BoatBanter.com

-   -   Nice Long Range Trawler For Sale on the Chesapeake (https://www.boatbanter.com/general/176393-nice-long-range-trawler-sale-chesapeake.html)

Mr. Luddite[_4_] October 16th 17 01:13 PM

Nice Long Range Trawler For Sale on the Chesapeake

On 10/16/2017 7:54 AM, John H wrote:
On Mon, 16 Oct 2017 07:15:06 -0400, Keyser Soze wrote:

On 10/15/17 10:08 PM, Wayne.B wrote:
On Sun, 15 Oct 2017 13:57:25 -0400, "Mr. Luddite"
wrote:

On 10/15/2017 11:17 AM, Keyser Soze wrote:
On 10/14/17 9:27 PM, wrote:
On Sat, 14 Oct 2017 19:04:02 -0400, John H
wrote:

On Sat, 14 Oct 2017 16:55:27 -0400, "Mr. Luddite"
wrote:

On 10/14/2017 3:51 PM,
wrote:
I don't personally know this boat but it sure looks nice.Â* It's
possible that they will take a well maintained imaginary boat in trade
but only if it has Corintian Leather cushions.

https://youtu.be/WsvN2KH8TyA

http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/2003/Seahorse-Pilothouse-LRC-3132056/Glen-Burnie/MD/United-States#.WeJp-Dtrx6m

---
http://www.avg.com

Very nice.Â* Has a real "wheel house".Â* Engine spaces seems a little
busy
based on the pictures but they can be deceiving.Â* Asking price doesn't
seem bad, especially considering all the upgrades and work done on the
engines.Â* Only 1700 hours.Â* Hmmmmm....

Unless all those pictures were taken when brand new, he has kept it
in pristine shape. Wow.

I am guessing it was a tax write off for some corporate owner and they
had a full time guy doing nothing but shining it up and keeping things
working. That was what my buddy did for years.
The owner took clients out for a ride and a sales pitch.

I'd bet that barge draws 5' or close to it of water.

More like 3-4 feet. What does your twin Volvo powered trawler draw?

===

According to the Yacht World listing it draws exactly 5 ft and has a
full keel to protect the props - fairly typical for serious trawlers.
It comes in handy when cruising the boondocks and the nearest prop
shop might be 500 miles away.

As one example of the issues 5' of draw raises, there are places on the
ICW where the maintained channel is very, very narrow and if you wander
out of it just a bit, you are going to run aground, even on a shallow
draft boat. There were a few times when I was running one way on the ICW
in NE Florida in an outboard boat and I encountered a pushed barge
coming the other way, and in places where the maintained channel was
barely wide enough for the barge and certainly not enough for two boats
traveling in opposite directions meeting each other, so I would pull out
of the channel and in a few cases started churning up mud. A yacht with
a 5' draft would have run aground, perhaps hard aground. No thanks.

When the boat is seaworthy enough, and the captain is qualified, the ICW isn't necessary. Just ask
Wayne.

Your little Parker and your imaginary trawler, on the other hand, should stick to the ICW.

There are many areas of the ICW that is best avoided on a larger boat.
On the trip I made I wanted to see much of the ICW, just for the
experience and for sight seeing but ended up doing about 40 percent of
the miles on it and 60 percent running "outside", meaning off shore.
You make much better time offshore because the ICW has very limited
sections where you can run at cruise speed and even then you are
constantly slowing down to pass slow moving sailboats.

[email protected] October 16th 17 01:22 PM

Nice Long Range Trawler For Sale on the Chesapeake

wrote:

On Sat, 14 Oct 2017 16:55:27 -0400, "Mr. Luddite"
wrote:

On 10/14/2017 3:51 PM,
wrote:
I don't personally know this boat but it sure looks nice.* It's
possible that they will take a well maintained imaginary boat in trade
but only if it has Corintian Leather cushions.

https://youtu.be/WsvN2KH8TyA

http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/2003/Seahorse-Pilothouse-LRC-3132056/Glen-Burnie/MD/United-States#.WeJp-Dtrx6m

---
http://www.avg.com

Very nice.* Has a real "wheel house".* Engine spaces seems a little
busy
based on the pictures but they can be deceiving.* Asking price doesn't
seem bad, especially considering all the upgrades and work done on the
engines.* Only 1700 hours.* Hmmmmm....

[...]

Having run the Florida ICW many times in both directions with 5 1/2
feet of draft, I can state with a great deal of certainty that Harree,
as usual, is full of ****. The only exception is in the Florida Keys
where there are good alternatives. Not to say that the ICW doesn't
have issues, but they are mostly in Georgia, South Carolina, North
Carolina and New Jersey. In those area we prefer to run outside when
possible but have run every inch inside at one time or another with
the exception of New Jersey where we always run outside.

We have never been pushed out of the channel by tugs and barges but
there are a few places that require the utmost in concentration and
nerves of steel. Perhaps Harree's nerves are made of something else.

Mr. Luddite[_4_] October 16th 17 01:36 PM

wrote:

On Sat, 14 Oct 2017 16:55:27 -0400, "Mr. Luddite"
wrote:

On 10/14/2017 3:51 PM,
wrote:
[...]

The areas I ran aground were in both of the Carolina's. At the
recommendation of others I bypassed Georgia completely, running outside.

My experience was more typical of a "newbie". I had never run the ICW
before and the whole experience was a learning curve.

Keyser Soze October 16th 17 01:41 PM

wrote:

On Sat, 14 Oct 2017 16:55:27 -0400, "Mr. Luddite"
wrote:

On 10/14/2017 3:51 PM,
wrote:
[...]

More like 3-4 feet.Â* What does your twin Volvo powered trawler draw?

===

[...]

It's part of the experience.Â* The Navigator drew about 3 and a half to 4
feet, depending on fuel load.Â* I went aground three times in different
places on the ICW in the southern states.Â* I had the depth finder alarm
set at 6 feet and it was constantly going off.Â* Fortunately all were
"soft" groundings and I was going very slowly, watching the depth gauge,
constantly looking for deeper water.Â* I was able to back off them,
although one required the assistance of the thrusters.

I also learned that precisely following the channel markers was no
guaranty of safe passage.Â* There are some areas on the ICW that have
short inlets from the ocean and a recent storm offshore caused sandbars
to build up smack in the middle of the ICW channel.Â* Dredging barges
clear them but are of no help when you call them on the radio asking for
a recommendation of what side to pass them on.Â* They won't advise you
and I later learned it's because they cannot assume any responsibility
for directing your passage.

I found that monitoring the radio helped a lot because those ahead of me
would report shallow spots and you could anticipate them. I had a friend
who was making the trip at the same time I was and at one point we were
within radio range of each other. (He was ahead of me and makes the
snowbird trip every year).Â* He knew it was my first time making the
voyage and he helped a lot giving me warnings of shallow water.Â* I
remember one of them was reported by several people so I slowed down to
a crawl and waited until I spotted a large sailboat, figuring that with
his keel, he drewÂ* more than I did and I just followed his course
through the shallow area.

Anyone on a larger boat who claims they never ran aground in the ICW
probably has never traveled the ICW.

I loved fishing along the edges of the ICW and up the ICW creeks and on
the sides of the ocean inlets. Spectacular fishing for flounder, reds,
seatrout, and near St. Augustine, sometimes tarpon. Catfish were fun to
catch. All on really light tackle. :)

Keyser Soze October 16th 17 01:44 PM

wrote:

On Sat, 14 Oct 2017 16:55:27 -0400, "Mr. Luddite"
wrote:

On 10/14/2017 3:51 PM,
wrote:
[...]

Whine is just...wonderful. The man for all seasons but no reasons.

John H[_2_] October 16th 17 03:16 PM

wrote:

On Sat, 14 Oct 2017 16:55:27 -0400, "Mr. Luddite"
wrote:

On 10/14/2017 3:51 PM,
wrote:
[...]

Never saw him brag about his ammo stockpile, cardboard boxes, level kitchen cabinets or non-existent
Vietnam jobs, boats, and motorcycles.

Have you?

[email protected] October 16th 17 03:32 PM

wrote:

Whine is just...wonderful. The man for all seasons but no reasons.

===

How cute. I'm honored that you wasted some of your self proclaimed
writing talent replying to my post. Keep at it - you may be good when
you grow up.

---
http://www.avg.com

[email protected] October 16th 17 04:56 PM

wrote:

On Sat, 14 Oct 2017 16:55:27 -0400, "Mr. Luddite"
wrote:

On 10/14/2017 3:51 PM,
wrote:
[...]

Wayne has actual documented experience running up and down the east
coast. We are not even sure you have had a boat since the Yo Ho went
away.

I will say Irma has moved a lot of sand around and I certainly would
not trust ICW markers. Around me, the ICW is in an aquatic preserve
and it is not dredged as often as big boat operators would like. You
really can't even count on 3' at low tide.
My river has really become a "local knowledge" thing and it has to be
"recent, local knowledge" ;-)
Things that worked a month and a half ago are no longer true.

Alex[_12_] October 17th 17 12:55 AM

John H wrote:
On Sun, 15 Oct 2017 17:41:13 -0400, "Mr. Luddite" wrote:

wrote:

On Sat, 14 Oct 2017 16:55:27 -0400, "Mr. Luddite"
wrote:

On 10/14/2017 3:51 PM,
wrote:
[...]

Less than 4'