Default Dogs

This is certainly the truth
http://www.seattlepi.com/comics-and-...re/2017-07-28/

I am now registered at 5 different adoption places and no joy yet. I
do know the world is awash in pit bull mixes.
I also think these "dog" people really do not understand what training
a dog is supposed to be. When did the "crate" thing start being how
you are supposed to keep a dog and what happened to having a dog who
just comes when you call them? This seems to be a foreign concept to
the people I am talking to.
I guess they are thinking if the dog came when you called them they
wouldn't be in the pound in the first place. I go the other way and
try to make home where the dog really wants to be. It has always
worked out for me even though Mr Ed's "dog whistle" was a bottle
rocket ;-)

On Sat, 29 Jul 2017 01:59:37 -0400, wrote:

This is certainly the truth
http://www.seattlepi.com/comics-and-...re/2017-07-28/

I am now registered at 5 different adoption places and no joy yet. I
do know the world is awash in pit bull mixes.
I also think these "dog" people really do not understand what training
a dog is supposed to be. When did the "crate" thing start being how
you are supposed to keep a dog and what happened to having a dog who
just comes when you call them? This seems to be a foreign concept to
the people I am talking to.
I guess they are thinking if the dog came when you called them they
wouldn't be in the pound in the first place. I go the other way and
try to make home where the dog really wants to be. It has always
worked out for me even though Mr Ed's "dog whistle" was a bottle
rocket ;-)

I've always frowned on the use of crates. However, we now keep the big one in a crate for her own
protection. With two torn ACLs, the lesser the strain on the rear stifles, the better. If company is
coming, she gets crated. At night she used to sleep on the bed. Can't do that because she'll jump
down and back up again. Jumping down is OK. The front legs get the stress. Jumping up just reinjures
whatever scar tissue may have formed. We want to go to Holland again this fall. The vet will board
her, but she'll be crated almost continuously. She can't be allowed to play with other dogs. Hell,
we can't even allow to run in the house. She's usually closed in the office, leashed to a chair, or
crated.

Life sucks with torn ACLs. Both of us are gaining weight 'cause we're not getting in our three miles
a day!

On 7/29/17 10:54 AM, Justan wrote:
John H Wrote in message:
[...]

Maybe a dog would help Harry with his weight problem.

Ray Bolger had you pegged...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nauLgZISozs

Of course, you'd have the Big Three reasons to visit the Wizard: no
brain, no heart, no courage.

On 7/29/17 11:24 AM, wrote:
On Sat, 29 Jul 2017 08:52:15 -0600 (MDT), Justan
wrote:

Wrote in message:
This is certainly the truth
http://www.seattlepi.com/comics-and-...re/2017-07-28/

I am now registered at 5 different adoption places and no joy yet. I
do know the world is awash in pit bull mixes.
I also think these "dog" people really do not understand what training
a dog is supposed to be. When did the "crate" thing start being how
you are supposed to keep a dog and what happened to having a dog who
just comes when you call them? This seems to be a foreign concept to
the people I am talking to.
I guess they are thinking if the dog came when you called them they
wouldn't be in the pound in the first place. I go the other way and
try to make home where the dog really wants to be. It has always
worked out for me even though Mr Ed's "dog whistle" was a bottle
rocket ;-)

My dog has a crate and he thinks it's one of his safe places. We
leave the door open.

I want my dog to think the whole house is his safe place. Particularly
we have several places that they can really call their own.
I also expect them to respect that space.

Sheesh...there aren't any decent dogs needing a home in your neck of the
woods? We've given a lot of homeless cats "forever homes" and the only
requirement was that they showed up at our door. All of them, without
exception, turned out to be wonderful pets. Only one of our cats
actually had an OK home as a kitten but still needed a new home.

John H Wrote in message:
[...]

I agree wholeheartedly with this post.

John H Wrote in message:
[...]

Harry is so proud of you, Donielle.

wrote:

Wrote in message:
[...]

Our little dog likes to sleep under my desk, if I'm at it. If not she often goes into her crate.

wrote:

Wrote in message:
[...]

You are so, so much better than anyone else here or elsewhere, Harry.

wrote:

Wrote in message:
[...]

Like I said, we are awash with pit bull mixes. I might be OK with it
but anything that even looks a little "bully" scares the **** out of
people, even when it is a bum rap. I was going to go up to the Humane
Society today but we threw a pallet of sod instead. I may get up there
monday.

I am not a cat person

wrote:

Wrote in message:
[...]

Dogs love crates. They are "den" animals, and it gives them a sense of security. I don't understand people who think it's somehow cruel.

I don't really think it is cruel but I do think I would rather have my
dog comfortable in his own chair or any other place he wants to relax.
They always pick several spots they like around here, depending on
where we are.

Dogs vs Wives John H[_2_] General 25 July 11th 11 03:00 AM
Dogs and cats John H[_2_] General 5 May 29th 09 09:20 PM
Dogs on board Molesworth Cruising 25 December 16th 06 07:21 AM
Dogs on board Molesworth General 25 December 15th 06 01:11 AM
Bad hot dogs? Harry Krause General 27 August 27th 04 01:12 PM