Walt

Default Tacking at the Mark

Reading over the rules I'm puzzled by something:

The preamble to rule 18 says that the inside boat is entitled to room to
tack if it's a normal part of the manoeuver, but 18.1b says that rule 18
is inapplicable when the proper course of either boat is to tack.
(actual text quoted below)

So when is tacking a normal manoeuver that would be covered by rule 18?
Can anybody cite a situation where rule 18 applies and tacking is a
normal part of the manoeuvere? Otherwise, it seems that the provision
in the preamble is never relevant. Or am I missing something?

Preamble to rule 18

In rule 18, room is room for an inside boat to round or
pass between an outside boat and a mark or obstruction,
including room to tack or gybe when either is a normal
part of the manoeuvre.

Rule 18.1 (b) says that rule 18 doesn't apply

between boats on opposite tacks, either on a beat to
windward or when the proper course for one or both of
them to round or pass the mark or obstruction is to tack.

--
//-Walt
//
glgxg

Walt wrote:
[...]

This might help:

www.sailing.org/rrs2001/casebk2001to04.pdf

and

http://noyc.org/drrulesq.shtml
http://www.ussailing.org/merchandise...oduct_id=71029

Edward Fryer

"Walt" wrote in message

[...]

The thing to remember is that 18.1b applies to boats on opposite tacks. When
both boats are on the same tack, the preamble indicates that the inside boat
has a right to room to tack if that is part of the course: e.g, on a round
the bouys race, reaching towards a mark, tacking round and then setting off
upwind.

-Ed

Walt

Walt wrote:

Reading over the rules I'm puzzled by something:

The preamble to rule 18 says that the inside boat is entitled to room to
tack if it's a normal part of the manoeuver, but 18.1b says that rule 18
is inapplicable when the proper course of either boat is to tack.
(actual text quoted below)

So when is tacking a normal manoeuver that would be covered by rule 18?

Actually the only thing that's puzzling is my inability to read. Rule
18.1b only covers boats on opposite tacks. When boats are on the same
tack rule 18 *does* apply and it makes sense to talk about the inside
boat being given room to tack.

My appologies if I've wasted anyones time.

Can anybody cite a situation where rule 18 applies and tacking is a
normal part of the manoeuvere?

Example: two overlapped port tack boats approaching a windward mark to
be left to port.

Otherwise, it seems that the provision
in the preamble is never relevant. Or am I missing something?

Just a few brain cells...

--
//-Walt
//
glgxg

Edward Fryer wrote:
"Walt" wrote in message

[...]

And here is an illustration that might help also:

http://makeashorterlink.com/?T2C7416D5

(ISAF Q&A 107)

Gary Gardina

Walt wrote:

My appologies if I've wasted anyones time.

No time wasted here... by looking up a reply I learned something in the
process as well :-)

glgxg

Walt wrote:

My appologies if I've wasted anyones time.

No time wasted here... I learned a few things while looking up a
response :-)

FS: CAL 35 Mark II in FL Loran Raul Marketplace 0 May 16th 04 03:58 PM
Mercury Mark 58,piston question Clams Canino General 1 May 2nd 04 08:58 PM
FS: Catalina 22 Mark II RR General 1 July 21st 03 04:06 PM
Timing on Mercury Mark 58A [for a friend] Ignoramus14756 General 2 July 13th 03 01:39 AM