BoatBanter.com

-   -   Google is evil (https://www.boatbanter.com/general/174623-google-evil.html)

[email protected] June 13th 17 03:49 PM

Google is evil

On Tue, 13 Jun 2017 07:41:07 -0400, Keyser Soze
wrote:

On 6/13/17 1:29 AM, wrote:

I took a few minutes to read the ULAs from Netflix, Vudu, Amazon,
Hulu, HBO Go and a few others. The language is strikingly similar. You
can't "Copy, reproduce or archive" on any of them legally. I suspect
it is straight from the MPAA's lawyers.
Same goes for ripping your DVDs.
I am not saying it can't be done but call yourself a pirate and be
proud.

Crikey, you might want to consider doing something useful. Doesn't
someone in your neighborhood need a tiki bar? Perhaps if you tried less
hard and weren't so snotty about it, I might have given you the info you
so desperately desire. Not a chance now.

You really can't admit you may have mi spoken can you?
I really tried to ask a serious question. Where can I get movies in a
PC readable format without looking for them on a bug infested web
site, bit torrent or newsgroup.
I usually rip DVDs now, Arrg matey!
It is just part of me divesting myself of little bits of plastic.

[email protected] June 13th 17 03:54 PM

Google is evil

wrote:

Crikey, you might want to consider doing something useful. Doesn't
someone in your neighborhood need a tiki bar? Perhaps if you tried less
hard and weren't so snotty about it, I might have given you the info you
so desperately desire. Not a chance now.

===

Ohh, little HairWee has worked himself into a fine state of high
dudgeon.

---
http://www.avg.com

Alex[_11_] June 14th 17 01:02 AM

Google is evil

wrote:
On Mon, 12 Jun 2017 20:02:44 -0400, Alex wrote:

Netflix has a very limited library of downloadable movies. It's great
for travel with a tablet.

You can load a movie on a supported device using their software to
play it but you are not putting it on your server without using some
kind of "pirate" software. It is similar to how the DVR from the
Cable/Satellite company works. The last time I looked, nobody was
bragging about a way to get your stored movies off of the DVR that
would play on anything but the DVR. (even illegally). I would not be
surprised if someone cracks the encryption tho.

I have Tivo and their software lets me store anything I've recorded on
my PC. Nothing Illegal about it:

https://www.lifewire.com/move-tivo-recordings-1130892

Years ago I had a Tivo box with a DVD burner built in. Something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Humax-DRT800-.../dp/B00065ZK7M

Alex[_11_] June 14th 17 01:06 AM

Google is evil

Bill wrote:
Alex wrote:
wrote:
On Sun, 11 Jun 2017 11:07:34 -0400, Keyser Söze

On Sun, 11 Jun 2017 08:49:39 -0400 (EDT), Keyser Soze
wrote:

Wrote in message:
On Sat, 10 Jun 2017 21:15:43 -0400, Keyser Soze
wrote:

On 6/10/17 12:34 PM,
wrote:
On Sat, 10 Jun 2017 11:30:52 -0400, Keyser Soze
wrote:

On 6/10/17 10:50 AM,
wrote:
If your privacy is important to you, stay away from Google maps too.
My wife had maps going to find a hiking trail. Hours later we stopped
for lunch at a restaurant in town. I paid cash and we did not use the
phone there but an hour later she got a text from Google asking her to
rate the restaurant.

Oh, how awful.
It certainly demonstrates haw someone, anyone, can track you simply by
looking at your phone. Bear in mind, all of that is discoverable by
Trump's FBI.

So what?
I will keep that in mind the next time you go off on the patriot act
or the NSA snooping on you.
Maybe privacy is just not important to you. I suppose that may be a
city thing.

Yawn. I don't do anything that would interest the NSA. Apparently
you do.
So you don't need the 4th amendment? Do you think the cops can toss
your car and your house any time they want ... because you don't have
anything to hide? (except the "hundreds" of illegally copied movies)

The cops are not going to toss my car and I don't have any ilegally copied
movies and even if I did, the NSA would not care. What are *you* so nervous
about?
If you are willing to give up your 4th amendment rights, what is to
stop the cops from tossing your house and car?

As for your movies, how did you get a legally licensed movie that you
can store on your server? They all say it is illegal to "reproduce"
them, in any way.
Streams (netflix, amazon etc) can't legally be copied locally and DVDs
are also illegal to copy. Where do you get a movie legally that you
can copy?

Netflix has a very limited library of downloadable movies. It's great
for travel with a tablet.

But they are only good for a few days after first viewing.

I didn't know that since we watched them and deleted them to save space
on the tablet. They lasted at least a week. We downloaded about six
for the trip up and back a week later.

[email protected] June 14th 17 01:50 AM

Google is evil

On Tue, 13 Jun 2017 20:02:30 -0400, Alex wrote:

I have Tivo and their software lets me store anything I've recorded on
my PC. Nothing Illegal about it:

My TiVo is OTA only (covered by the Sony decision) but that FBI
warning on movies does not exempt TiVo. Archivo is a 3d party program
and I doubt TiVos lawyers acknowledge it. This is the kind of thing
that killed ReplayTV. (a better platform than TiVo and I have had
both.

[email protected] June 14th 17 04:12 AM

Google is evil

On Tue, 13 Jun 2017 20:02:30 -0400, Alex wrote:

I have Tivo and their software lets me store anything I've recorded on
my PC. Nothing Illegal about it:

https://www.lifewire.com/move-tivo-recordings-1130892

===

Does it record in HD (High Definition) ? If so that's a great
feature.

---
http://www.avg.com

justan June 14th 17 01:19 PM

Google is evil

Wrote in message:
On Sun, 11 Jun 2017 09:30:28 -0500 (CDT), justan wrote:

Keyser Soze Wrote in message:
Wrote in message:
On Sat, 10 Jun 2017 21:15:43 -0400, Keyser Soze
wrote:

On 6/10/17 12:34 PM,
wrote:
On Sat, 10 Jun 2017 11:30:52 -0400, Keyser Soze
wrote:

--

The IRS is the agency that's watching you.

They are watching your money. Of course, following the money is a
powerful tool to follow the person.
I really think that if the ICE was a department under the IRS, illegal
immigration would not be as big a problem.

Harry can't have anything that might be considered an asset. The
IRS would confiscate it.
--

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

Bill[_12_] June 14th 17 03:56 PM

Google is evil

Alex wrote:
Bill wrote:

wrote:

Wrote in message:
On Sat, 10 Jun 2017 21:15:43 -0400, Keyser Soze
wrote:

On 6/10/17 12:34 PM,
wrote:
On Sat, 10 Jun 2017 11:30:52 -0400, Keyser Soze
wrote:

On 6/10/17 10:50 AM,
wrote:
[...]

I think it said 3 days after first viewing.

Alex[_11_] June 15th 17 01:05 AM

Google is evil

wrote:
On Tue, 13 Jun 2017 20:02:30 -0400, Alex wrote:

I have Tivo and their software lets me store anything I've recorded on
my PC. Nothing Illegal about it:

My TiVo is OTA only (covered by the Sony decision) but that FBI
warning on movies does not exempt TiVo. Archivo is a 3d party program
and I doubt TiVos lawyers acknowledge it. This is the kind of thing
that killed ReplayTV. (a better platform than TiVo and I have had
both.

If I'm using Archivo, it's embedded into the Tivo software.