Tim Tim is offline

Default Looks like Erma isn't happy

Maybe a cat 3 coming in

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/weat...170424362.html

On Thu, 31 Aug 2017 09:32:16 -0700 (PDT), Tim
wrote:

Maybe a cat 3 coming in

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/weat...170424362.html

Rookie mistake, this is the "I" storm so it is Irma.

That was predicted to be the name of the no name storm that flooded us
the first part of the week when it got into the Atlantic but the one
spinning up off Africa got it first.
There is a TD off the coast of Mexico right now that may end up
smacking the east coast of Texas again and we are still watching to
see what Irma does. This is shaping up to be a pretty exciting season.
I may even get to use my generator. I guess I should drag it out and
be sure it does not need to be flashed. I have had it for 5 years, the
guy I got it from had it 3 and it still has the label over the gas cap
warning you to read the book before you start it. I also have a 3"
trash pump in the shed, new in the box. I always say be prepared. ;-)

wrote:

Maybe a cat 3 coming in

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/weat...170424362.html

Rookie mistake, this is the "I" storm so it is Irma.

That was predicted to be the name of the no name storm that flooded us
the first part of the week when it got into the Atlantic but the one
spinning up off Africa got it first.
There is a TD off the coast of Mexico right now that may end up
smacking the east coast of Texas again and we are still watching to
see what Irma does. This is shaping up to be a pretty exciting season.
I may even get to use my generator. I guess I should drag it out and
be sure it does not need to be flashed. I have had it for 5 years, the
guy I got it from had it 3 and it still has the label over the gas cap
warning you to read the book before you start it. I also have a 3"
trash pump in the shed, new in the box. I always say be prepared. ;-)

===

Gasoline generators that have not been run regularly should be
regarded as highly suspect in my experience. They also burn a
surprising amount of gas. We were without power for over a week after
hurricane Charlie in 2004. My neighbor and I were making nightly runs
down in your direction to fill up jerry jugs and keep my little Honda
running. All of the gas stations around here were without power and
unable to pump. If it happens again I'll use the diesel generators on
the boat to keep us powered up.

---
http://www.avg.com

wrote:

Maybe a cat 3 coming in

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/weat...170424362.html

Rookie mistake, this is the "I" storm so it is Irma.

That was predicted to be the name of the no name storm that flooded us
the first part of the week when it got into the Atlantic but the one
spinning up off Africa got it first.
There is a TD off the coast of Mexico right now that may end up
smacking the east coast of Texas again and we are still watching to
see what Irma does. This is shaping up to be a pretty exciting season.
I may even get to use my generator. I guess I should drag it out and
be sure it does not need to be flashed. I have had it for 5 years, the
guy I got it from had it 3 and it still has the label over the gas cap
warning you to read the book before you start it. I also have a 3"
trash pump in the shed, new in the box. I always say be prepared. ;-)

Please keep those storms down there, or at least track them eastward out over the open Atlantic. I still have vivid memories of Hurricane Juan in Sept 2003.

wrote:

Maybe a cat 3 coming in

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/weat...170424362.html

Rookie mistake, this is the "I" storm so it is Irma.

That was predicted to be the name of the no name storm that flooded us
the first part of the week when it got into the Atlantic but the one
spinning up off Africa got it first.
There is a TD off the coast of Mexico right now that may end up
smacking the east coast of Texas again and we are still watching to
see what Irma does. This is shaping up to be a pretty exciting season.
I may even get to use my generator. I guess I should drag it out and
be sure it does not need to be flashed. I have had it for 5 years, the
guy I got it from had it 3 and it still has the label over the gas cap
warning you to read the book before you start it. I also have a 3"
trash pump in the shed, new in the box. I always say be prepared. ;-)

I start my generator monthly, put a load on it (space heater) and let it run 15-20 minutes.

wrote:

[...]

That's a good plan. It's important to keep the curburetor exercised
and the fuel fresh.

---
http://www.avg.com

wrote:

[...]

I put mine away for years at a time with gas in it. Take it out, pull
the cord several times and it fires right up. :-)

wrote:

[...]

That's what I've always been told and believed but the little Honda I
have defies that plan. It sat for several years unused with gas in it.
I didn't think it would ever start again either so I went out and bought
another generator in advance of a predicted major snow/wind storm two
or three years ago. I had to buy it quickly as it was the last one I
could find because they were selling like hotcakes.

For kicks, I dug out the Honda before I opened the carton with the new
generator. I choked it and it took quite a few pulls but to my surprise
it fired up and ran smooth as silk after opening the choke again. I've
used it since maybe once or twice a year and it fires up on the second
or third pull. Damn thing is amazing.

wrote:

[...]

You're braver than me!