Default Lazy day

Mr. Luddite wrote:
On 9/21/2017 7:28 PM, wrote:
On Thu, 21 Sep 2017 15:35:26 -0400,

wrote:

On Thu, 21 Sep 2017 15:09:52 -0400,
wrote:

I started losing faith in these plots with Irma. They had it 100%
going up the east coast 3 days out and in 48 hours it was right over
us. Our local guy was better than NOAA on the last day, predicting the
eye wall hitting within minutes of being right.

===

The problem with forecasting the Irma track was getting the timing
right for the turn northward. Even a small error created a
substantial lateral shift because of the geometry.

That is always the issue. If these things just went on a straight
line, it would be easy to predict where they go ;-)

Jose has been about the screwiest one I have seen for a while and
Maria may be running through the same confused air.
The water up north is cool enough so this will not be a major storm,
even if they take a hit but it doesn't take a major storm to affect a
lot of people. Sandy was just a strong tropical storm at landfall. A
day of "inch an hour" rain would flood places full of people who never
thought they could flood. That was what Agnes did to us in Clinton and
that was only about 6-8" of rain in a day. It just could not drain
away fast enough in upland communities.

Just woke up and we are still be hit with strong wind gusts and rain
squalls from Jose. Haven't checked the weather map yet be it obviously
hasn't moved much in three days.

As for hurricane tracking in general, it's still a guessing game but
there's also no question that the weather people have become much better
at forecasting a general track, given all the influences. I was
watching the Weather Channel the other day and they were talking about
the two prime computer models they use ... GFS and Euro. The Euro has
had a much better record of being accurate. One of them (forget which)
underwent a major update a year or so ago and it was noticed that the
update made the software more inaccurate than the original. They went
back to using the original.

Squaw Valley (wonder when they will have change their name) shut down
skiing 2 months ago. Snowed a few inches yesterday.

On Fri, 22 Sep 2017 16:17:34 -0000 (UTC), Bill
wrote:

wrote:

[...]

I hear Mammoth got snow today too.

wrote:

wrote:

[...]

My older daughter and family ski Mammoth. Season passes. Was snowing
couple days ago.

On Fri, 22 Sep 2017 21:33:11 -0000 (UTC), Bill

wrote:

wrote:

[...]

We really liked Mammoth in the summer. We went up to Squaw Valley but
it was a mistake. We should have just spent a few more days at
Mammoth.
We did get up to Donnor Pass on a logging road one day tho. That was
exciting in a "lost and the GPS in the phone was no help" sort of way.
We ran into a guy on a 4 wheeler who got us on the right road.

wrote:

wrote:

[...]

Off 89 on the west shore of Tahoe, you can go back up one of the roads to
where the Rubicon Jeep run comes out. Over the sierras on no trail. As a
youth, my dad and his buddy had a good claim on the Rubicon River out of
Michigan Bluff. We like June Lake loop a little better than the Mammoth
Lakes region, but I do fly fish the Owens River out of Bishop. All is
beautiful, and in the fall when the aspens are changing color, is dynamic.

wrote:

wrote:

[...]

Gold not good claim.

On Sat, 23 Sep 2017 15:30:25 -0000 (UTC), Bill

wrote:

wrote:

[...]

I am not sure exactly where we were. We just started driving around on
some logging roads north of Squaw.

I am so lazy Frogwatch[_2_] General 0 August 26th 09 07:57 PM
Lazy Jacks Roger Long Cruising 1 June 23rd 05 03:49 AM
we behave the lazy car Moronic Retarded Punk ASA 0 April 22nd 05 09:54 AM
Lazy jacks Gordon Cruising 12 April 11th 05 11:38 PM
Oh those lazy French! Bertie the Bunyip ASA 0 August 29th 03 01:23 AM