11:42:35 UTC-4, justan wrote:
True North Wrote in message:
Now I'm ready to move on one of those Honda 2000 generators. Contacted both local dealerships and all 1000 and 2000 model generators were sold before I got there. D'oh.

Shipments on way from Montreal. These models are costly here...a hair over 1K for the smaller unit and just over 1.3K for the 2000 plus HST and a PDI and freight charge of $75.00. Outrageous...first that crap started with cars and then new boats. Now on generators??

By the way it was just below 45 degrees F inside our house this morning.
No country for girliemen Jack Goff.

Bundle up real good. Have you put a deposit on a genset yet?
Better yet prepay for one and go to the head of the line. How is
your house heated? Please don't say elec. Have you protected your
pipes from freezing? How about your heating system? Watch out for
spoiled food in your freezer and fridge. Hopefully you are
keeping your dog warm.
Good luck, buddy.

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

Oops..meant to say we were back on power when I sent that message. Just work up from a snooze on the reclining chair...all this heat is getting to me.
We actually lost power early in the storm at 1505hrs on Thursday afternoon. Power company arrived quick enough..but only to secure the wire knocked down by a large tree branch a few hundred feet up the street. It took a full 24 hours for the city crew to show up to cut the big hanging tree limb down and then 3 power company trucks show up at 0720hrs this morning. Took them about 4 hours to fix whatever had to be fixed in very cold windy weather. I'm still waiting to see how our tropical fish fare. Spring Spaniel great but we put ont one of his jackets this morning. It was getting real cold inside and out. We do have electric baseboard heating. Thought it was a good clean, relatively cheap conversion from the former oil furnace (converted from coal in 1959) that only send warm air upwards through a floor grate in our entrance hallway. House built during WW2 and guy who owned it was tight with a dollar.
Anyway, all is good now but after losing power to a fallen limb and then Hurricane Juan back in 2003 and then this weeks storm, if may be time to prepare better....especially since winds keep getting stronger. (there's your Global Warming at work).
As far as the generator, I want something that is easilt transported. The ones left at the dealership were big and expensive..and heavy. One 2800w model roughly the same price as the 2000I weighed almost twice as much. Can't rely on the wife to carry her end on something like that anymore.

If you are looking for emergency heat, the smaller Hondas (e-2000i)
isn't for you. If you have electric heat it's probably 240 volts which
the smaller Honda's don't produce. You need something much bigger.

The little Honda works fine on a oil furnace. All it has to do is run
the oil pump (probably an amp or less) and either a squirrel cage fan
(if forced air) or a circulating pump (if hot water baseboard). Mine
ran the oil heating system in the big, 8,000 sq ft house we used to have
with no problem. It was baseboard, hot water heat.

On 1/6/2018 1:14 PM, True North wrote:
On Saturday, 6 January 2018 13:15:52 UTC-4, Mr. Luddite wrote:
On 1/6/2018 10:13 AM, True North wrote:
Now I'm ready to move on one of those Honda 2000 generators. Contacted both local dealerships and all 1000 and 2000 model generators were sold before I got there. D'oh.

Shipments on way from Montreal. These models are costly here...a hair over 1K for the smaller unit and just over 1.3K for the 2000 plus HST and a PDI and freight charge of $75.00. Outrageous...first that crap started with cars and then new boats. Now on generators??

By the way it was just below 45 degrees F inside our house this morning.
No country for girliemen Jack Goff.

I feel for you. BTW ... I've seen the e2000i new on ebay for under
$1,000. Don't know what shipping would be or how fast.

Here where I am in Massachusetts, not far from the coast we are
expecting an all time record low for tonight and tomorrow. Predictions
range from minus 7 to minus 10. Wind chill, if you're crazy enough to
go out will be around minus 20 to minus 30. We are still getting up to
40 mph wind gusts.

By Monday, a warmup starts. Could be close to 50 on Thursday. Going to
make a lot of people very happy.

Please don't send any more of your weather up here. I don't need it. ;-)

You don't want Thursday's 50's? Ok. We'll keep it down here. :-)

True North Wrote in message:
[...]

Forgot ... you could run a 1500 watt space heater off the little Honda,
but that will draw about 12.5 amps from the little Honda. The e-2000i
is rated for 1800 watts continuous and 2000 watts peak. Plus, a 1500
watt space heater isn't going to heat much.

True North Wrote in message:
[...]

I've never used one of these but it might be worth looking into:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/DuraHeat-23-800-BTU-Indoor-Kerosene-Portable-Heater-DH2304/100045793?MERCH=REC-_-PIPHorizontal1_rr-_-204700349-_-100045793-_-N
Tim Tim is offline

Keyser Soze
On 1/6/18 10:13 AM, True North wrote:
Now I'm ready to move on one of those Honda 2000 generators. Contacted both local dealerships and all 1000 and 2000 model generators were sold before I got there. D'oh.

Shipments on way from Montreal. These models are costly here...a hair over 1K for the smaller unit and just over 1.3K for the 2000 plus HST and a PDI and freight charge of $75.00. Outrageous...first that crap started with cars and then new boats. Now on generators??

By the way it was just below 45 degrees F inside our house this morning.
No country for girliemen Jack Goff.

Grim...

Very “grim” indeed. 2000w. won’t get you much 4500 will run a deep freezer and 2 refrigerators and struggle at that.
To do a comfortable job a person needs at least 6-8000

It takes a lot of energy to run a simple house...

Tim Tim is offline

1:09 PMMr. Luddite
On 1/6/2018 1:11 PM, True North wrote:
I've never used one of these but it might be worth looking into:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/DuraHeat-23-800-BTU-Indoor-Kerosene-Portable-Heater-DH2304/100045793?MERCH=REC-_-PIPHorizontal1_rr-_-204700349-_-100045793-_-N

Those kero-sun do good. Just gotta get used to a bit of kerosene smell

On 1/6/2018 2:16 PM, Tim wrote:
[...]

My little 2000w Honda ran two, full sized refrigerators, a couple of
lights and a flat panel TV with no problem. I left it on the "eco" mode
(idle) and the only time it automatically reves up is when one of the
refrig compressors started. It would then drop back to idle. It has
never tripped.

During the last longer term outage a few years ago I'd wire it into the
furnace circuit for a while to heat the house. Then, I'd switch it back
to the refrigerators. Worked out good and burned less than 5 gals of
gas over a 4 day period with the generator running 24 hours.

The idle speed can still produces about 6 amps continuously. After the
initial current draw to start the compressor in a refrig, the draw drops
to under 2 amps typically. That's what is so nice about the inverter
type generators. They don't have to run at full speed to generate 120
volts at 60Hz and the fuel consumption is very low compared to the
contractor type generators that always run at 3600 rpm.

True North Wrote in message:
[...]

That was my general emergency plan. A small space heater and if needed something to keep the sump pump working. I was getting nervous Thursday night before the big temperature change. We received maybe a millimeter of snow and right away the high winds and heavy rain. I was down late that night using my hand bilge pump to take a dozen buckets of water out of the sump pump hole and carrying same over to a set tub to dump. I'd also like to keep the tropical fish warm. Right now the big alga eater is hugging up to the tube type aquarium heater. The last couple of days he's been hiding under his rock as the water temp got down to about 18C despite me heating pots full on our camp stove and carefully adding into the tank. I also gave them the last of our hot water from the 40 gal electric tank.

True North Wrote in message:
[...]

This type of heater was wildly popular around here around 30 years ago but we don't hear about them now. Wife is sensitive to fumes while I hate the smoke that seems to escape from our fireplace every time we open the tempered glass doors to add more logs.
A surprising small amount of heat came from my replica 'Hurricane Lantern' that burns lamp oil. I had this crazy urge to go walking up & down our pitch black street swinging it while calling out 'It's 10 o'clock all's well'.

On Saturday, 6 January 2018 14:35:23 UTC-4, Mr. Luddite wrote:
[...]

Hold on a minute...maybe we can make an exception.
Funny, we're usually spoiled here as the Atlantic Ocean tends to moderate our weather compared to most of Canada but lately we're seeing more extremes....more often.

The better half... KC General 3 February 28th 14 06:39 AM
Half... F.O.A.D. General 16 November 17th 13 06:50 AM
Battery with "Double the Power" or that takes up "Half the Space" Bart ASA 2 December 6th 06 01:26 AM
FS: Shore Power Cordset in NY-Final Hours! Bobsprit Marketplace 0 September 23rd 04 12:34 AM
FS: Shore power cable in NY, final hours! Bobsprit Marketplace 0 March 17th 04 06:04 PM