Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Walt

Default Racing Rules of Sailing 2005-2008

Now available online at
http://makeashorterlink.com/?L1F1215B8

There don't appear to be any major changes at first glance. Here's what
I see (limited to part 2 of the RRS):

o A more explicit (legalistic ?) verbiage about what rules apply
between boats not racing and boats that are. IRPCAS is explicitly
cited.

o Rule 13 (tacking) has been tweaked to say what happens when two
boats tack at the same time - a clear astern boat now has to keep
clear.

o Rule 16.2 has been modified (again!) so that it only applies when
a port boat is ducking a starboard boat.

o Rule 18 now applies in some circumstances when both boats tack
around a mark. (the current rule states that if the proper course
for either boat is to tack, rule 18 is out. The new rule says one
but not both.) I think this needs to be read carefully, because
at first read it appears to say more than it does. My initial
take is that this change only makes a practical difference in a
situation where two boats are on opposite tacks and the proper
course for both of them is to tack. This would seem to be an odd
occurrence (i.e. boats in different races that share a common mark).
I welcome more discussion on this - I'm not sure I've read it
correctly...

o The first sentence of Rule 18.2 c has been reworded so that it's
stated in the past tense, rather than the present tense. I don't
know that this makes any practical difference at all. Likewise,
the change that says rule 18.2 c no longer applies *and remains
inapplicable* if the clear ahead boat passes head to wind.

o Rule 19.1 (room to tack at an obstruction) has been rewritten,
but the change seems to be motivated by making the text clearer.
I don't see that the practical application of the rule is any
different. (but I may be missing something subtle)

o Rule 22.2 (interfering with another boat) has been modified to
include boats on another lap or leg of the course. This is truly
new - you can't change course if your only purpose is to interfere
with a boat on another leg of the course.

Comments?

--
//-Walt
//