BoatBanter.com

-   -   Yo Bill...to take the heat off (https://www.boatbanter.com/general/176039-yo-bill-take-heat-off.html)

John H[_2_] September 17th 17 01:50 PM

Yo Bill...to take the heat off

This should detract Harry and Donnee from their 'falling from a roof' lies about you.

Friday I leaned a ladder against the trailer, with not nearly enough lean. Got up to the top,
started to sweep debris off the roof of the bedroom slide, and the ladder slipped. Down I went,
landing squarely on my right heel on the concrete driveway. Crawled up the driveway and into the
house to call 911. ER doc says heel bone (calcaneus) is 'shattered' and will require surgery.

And all I'd had to drink was coffee!

True North[_2_] September 17th 17 03:11 PM

Yo Bill...to take the heat off

On Sunday, 17 September 2017 09:50:07 UTC-3, John H wrote:
This should detract Harry and Donnee from their 'falling from a roof' lies about you.

Friday I leaned a ladder against the trailer, with not nearly enough lean. Got up to the top,
started to sweep debris off the roof of the bedroom slide, and the ladder slipped. Down I went,
landing squarely on my right heel on the concrete driveway. Crawled up the driveway and into the
house to call 911. ER doc says heel bone (calcaneus) is 'shattered' and will require surgery.

And all I'd had to drink was coffee!

Say what?
Anyone with a lick of sense knows that you place the ladder feet 1 foot out for every 4 feet high.

I had my smaller 20' extension ladder up against a tree yesterday with the feet on soft dirt. Needed to replace a snapped clothes line.
No problem.

John H[_2_] September 17th 17 03:30 PM

Yo Bill...to take the heat off

On Sun, 17 Sep 2017 07:11:25 -0700 (PDT), True North wrote:

On Sunday, 17 September 2017 09:50:07 UTC-3, John H wrote:
This should detract Harry and Donnee from their 'falling from a roof' lies about you.

Friday I leaned a ladder against the trailer, with not nearly enough lean. Got up to the top,
started to sweep debris off the roof of the bedroom slide, and the ladder slipped. Down I went,
landing squarely on my right heel on the concrete driveway. Crawled up the driveway and into the
house to call 911. ER doc says heel bone (calcaneus) is 'shattered' and will require surgery.

And all I'd had to drink was coffee!

Say what?
Anyone with a lick of sense knows that you place the ladder feet 1 foot out for every 4 feet high.

I had my smaller 20' extension ladder up against a tree yesterday with the feet on soft dirt. Needed to replace a snapped clothes line.
No problem.

Obviously you and Krause are the brightest lightbulbs on the tree, eh Donnee?

Mr. Luddite[_4_] September 17th 17 04:25 PM

Yo Bill...to take the heat off

On 9/17/2017 8:50 AM, John H wrote:
This should detract Harry and Donnee from their 'falling from a roof' lies about you.

Friday I leaned a ladder against the trailer, with not nearly enough lean. Got up to the top,
started to sweep debris off the roof of the bedroom slide, and the ladder slipped. Down I went,
landing squarely on my right heel on the concrete driveway. Crawled up the driveway and into the
house to call 911. ER doc says heel bone (calcaneus) is 'shattered' and will require surgery.

And all I'd had to drink was coffee!

Ouch! Hope the surgery and healing goes well and quickly. Just think.

Harry might take you up on your walking the golf course challenge now.

justan September 17th 17 05:04 PM

Yo Bill...to take the heat off

"Mr. Luddite" Wrote in message:
On 9/17/2017 8:50 AM, John H wrote:
This should detract Harry and Donnee from their 'falling from a roof' lies about you.

Friday I leaned a ladder against the trailer, with not nearly enough lean. Got up to the top,
started to sweep debris off the roof of the bedroom slide, and the ladder slipped. Down I went,
landing squarely on my right heel on the concrete driveway. Crawled up the driveway and into the
house to call 911. ER doc says heel bone (calcaneus) is 'shattered' and will require surgery.

And all I'd had to drink was coffee!8

Ouch! Hope the surgery and healing goes well and quickly. Just think.

You obviously haven't seen a snapshot of Harry.

Harry might take you up on your walking the golf course challenge now.

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

Bill[_12_] September 17th 17 05:24 PM

Yo Bill...to take the heat off

True North wrote:
[...]

The ladder should be tied off. Not depending on lean. Especially on dirt,
where the ladder can sink in at a differential rate between the two legs.

Bill[_12_] September 17th 17 05:24 PM

Yo Bill...to take the heat off

John H wrote:
This should detract Harry and Donnee from their 'falling from a roof' lies about you.

Friday I leaned a ladder against the trailer, with not nearly enough
lean. Got up to the top,
started to sweep debris off the roof of the bedroom slide, and the ladder
slipped. Down I went,
landing squarely on my right heel on the concrete driveway. Crawled up
the driveway and into the
house to call 911. ER doc says heel bone (calcaneus) is 'shattered' and
will require surgery.

And all I'd had to drink was coffee!

Sorry to hear that. Heels are almost impossible to repair completely. Why
I am buying a new Hobie I11s to replace my Hobie Outback. Not climbing on
the 9' roof of the new Cirrus 820. Still figuring that n to install a
storage cover.

John H[_2_] September 17th 17 05:54 PM

Yo Bill...to take the heat off

On Sun, 17 Sep 2017 11:25:27 -0400, "Mr. Luddite" wrote:

On 9/17/2017 8:50 AM, John H wrote:
This should detract Harry and Donnee from their 'falling from a roof' lies about you.

Friday I leaned a ladder against the trailer, with not nearly enough lean. Got up to the top,
started to sweep debris off the roof of the bedroom slide, and the ladder slipped. Down I went,
landing squarely on my right heel on the concrete driveway. Crawled up the driveway and into the
house to call 911. ER doc says heel bone (calcaneus) is 'shattered' and will require surgery.

And all I'd had to drink was coffee!

Ouch! Hope the surgery and healing goes well and quickly. Just think.

Harry might take you up on your walking the golf course challenge now.

That got a laugh! I'll keep my fingers crossed.

John H[_2_] September 17th 17 05:55 PM

Yo Bill...to take the heat off

On Sun, 17 Sep 2017 12:04:03 -0400 (EDT), justan wrote:

"Mr. Luddite" Wrote in message:
On 9/17/2017 8:50 AM, John H wrote:
This should detract Harry and Donnee from their 'falling from a roof' lies about you.

Friday I leaned a ladder against the trailer, with not nearly enough lean. Got up to the top,
started to sweep debris off the roof of the bedroom slide, and the ladder slipped. Down I went,
landing squarely on my right heel on the concrete driveway. Crawled up the driveway and into the
house to call 911. ER doc says heel bone (calcaneus) is 'shattered' and will require surgery.

And all I'd had to drink was coffee!

8

Ouch! Hope the surgery and healing goes well and quickly. Just think.

You obviously haven't seen a snapshot of Harry.

Harry might take you up on your walking the golf course challenge now.

I'm thinking that even on crutches I'd probably outdistance him.

John H[_2_] September 17th 17 05:56 PM

Yo Bill...to take the heat off

On Sun, 17 Sep 2017 16:24:29 -0000 (UTC), Bill wrote:

True North wrote:
[...]

The ladder was on the driveway, which is why the lean angle wasn't enough. I wanted to keep it out
of the dirt. Dumb.

Keyser Soze September 17th 17 07:56 PM

Yo Bill...to take the heat off

On 9/17/17 11:25 AM, Mr. Luddite wrote:
On 9/17/2017 8:50 AM, John H wrote:
This should detract Harry and Donnee from their 'falling from a roof'
lies about you.

Friday I leaned a ladder against the trailer, with not nearly enough
lean. Got up to the top,
started to sweep debris off the roof of the bedroom slide, and the
ladder slipped. Down I went,
landing squarely on my right heel on the concrete driveway. Crawled up
the driveway and into the
house to call 911. ER doc says heel bone (calcaneus) is 'shattered'
and will require surgery.

And all I'd had to drink was coffee!

Ouch!Â* Hope the surgery and healing goes well and quickly. Just think.

Harry might take you up on your walking the golf course challenge now.

The only event involving Herring which I would gladly attend is his
funeral, and then only to see how many folks from minority groups pee on
his grave.

I know someone who "shattered" his heel bone. All cases are different,
of course, but it took him quite a while to recover. Next time he should
fall on his head, as Calif Bill did...

John H[_2_] September 17th 17 07:57 PM

Yo Bill...to take the heat off

On Sun, 17 Sep 2017 14:56:02 -0400, Keyser Soze wrote:

[...]

I suppose it would be hard to take me out on your 'imaginary' boat.

Mr. Luddite[_4_] September 17th 17 08:50 PM

Yo Bill...to take the heat off

On 9/17/2017 12:24 PM, Bill wrote:
True North wrote:
[...]

70 something year-olds don't belong on ladders. Period. :-)

I am not quite 70 yet but I get dizzy on the second rung.

justan September 17th 17 10:15 PM

Yo Bill...to take the heat off

True North wrote:
[...]

I got my ladder out and set it up to survey the roof a couple of
days ago. Chickened out and put the ladder away. I did the survey
with the drone instead. Much safer.

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

Mr. Luddite[_4_] September 17th 17 10:20 PM

Yo Bill...to take the heat off

True North wrote:
[...]

Learned your lesson, huh? :-)

justan September 17th 17 10:21 PM

Yo Bill...to take the heat off

Keyser Soze Wrote in message:
[...]

You are quite the asshole Mr. Blubber.

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

justan September 17th 17 10:26 PM

Yo Bill...to take the heat off

True North wrote:
[...]

Yup!

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

Bill[_12_] September 17th 17 10:39 PM

Yo Bill...to take the heat off

Did not fall on my head. You must have as your head seems to be ****ed up.

John H[_2_] September 18th 17 12:40 PM

Yo Bill...to take the heat off

True North wrote:
[...]

I just knew someone was going to say that!

I've been thinking of ways to clean off the tops of the slides. The only way to do it without a
separate ladder is to use the trailer ladder, mounted on the trailer, to climb on the roof and walk
around with the broom. But, the trailer ladder is mounted right over the picture window in the back
of the rig. Messes up the view of the river, doncha know. I had cotton socks wrapped over the ends
of the ladder to protect the finish on the rig. Might have to rethink that. I've got an old
motorcycle tire inner tube that may do a good job of protecting and not be as slippery.

And, of course, quit trying to cheat on the lean angle of the ladder!

Mr. Luddite[_4_] September 18th 17 01:03 PM

Yo Bill...to take the heat off

True North wrote:
[...]

Or hire a 18 year old flexible flyer to clean it for you. :-)

[email protected] September 18th 17 01:20 PM

Yo Bill...to take the heat off

On Mon, 18 Sep 2017 07:40:31 -0400, John H
wrote:

And, of course, quit trying to cheat on the lean angle of the ladder!

===

That's the big one right there. Also, use a sturdy plank under the
ladder if the ground shows any sign of softness. Check again part way
up with your full weight on the ladder. Last but not least, tie the
ladder off if at all possible.

---
http://www.avg.com

John H[_2_] September 18th 17 02:43 PM

Yo Bill...to take the heat off

True North wrote:
[...]

You've got a fiberglass roof, right? Mine is EPMD. I like the drone idea, but it would take a long
time to check all the seams on the EPMD roof. Being up on the roof isn't bad. It's not slippery.

Bill[_12_] September 18th 17 04:28 PM

Yo Bill...to take the heat off

wrote:

And, of course, quit trying to cheat on the lean angle of the ladder!

===

That's the big one right there. Also, use a sturdy plank under the
ladder if the ground shows any sign of softness. Check again part way
up with your full weight on the ladder. Last but not least, tie the
ladder off if at all possible.

---
http://www.avg.com

When I rode the ladder down last year, I was only up about 5'.

justan September 18th 17 04:29 PM

Yo Bill...to take the heat off

True North wrote:
[...]

I was talking about the house roof John. Getting on the RV roof is
pretty easy but I'm careful about it.
What seams are you talking about?

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

[email protected] September 18th 17 05:00 PM

Yo Bill...to take the heat off

True North wrote:
[...]

I have been doing Flying Wallenda tricks on a ladder the last few
days, rolling in new screen panels. Where are the screen monkeys when
you need one? ;-)

John H[_2_] September 18th 17 05:54 PM

Yo Bill...to take the heat off

True North wrote:
[...]

The EPMD roof is full of seams which are covered with a self-levelling caulk. Sides, front, rear,
any openings (AC, vents, antenna, etc.) - anywhere the rubber roof meets a different material. The
caulk can dry and shrink and then leak. Or, the rubber can be holed by tree branch. I crawl over the
whole thing at least twice a year. To get on the house roof I don't need a ladder. Can climb out a
bedroom window and then have access to entire roof with a step stool.

John H[_2_] September 18th 17 05:54 PM

Yo Bill...to take the heat off

True North wrote:
[...]

Don't fall on concrete and land on one heel!

John H[_2_] September 18th 17 05:55 PM

Yo Bill...to take the heat off

wrote:

And, of course, quit trying to cheat on the lean angle of the ladder!

===

That's the big one right there. Also, use a sturdy plank under the
ladder if the ground shows any sign of softness. Check again part way
up with your full weight on the ladder. Last but not least, tie the
ladder off if at all possible.

---
http://www.avg.com

When I rode the ladder down last year, I was only up about 5'.

The distance from my heel to the concrete was probably not much more.

justan September 18th 17 06:29 PM

Yo Bill...to take the heat off

True North wrote:
[...]

Oh. I was thinking your roof might not have been made with a
single sheet of material. Mine has lap sealant anywhere there is
a roof penetration, same as yours. I overlay sealant once or
twice a year anywhere I see it cracking.

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

Mr. Luddite[_4_] September 18th 17 07:29 PM

Yo Bill...to take the heat off

John H Wrote in message:

To get on the house roof I don't need a ladder. Can climb out a
bedroom window and then have access to entire roof with a step stool.

I don't do house roofs either. If I get four feet from the edge, severe
vertigo sets in. :-)

Keyser Soze September 18th 17 07:53 PM

Yo Bill...to take the heat off

On 9/18/17 2:29 PM, Mr. Luddite wrote:

John H Wrote in message:

*To get on the house roof I don't need a ladder. Can climb out a
bedroom window and then have access to entire roof with a step stool.

I don't do house roofs either.* If I get four feet from the edge, severe
vertigo sets in.** :-)

I remember the time I spent in Thunder Bay, Ontario, one week. Really,
really, really cold. And I saw crews shoveling snow off the roofs of
houses. Was told the home insurance companies paid for those crews
because it was a lot cheaper than replacing roofs that collapsed from
the 4' or more of snow load on them.

There was four to five feet of snow on the ground, too, so I guess if
the guys on the roofs fell off, they're be more likely to suffocate in a
snow bank than get seriously injured in a fall. :)

Amazingly, one night I was there when it snowed at least a foot, and the
next morning, early, the union rep from the local arrived on time to
pick me up. The streets had already been cleared. The snowbanks along
the curbs were huge.

justan September 18th 17 08:07 PM

Yo Bill...to take the heat off

John H Wrote in message:

[...]

I drove a rental to Thunder Bay once. Did what I had to do, and
got out. Kanada in the winter is for the birds.

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

John H[_2_] September 18th 17 08:10 PM

Yo Bill...to take the heat off

True North wrote:
[...]

Lap sealant. That's it. Couldn't think of the name.

[email protected] September 18th 17 08:14 PM

Yo Bill...to take the heat off

On Mon, 18 Sep 2017 12:54:45 -0400, John H
wrote:

On Mon, 18 Sep 2017 12:00:39 -0400, wrote:

I have been doing Flying Wallenda tricks on a ladder the last few
days, rolling in new screen panels. Where are the screen monkeys when
you need one? ;-)

Don't fall on concrete and land on one heel!

I did that in the pool once and it took a year to get over it

John H[_2_] September 18th 17 08:14 PM

Yo Bill...to take the heat off

On Mon, 18 Sep 2017 14:29:22 -0400, "Mr. Luddite" wrote:

John H Wrote in message:

To get on the house roof I don't need a ladder. Can climb out a
bedroom window and then have access to entire roof with a step stool.

I don't do house roofs either. If I get four feet from the edge, severe
vertigo sets in. :-)

I'll bet it's not vertigo. Most likely it's illyngophobia. I'll let you look it up. I realized I
sufferred from same when I took a motorcycle ride in the French Alps when I was about 63. It also
kicks in in places like the Grand Canyon, Canyonlands, anywhere there is a drop...including the high
part of my roof. I'm OK if I get on my butt and inch my way to the edge.

John H[_2_] September 18th 17 08:16 PM

Yo Bill...to take the heat off

[...]

Those union guys are simply the best!

Keyser Soze September 18th 17 08:16 PM

Yo Bill...to take the heat off

John H Wrote in message:

[...]

I would have preferred to be there in the summer for fishing. Still,
there were guys out there ice fishing. Too cold for me. I was there
representing an international union in the amalgamation of several
locals, and there were four days of meetings. Got a nice feature story
on another aspect of the trip, though. That was a lot less boring. :)

True North[_2_] September 18th 17 08:20 PM

Yo Bill...to take the heat off

[...]

As I've said many times, Justine...it's no country for girliemen!

John H[_2_] September 18th 17 08:29 PM

Yo Bill...to take the heat off

wrote:

I have been doing Flying Wallenda tricks on a ladder the last few
days, rolling in new screen panels. Where are the screen monkeys when
you need one? ;-)

Don't fall on concrete and land on one heel!

I did that in the pool once and it took a year to get over it

Did you bust the heel bone (calcaneus)? The ER doc said surgery with screws and plates. I'm hoping
she was exaggerating. But, the more I read about it, the less I like it!