BoatBanter.com

-   -   Google is evil (https://www.boatbanter.com/general/174623-google-evil.html)

[email protected] June 10th 17 03:50 PM

Google is evil

If your privacy is important to you, stay away from Google maps too.
My wife had maps going to find a hiking trail. Hours later we stopped
for lunch at a restaurant in town. I paid cash and we did not use the
phone there but an hour later she got a text from Google asking her to
rate the restaurant.

[email protected] June 10th 17 04:43 PM

Google is evil

On Sat, 10 Jun 2017 10:50:41 -0400, wrote:

If your privacy is important to you, stay away from Google maps too.
My wife had maps going to find a hiking trail. Hours later we stopped
for lunch at a restaurant in town. I paid cash and we did not use the
phone there but an hour later she got a text from Google asking her to
rate the restaurant.

===

It gets worse; try this:

https://www.google.com/maps/timeline?pb

You can turn Google Maps History off if you go into settings.

---
http://www.avg.com

[email protected] June 10th 17 05:34 PM

Google is evil

On Sat, 10 Jun 2017 11:30:52 -0400, Keyser Soze
wrote:

On 6/10/17 10:50 AM, wrote:
If your privacy is important to you, stay away from Google maps too.
My wife had maps going to find a hiking trail. Hours later we stopped
for lunch at a restaurant in town. I paid cash and we did not use the
phone there but an hour later she got a text from Google asking her to
rate the restaurant.

Oh, how awful.

It certainly demonstrates haw someone, anyone, can track you simply by
looking at your phone. Bear in mind, all of that is discoverable by
Trump's FBI.

[email protected] June 10th 17 05:44 PM

Google is evil

wrote:

If your privacy is important to you, stay away from Google maps too.
My wife had maps going to find a hiking trail. Hours later we stopped
for lunch at a restaurant in town. I paid cash and we did not use the
phone there but an hour later she got a text from Google asking her to
rate the restaurant.

===

It gets worse; try this:

https://www.google.com/maps/timeline?pb

You can turn Google Maps History off if you go into settings.

I don't usually even have my phone with me. I had it with me on
vacation but I never turned it on. It was on the dresser at the
"cabin". It does not have GPS or web access anyway.

BTW "turning anything off" on Google just means you can't see it.
Google never forgets anything they collect. They make the NSA look
like new comers in the data collection business. At a certain point
the NSA may just be another client. There are no laws about domestic
surveillance conducted by private companies.

Mr. Luddite June 10th 17 09:00 PM

Google is evil

On 6/10/2017 12:34 PM, wrote:
On Sat, 10 Jun 2017 11:30:52 -0400, Keyser Soze
wrote:

On 6/10/17 10:50 AM,
wrote:
If your privacy is important to you, stay away from Google maps too.
My wife had maps going to find a hiking trail. Hours later we stopped
for lunch at a restaurant in town. I paid cash and we did not use the
phone there but an hour later she got a text from Google asking her to
rate the restaurant.

Oh, how awful.

It certainly demonstrates haw someone, anyone, can track you simply by
looking at your phone. Bear in mind, all of that is discoverable by
Trump's FBI.

I am piggy backed on my wife's cell phone service. She has unlimited
data. I don't because I don't use it that much. A couple of months ago
I turned on the "Location" services on my phone. The data usage pegged
for that month and I was getting "running out of data soon" messages
every two weeks. Turned the location service off and the data usage for
this month is 0.01 Gb.

Obviously, using the location service uses a lot of data. I don't need
a message on my phone telling me the supermarket parking lot is a great
place to take a picture.

Keyser Soze June 11th 17 02:15 AM

Google is evil

On 6/10/17 12:34 PM, wrote:
On Sat, 10 Jun 2017 11:30:52 -0400, Keyser Soze
wrote:

On 6/10/17 10:50 AM,
wrote:
If your privacy is important to you, stay away from Google maps too.
My wife had maps going to find a hiking trail. Hours later we stopped
for lunch at a restaurant in town. I paid cash and we did not use the
phone there but an hour later she got a text from Google asking her to
rate the restaurant.

Oh, how awful.

It certainly demonstrates haw someone, anyone, can track you simply by
looking at your phone. Bear in mind, all of that is discoverable by
Trump's FBI.

So what?

Alex[_11_] June 11th 17 02:16 AM

Google is evil

wrote:
If your privacy is important to you, stay away from Google maps too.
My wife had maps going to find a hiking trail. Hours later we stopped
for lunch at a restaurant in town. I paid cash and we did not use the
phone there but an hour later she got a text from Google asking her to
rate the restaurant.

It's not Google maps. It's your Android phone. I get the same
notifications without using the maps function.

[email protected] June 11th 17 04:21 AM

Google is evil

On Sat, 10 Jun 2017 21:15:43 -0400, Keyser Soze
wrote:

On 6/10/17 12:34 PM, wrote:
On Sat, 10 Jun 2017 11:30:52 -0400, Keyser Soze
wrote:

On 6/10/17 10:50 AM,
wrote:
If your privacy is important to you, stay away from Google maps too.
My wife had maps going to find a hiking trail. Hours later we stopped
for lunch at a restaurant in town. I paid cash and we did not use the
phone there but an hour later she got a text from Google asking her to
rate the restaurant.

Oh, how awful.

It certainly demonstrates haw someone, anyone, can track you simply by
looking at your phone. Bear in mind, all of that is discoverable by
Trump's FBI.

So what?

I will keep that in mind the next time you go off on the patriot act
or the NSA snooping on you.
Maybe privacy is just not important to you. I suppose that may be a
city thing.