BoatBanter.com

-   -   Google is evil (https://www.boatbanter.com/general/174623-google-evil.html)

[email protected] June 10th 17 03:50 PM

Google is evil

If your privacy is important to you, stay away from Google maps too.
My wife had maps going to find a hiking trail. Hours later we stopped
for lunch at a restaurant in town. I paid cash and we did not use the
phone there but an hour later she got a text from Google asking her to
rate the restaurant.

[email protected] June 10th 17 04:43 PM

Google is evil

On Sat, 10 Jun 2017 10:50:41 -0400, wrote:

If your privacy is important to you, stay away from Google maps too.
My wife had maps going to find a hiking trail. Hours later we stopped
for lunch at a restaurant in town. I paid cash and we did not use the
phone there but an hour later she got a text from Google asking her to
rate the restaurant.

===

It gets worse; try this:

https://www.google.com/maps/timeline?pb

You can turn Google Maps History off if you go into settings.

---
http://www.avg.com

[email protected] June 10th 17 05:34 PM

Google is evil

On Sat, 10 Jun 2017 11:30:52 -0400, Keyser Soze
wrote:

On 6/10/17 10:50 AM, wrote:
If your privacy is important to you, stay away from Google maps too.
My wife had maps going to find a hiking trail. Hours later we stopped
for lunch at a restaurant in town. I paid cash and we did not use the
phone there but an hour later she got a text from Google asking her to
rate the restaurant.

Oh, how awful.

It certainly demonstrates haw someone, anyone, can track you simply by
looking at your phone. Bear in mind, all of that is discoverable by
Trump's FBI.

[email protected] June 10th 17 05:44 PM

Google is evil

wrote:

If your privacy is important to you, stay away from Google maps too.
My wife had maps going to find a hiking trail. Hours later we stopped
for lunch at a restaurant in town. I paid cash and we did not use the
phone there but an hour later she got a text from Google asking her to
rate the restaurant.

===

It gets worse; try this:

https://www.google.com/maps/timeline?pb

You can turn Google Maps History off if you go into settings.

I don't usually even have my phone with me. I had it with me on
vacation but I never turned it on. It was on the dresser at the
"cabin". It does not have GPS or web access anyway.

BTW "turning anything off" on Google just means you can't see it.
Google never forgets anything they collect. They make the NSA look
like new comers in the data collection business. At a certain point
the NSA may just be another client. There are no laws about domestic
surveillance conducted by private companies.

Mr. Luddite June 10th 17 09:00 PM

Google is evil

On 6/10/2017 12:34 PM, wrote:
On Sat, 10 Jun 2017 11:30:52 -0400, Keyser Soze
wrote:

On 6/10/17 10:50 AM,
wrote:
If your privacy is important to you, stay away from Google maps too.
My wife had maps going to find a hiking trail. Hours later we stopped
for lunch at a restaurant in town. I paid cash and we did not use the
phone there but an hour later she got a text from Google asking her to
rate the restaurant.

Oh, how awful.

It certainly demonstrates haw someone, anyone, can track you simply by
looking at your phone. Bear in mind, all of that is discoverable by
Trump's FBI.

I am piggy backed on my wife's cell phone service. She has unlimited
data. I don't because I don't use it that much. A couple of months ago
I turned on the "Location" services on my phone. The data usage pegged
for that month and I was getting "running out of data soon" messages
every two weeks. Turned the location service off and the data usage for
this month is 0.01 Gb.

Obviously, using the location service uses a lot of data. I don't need
a message on my phone telling me the supermarket parking lot is a great
place to take a picture.

Keyser Soze June 11th 17 02:15 AM

Google is evil

On 6/10/17 12:34 PM, wrote:
On Sat, 10 Jun 2017 11:30:52 -0400, Keyser Soze
wrote:

On 6/10/17 10:50 AM,
wrote:
If your privacy is important to you, stay away from Google maps too.
My wife had maps going to find a hiking trail. Hours later we stopped
for lunch at a restaurant in town. I paid cash and we did not use the
phone there but an hour later she got a text from Google asking her to
rate the restaurant.

Oh, how awful.

It certainly demonstrates haw someone, anyone, can track you simply by
looking at your phone. Bear in mind, all of that is discoverable by
Trump's FBI.

So what?

Alex[_11_] June 11th 17 02:16 AM

Google is evil

wrote:
If your privacy is important to you, stay away from Google maps too.
My wife had maps going to find a hiking trail. Hours later we stopped
for lunch at a restaurant in town. I paid cash and we did not use the
phone there but an hour later she got a text from Google asking her to
rate the restaurant.

It's not Google maps. It's your Android phone. I get the same
notifications without using the maps function.

[email protected] June 11th 17 04:21 AM

Google is evil

On Sat, 10 Jun 2017 21:15:43 -0400, Keyser Soze
wrote:

On 6/10/17 12:34 PM, wrote:
On Sat, 10 Jun 2017 11:30:52 -0400, Keyser Soze
wrote:

On 6/10/17 10:50 AM,
wrote:
If your privacy is important to you, stay away from Google maps too.
My wife had maps going to find a hiking trail. Hours later we stopped
for lunch at a restaurant in town. I paid cash and we did not use the
phone there but an hour later she got a text from Google asking her to
rate the restaurant.

Oh, how awful.

It certainly demonstrates haw someone, anyone, can track you simply by
looking at your phone. Bear in mind, all of that is discoverable by
Trump's FBI.

So what?

I will keep that in mind the next time you go off on the patriot act
or the NSA snooping on you.
Maybe privacy is just not important to you. I suppose that may be a
city thing.

[email protected] June 11th 17 04:22 AM

Google is evil

On Sat, 10 Jun 2017 21:16:34 -0400, Alex wrote:

wrote:
If your privacy is important to you, stay away from Google maps too.
My wife had maps going to find a hiking trail. Hours later we stopped
for lunch at a restaurant in town. I paid cash and we did not use the
phone there but an hour later she got a text from Google asking her to
rate the restaurant.

It's not Google maps. It's your Android phone. I get the same
notifications without using the maps function.

Not my phone. It was till back at the house, powered off.

Keyser Söze June 11th 17 04:07 PM

Google is evil

wrote:
On Sun, 11 Jun 2017 08:49:39 -0400 (EDT), Keyser Soze
wrote:

Wrote in message:
On Sat, 10 Jun 2017 21:15:43 -0400, Keyser Soze
wrote:

On 6/10/17 12:34 PM,
wrote:
On Sat, 10 Jun 2017 11:30:52 -0400, Keyser Soze
wrote:

On 6/10/17 10:50 AM,
wrote:
If your privacy is important to you, stay away from Google maps too.
My wife had maps going to find a hiking trail. Hours later we stopped
for lunch at a restaurant in town. I paid cash and we did not use the
phone there but an hour later she got a text from Google asking her to
rate the restaurant.

Oh, how awful.

It certainly demonstrates haw someone, anyone, can track you simply by
looking at your phone. Bear in mind, all of that is discoverable by
Trump's FBI.

So what?

I will keep that in mind the next time you go off on the patriot act
or the NSA snooping on you.
Maybe privacy is just not important to you. I suppose that may be a
city thing.

Yawn. I don't do anything that would interest the NSA. Apparently
you do.

So you don't need the 4th amendment? Do you think the cops can toss
your car and your house any time they want ... because you don't have
anything to hide? (except the "hundreds" of illegally copied movies)

The cops are not going to toss my car and I don't have any ilegally copied
movies and even if I did, the NSA would not care. What are *you* so nervous
about?

--
Posted with my iPhone 7+.

Keyser Söze June 11th 17 04:07 PM

Google is evil

justan wrote:
Keyser Soze Wrote in message:
Wrote in message:
On Sat, 10 Jun 2017 21:15:43 -0400, Keyser Soze
wrote:

On 6/10/17 12:34 PM,
wrote:
On Sat, 10 Jun 2017 11:30:52 -0400, Keyser Soze
wrote:

On 6/10/17 10:50 AM,
wrote:
[...]

The IRS is the agency that's watching you.

Nope.

--
Posted with my iPhone 7+.

[email protected] June 11th 17 04:25 PM

Google is evil

On Sun, 11 Jun 2017 11:07:34 -0400, Keyser Söze

wrote:

Wrote in message:
On Sat, 10 Jun 2017 21:15:43 -0400, Keyser Soze
wrote:

On 6/10/17 12:34 PM,
wrote:
On Sat, 10 Jun 2017 11:30:52 -0400, Keyser Soze
wrote:

On 6/10/17 10:50 AM,
wrote:
[...]

If you are willing to give up your 4th amendment rights, what is to
stop the cops from tossing your house and car?

As for your movies, how did you get a legally licensed movie that you
can store on your server? They all say it is illegal to "reproduce"
them, in any way.
Streams (netflix, amazon etc) can't legally be copied locally and DVDs
are also illegal to copy. Where do you get a movie legally that you
can copy?

[email protected] June 11th 17 04:26 PM

Google is evil

On Sun, 11 Jun 2017 11:07:35 -0400, Keyser Söze
wrote:

The IRS is the agency that's watching you.

Nope.

You are just in denial

Keyser Söze June 11th 17 04:30 PM

Google is evil

wrote:

Wrote in message:
On Sat, 10 Jun 2017 21:15:43 -0400, Keyser Soze
wrote:

On 6/10/17 12:34 PM,
wrote:
On Sat, 10 Jun 2017 11:30:52 -0400, Keyser Soze
wrote:

On 6/10/17 10:50 AM,
wrote:
[...]

Why, from Trump Movie Distributors, of course,a wholly owned subsidiary of
Trump University.

--
Posted with my iPhone 7+.

[email protected] June 11th 17 05:27 PM

Google is evil

On Sun, 11 Jun 2017 11:30:40 -0400, Keyser Söze

As for your movies, how did you get a legally licensed movie that you
can store on your server? They all say it is illegal to "reproduce"
them, in any way.
Streams (netflix, amazon etc) can't legally be copied locally and DVDs
are also illegal to copy. Where do you get a movie legally that you
can copy?

Why, from Trump Movie Distributors, of course,a wholly owned subsidiary of
Trump University.

So it seems you value your 5th amendment rights more than your 4th
amendment rights. Fine by me, I am not going to coerce you to admit
millions of dollars worth of copyright violations but you have to
agree you are still a pirate in the eyes of the law (and MPAA).

Keyser Söze June 11th 17 05:32 PM

Google is evil

wrote:
On Sun, 11 Jun 2017 11:30:40 -0400, Keyser Söze

As for your movies, how did you get a legally licensed movie that you
can store on your server? They all say it is illegal to "reproduce"
them, in any way.
Streams (netflix, amazon etc) can't legally be copied locally and DVDs
are also illegal to copy. Where do you get a movie legally that you
can copy?

Why, from Trump Movie Distributors, of course,a wholly owned subsidiary of
Trump University.

So it seems you value your 5th amendment rights more than your 4th
amendment rights. Fine by me, I am not going to coerce you to admit
millions of dollars worth of copyright violations but you have to
agree you are still a pirate in the eyes of the law (and MPAA).

Yawn.

--
Posted with my iPhone 7+.

[email protected] June 11th 17 05:40 PM

Google is evil

On Sun, 11 Jun 2017 12:32:53 -0400, Keyser Söze

On Sun, 11 Jun 2017 11:30:40 -0400, Keyser Söze

As for your movies, how did you get a legally licensed movie that you
can store on your server? They all say it is illegal to "reproduce"
them, in any way.
Streams (netflix, amazon etc) can't legally be copied locally and DVDs
are also illegal to copy. Where do you get a movie legally that you
can copy?

Why, from Trump Movie Distributors, of course,a wholly owned subsidiary of
Trump University.

So it seems you value your 5th amendment rights more than your 4th
amendment rights. Fine by me, I am not going to coerce you to admit
millions of dollars worth of copyright violations but you have to
agree you are still a pirate in the eyes of the law (and MPAA).

Yawn.

Getting caught lying seems to make you sleepy

Keyser Soze June 11th 17 05:52 PM

Google is evil

On 6/11/17 12:40 PM, wrote:
[...]

You sound more and more like Trump every day. I have no illegally copied
movies, and you have no proof I do. You should stick to what you know,
which, as far as I can tell, is pretty much next to nothing.

[email protected] June 11th 17 06:37 PM

Google is evil

On Sun, 11 Jun 2017 12:52:35 -0400, Keyser Soze
wrote:

On 6/11/17 12:40 PM, wrote:
[...]

If you have movies on your server, they were illegally copied unless
you can tell me a source I am not aware of. It is a simple question.
Where did you get the movies?

Keyser Soze June 11th 17 11:03 PM

Google is evil

On 6/11/17 1:37 PM, wrote:
On Sun, 11 Jun 2017 12:52:35 -0400, Keyser Soze
wrote:

On 6/11/17 12:40 PM,
wrote:
[...]

There are perfectly legal sources with which you are not aware.

[email protected] June 12th 17 01:17 AM

Google is evil

On Sun, 11 Jun 2017 18:03:25 -0400, Keyser Soze
wrote:

On 6/11/17 1:37 PM, wrote:
On Sun, 11 Jun 2017 12:52:35 -0400, Keyser Soze
wrote:

On 6/11/17 12:40 PM,
wrote:
[...]

Secret sources? I smell bull****.
Answer the question, it is an easy one. Where did you get "hundreds"
of movies with a license to copy them?

Keyser Söze June 12th 17 01:27 AM

Google is evil

wrote:

On 6/11/17 1:37 PM, wrote:
On Sun, 11 Jun 2017 12:52:35 -0400, Keyser Soze
wrote:

On 6/11/17 12:40 PM,
wrote:
[...]

Not secret. Change your underwear. Not interested in responding to demands.

--
Posted with my iPhone 7+.

Mr. Luddite June 12th 17 01:50 AM

Google is evil

On 6/11/2017 8:17 PM, wrote:
On Sun, 11 Jun 2017 18:03:25 -0400, Keyser Soze
wrote:

On 6/11/17 1:37 PM,
wrote:
On Sun, 11 Jun 2017 12:52:35 -0400, Keyser Soze
wrote:

On 6/11/17 12:40 PM,
wrote:
[...]

I don't know the details because I've never done it but apparently
sources of movies such as Amazon allow you to download a complementary
digital copy of the movie *if* you have purchased a hardcopy (DVD).

There are also other sources for downloading digital copies such as
something called "VUDO" but again, I don't know anything about it.
Never did it.

[email protected] June 12th 17 04:25 AM

Google is evil

On Sun, 11 Jun 2017 20:50:09 -0400, "Mr. Luddite"
wrote:

On 6/11/2017 8:17 PM, wrote:
On Sun, 11 Jun 2017 18:03:25 -0400, Keyser Soze
wrote:

On 6/11/17 1:37 PM,
wrote:
On Sun, 11 Jun 2017 12:52:35 -0400, Keyser Soze
wrote:

On 6/11/17 12:40 PM,
wrote:
[...]

https://www.vudu.com/

I've never used it but apparently it works (assuming you buy the movie
from them you are supposed to get some measure of device
independence).

---
http://www.avg.com

[email protected] June 12th 17 04:50 AM

Google is evil

wrote:

I don't know the details because I've never done it but apparently
sources of movies such as Amazon allow you to download a complementary
digital copy of the movie *if* you have purchased a hardcopy (DVD).

Amazon will give you a stream if you buy the DVD but that still
resides in the cloud.

[email protected] June 12th 17 04:58 AM

Google is evil

On Sun, 11 Jun 2017 20:50:09 -0400, "Mr. Luddite"
wrote:

VUDO

That appears to be a proprietary set top box, similar to a cable
company DVR except it is net connected. If you can extract movies to
play on another device MPAA will shut them down, just like Sonic Blue.

Keyser Soze June 12th 17 05:10 PM

Google is evil

On 6/11/17 8:50 PM, Mr. Luddite wrote:
On 6/11/2017 8:17 PM, wrote:
On Sun, 11 Jun 2017 18:03:25 -0400, Keyser Soze
wrote:

On 6/11/17 1:37 PM,
wrote:
On Sun, 11 Jun 2017 12:52:35 -0400, Keyser Soze
wrote:

On 6/11/17 12:40 PM,
wrote:
[...]

And that wasn't one of the ones I had in mind... Poor
Greg...overwhelmed by and snotty about what he doesn't know. :)

[email protected] June 12th 17 06:29 PM

Google is evil

On 6/11/2017 8:17 PM, wrote:
On Sun, 11 Jun 2017 18:03:25 -0400, Keyser Soze
wrote:

On 6/11/17 1:37 PM,
wrote:
On Sun, 11 Jun 2017 12:52:35 -0400, Keyser Soze
wrote:

On 6/11/17 12:40 PM,
wrote:
[...]

When you answer with an insult, we know you are out of facts.
You still have not answered the question and I suspect it is because
you know you are a pirate. None of the examples given so far have
mitigated the copyright notice at the beginning of virtually every
movie.
Certainly there is technology that allows copying movies but MPAA's
position is that all of them are illegal.
In fact there is DRM now in the HDMI adapter and you will be blocked
from streaming a movie if you are trying to play it on a non-DRM
compliant platform. It will automatically default to SD because they
know they have no control over that data path and you can copy it
anyway.

Alex[_11_] June 13th 17 01:02 AM

Google is evil

wrote:

Wrote in message:
On Sat, 10 Jun 2017 21:15:43 -0400, Keyser Soze
wrote:

On 6/10/17 12:34 PM,
wrote:
On Sat, 10 Jun 2017 11:30:52 -0400, Keyser Soze
wrote:

On 6/10/17 10:50 AM,
wrote:
[...]

Netflix has a very limited library of downloadable movies. It's great
for travel with a tablet.

[email protected] June 13th 17 01:59 AM

Google is evil

On Mon, 12 Jun 2017 20:02:44 -0400, Alex wrote:

Netflix has a very limited library of downloadable movies. It's great
for travel with a tablet.

You can load a movie on a supported device using their software to
play it but you are not putting it on your server without using some
kind of "pirate" software. It is similar to how the DVR from the
Cable/Satellite company works. The last time I looked, nobody was
bragging about a way to get your stored movies off of the DVR that
would play on anything but the DVR. (even illegally). I would not be
surprised if someone cracks the encryption tho.

[email protected] June 13th 17 02:25 AM

Google is evil

On Mon, 12 Jun 2017 20:02:44 -0400, Alex wrote:

Netflix has a very limited library of downloadable movies. It's great
for travel with a tablet.

BTW this is what the ULA says about it

"You agree to use the Netflix service, including all features and
functionalities associated therewith, in accordance with all
applicable laws, rules and regulations, or other restrictions on use
of the service or content therein. Except as explicitly authorized in
these Terms of Use, you agree not to archive, download (other than
through caching necessary for personal use), reproduce, distribute,
modify, display, perform, publish, license, create derivative works
from, offer for sale, or use content and information contained on or
obtained from or through the Netflix service without express written
permission from Netflix and its licensors."

If you have a Netflix movie on your server, you are a pirate.

We are ticking them off and Harry still has not answered how he has
hundreds of movies spinning in oxide without being a pirate.

Keyser Söze June 13th 17 02:36 AM

Google is evil

wrote:
[...]

Heh heh heh. Another of your much ado about nothing posts. I feel no
compulsion to satisfy your perseverations.

--
Posted with my iPhone 7+.

[email protected] June 13th 17 03:20 AM

Google is evil

On Mon, 12 Jun 2017 21:36:58 -0400, Keyser Söze

[...]

It is quite simply that you told us all you had hundreds of "legal"
movies on your server and I called you on it. Now you want to kick
over the table and run away from that statement.

Is it that hard to admit you are just another pirate.
****, your boat was named Yo Ho (as in "Yo ho, a pirate's life is me")
;-)

Keyser Söze June 13th 17 03:26 AM

Google is evil

wrote:
[...]

Named after our favorite ride at WDW.

--
Posted with my iPhone 7+.

Bill[_12_] June 13th 17 04:10 AM

Google is evil

wrote:

Wrote in message:
On Sat, 10 Jun 2017 21:15:43 -0400, Keyser Soze
wrote:

On 6/10/17 12:34 PM,
wrote:
On Sat, 10 Jun 2017 11:30:52 -0400, Keyser Soze
wrote:

On 6/10/17 10:50 AM,
wrote:
[...]

But they are only good for a few days after first viewing.

[email protected] June 13th 17 06:22 AM

Google is evil

On Mon, 12 Jun 2017 22:26:02 -0400, Keyser Söze

It is quite simply that you told us all you had hundreds of "legal"
movies on your server and I called you on it. Now you want to kick
over the table and run away from that statement.

Is it that hard to admit you are just another pirate.
****, your boat was named Yo Ho (as in "Yo ho, a pirate's life is me")
;-)

Named after our favorite ride at WDW.

"We download and borrow and rent'm and rip,
We read all the warnings and don't give a ****
Yo ho, Yo ho a pirate's for me!"

[email protected] June 13th 17 06:29 AM

Google is evil

On Tue, 13 Jun 2017 03:10:50 -0000 (UTC), Bill
wrote:

wrote:

Wrote in message:
On Sat, 10 Jun 2017 21:15:43 -0400, Keyser Soze
wrote:

On 6/10/17 12:34 PM,
wrote:
On Sat, 10 Jun 2017 11:30:52 -0400, Keyser Soze
wrote:

On 6/10/17 10:50 AM,
wrote:
[...]

I took a few minutes to read the ULAs from Netflix, Vudu, Amazon,
Hulu, HBO Go and a few others. The language is strikingly similar. You
can't "Copy, reproduce or archive" on any of them legally. I suspect
it is straight from the MPAA's lawyers.
Same goes for ripping your DVDs.
I am not saying it can't be done but call yourself a pirate and be
proud.

Keyser Soze June 13th 17 12:41 PM

Google is evil

wrote:

wrote:

Wrote in message:
On Sat, 10 Jun 2017 21:15:43 -0400, Keyser Soze
wrote:

On 6/10/17 12:34 PM,
wrote:
On Sat, 10 Jun 2017 11:30:52 -0400, Keyser Soze
wrote:

On 6/10/17 10:50 AM,
wrote:
[...]

Crikey, you might want to consider doing something useful. Doesn't
someone in your neighborhood need a tiki bar? Perhaps if you tried less
hard and weren't so snotty about it, I might have given you the info you
so desperately desire. Not a chance now.