Gordon

Default Lazy jacks

Lazy jacks, Yes or No?

Ask not for whom the terrorist bell tolls; it tolls for thee, and thee, and
thee--for decent, innocent people everywhere.

Rich Hampel

Lazy jacks .... maybe
Eazy-Jacks .... Yup, 'cause you can fold them up along the boom and
mast and not have the turbulance generated by permanently installed
lazy jacks.
Both will aid in reefing and with no need to 'tie-in' the reef - just
the luff and leech cringles.

In article , Gordon
wrote:

Lazy jacks, Yes or No?

Ask not for whom the terrorist bell tolls; it tolls for thee, and thee, and
thee--for decent, innocent people everywhere.

Sebastian Miles

I agree, I grew up on a boat with no such thing. Then I sailed a friends
boat and I realised how good it was.
He had Lazys which at the top went through pullie so he could losten it and
tie it down up front. It will remove the turbulence and will work wonders
when reefing and in emergencies when you need to let the sail down fast.

Sebas

wrote:

Lazy jacks, Yes or No?

Ask not for whom the terrorist bell tolls; it tolls for thee, and thee,

and
thee--for decent, innocent people everywhere.

Akka

We have a Dutchman system on our full-battened Stevens 50, and can't
imagine what it would be like not to have it. When we drop the main,
the sail simply folds back and forth (maybe with a little help from the
crew, if we really need it to look especially good). If we need to
drop the sail in a hurry, we just let the halyard go and poof, the main
is down, nothing on the deck or in the water. We've done this on a
reach in a blow, with the boom hanging out over the side, no problems!

When we're sailing, there's no aerodynamic effect, as the lines are
monofilament. So the system is always ready and can be used in an
emergency with no preparation.

We'e heard people say that the monofilament chafes the sail, but after
over 20,000 miles offshore, we haven't seen any evidence of this!

One caveat: With a Dutchman system, you have to have a strong solid
vang or tighten the toppinglift before you take in a reef, so that the
boom won't be hanging on the monofilament lines. Also, of course, you
have to put grommets in the sail for the monofilament lines to pass
through.

I get annoyed with my lazy jacks because the mainsail battens catch on
'em Every time I hoist the main.
While I appreciate the value of lazy jacks, the "damnit!" factor is
definitely gaining. I think they are going to get taken off this
spring...

Gary
http://home.ca.inter.net/~gkmd/sail/CarpeDiem.htm

Gordon Wedman

"Gordon" wrote in message
Lazy jacks, Yes or No?

Ask not for whom the terrorist bell tolls; it tolls for thee, and thee,
and
thee--for decent, innocent people everywhere.

I have the Harken lazy jacks on my C&C 37. There is enough extra line to
allow me to pull everything to the mast where I hook it behind the reefing
hook. I have full battens in the main and I only have to be careful with
the first part of the hoist. Once the first short batten gets past the
lines all the others pass without attention. Lazy jacks are certainly handy
things to have on a larger boat, especially if you single-hand.

Don White

I get annoyed with my lazy jacks because the mainsail battens catch on
'em Every time I hoist the main.
While I appreciate the value of lazy jacks, the "damnit!" factor is
definitely gaining. I think they are going to get taken off this
spring...

Gary
http://home.ca.inter.net/~gkmd/sail/CarpeDiem.htm

As long as we headed 'directly' into the wind', we had no problem. When
we were a few degrees one way or the other. one of the battens always
ended up outside the lazyjacks, causing us to ease off the main halyard
a bit, round up and try again.