Default Dramatic Video Of Center Console Sinking

On Sat, 28 Oct 2017 23:18:12 -0400, Wayne.B
wrote:

This could also be titled "How Not to Run an Inlet in Heavy Weather."
Burying the bow into the back of the wave in front is not unusual but
this is a bit extreme and with the wrong boat.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BayTiEmneTm/

===

The original video on Instagram seems to have gone away but it is now
available on the Fox news web site:

http://www.foxnews.com/tech/2017/10/30/drone-captures-capsizing-boat-and-florida-teens-daring-rescue.html

---
http://www.avg.com

justan wrote:
Bill Wrote in message:
wrote:
On Mon, 30 Oct 2017 19:17:25 -0400, Alex wrote:

wrote:

This could also be titled "How Not to Run an Inlet in Heavy Weather."
Burying the bow into the back of the wave in front is not unusual but
this is a bit extreme and with the wrong boat.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BayTiEmneTm/

Some guys I know were going out of the inlet at St James City into
those standing waves in a 24' Carolina skiff. at night. They got
sideways to the sea and flipped it. Everyone got out OK but it was
scary. They were able to swim home, get another boat and go get the
skiff.

There's a video somewhere on YouTube of a 48 foot sportsfish capsizing
in the same manner leaving Jupiter Inlet. The boat's captain fell out
and drowned.

Here's a video of some guys on a 34' center console approaching
Jupiter inlet. It shows how it gets rougher as you get closer to the
inlet due to the shallow water. (and this wasn't a really *bad* day.
The guy sitting in front of the console gets soaked at about 2:18 into
the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8notH7LZnM

That takes some expert throttle control.

===

Best strategy in my experience is to run slower than the waves with
the bow trimmed well up. Once you crest a wave and drive down into
the next one in front, you never know what's going to happen. I've
been on 50 ft sailboats where we've taken solid green water all the
way back to the mast after surfing into the wave in front.

---
http://www.avg.com

I thought they were going way to fast for conditions.

Lumpy without the frosting on top. Usually seas like thatare
acompanied with much more white capping. My opinion is that
going slower would have caused the boat to toss around much more.
I'm shure the captain adjusted his speed for the most comfortable
safe ride. It's a case of you had to be there to know how to
handle it.

Comfort is down the list. Safety is the primary item. And the video
shows they were not safe. Wind gives white caps, but currents give nasty
waves. Look at the whitewater river passages. We get really nasty
waters near the Golden Gate Bridge. Called the Potato Patch. (Supposedly
a ship lost a load of potatoes there in the 1800’s). You get a 9 knot
outgoing current from the Bay hitting a cross current, or the outgo hitting
the change of tides.

wrote:

This could also be titled "How Not to Run an Inlet in Heavy Weather."
Burying the bow into the back of the wave in front is not unusual but
this is a bit extreme and with the wrong boat.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BayTiEmneTm/

===

The original video on Instagram seems to have gone away but it is now
available on the Fox news web site:

http://www.foxnews.com/tech/2017/10/30/drone-captures-capsizing-boat-and-florida-teens-daring-rescue.html

---
http://www.avg.com

It looks like he had already taken on water. For a boat that size he
was running very low.

In article ,
says...

wrote:

This could also be titled "How Not to Run an Inlet in Heavy Weather."
Burying the bow into the back of the wave in front is not unusual but
this is a bit extreme and with the wrong boat.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BayTiEmneTm/

===

The original video on Instagram seems to have gone away but it is now
available on the Fox news web site:

http://www.foxnews.com/tech/2017/10/30/drone-captures-capsizing-boat-and-florida-teens-daring-rescue.html

---
http://www.avg.com

It looks like he had already taken on water. For a boat that size he
was running very low.

Agree. Looked like he already had a flooded bow.
It had no buoyancy and just dived in.

SW Tom's Next Center Console HK General 10 December 31st 07 01:34 PM
24ft. Center Console tgodiver General 0 July 20th 04 09:27 PM
FS: Center Console Top in NY Bobsprit Marketplace 0 March 14th 04 04:34 AM
FS: 23' Center Console in S.C. Chuck Dreier Marketplace 0 March 3rd 04 01:09 AM
Center Console Tailgunner Boat Building 8 November 21st 03 12:31 PM