Rick Barner

Default Close-Hauled?

A question came up about rule 13 this weekend. I cannot find a reference
in the RRS 2001-2004 or the case book that defines "Close-Hauled". Is it
determined by the Main, the Jib neither?

I read an article that states close hauled has nothing to do with sail trim,
just the course you are sailing.

Any takers?

Jim

On Mon, 11 Aug 2003 17:02:51 -0400, "Rick Barner"
wrote:

A question came up about rule 13 this weekend. I cannot find a reference
in the RRS 2001-2004 or the case book that defines "Close-Hauled". Is it
determined by the Main, the Jib neither?

I read an article that states close hauled has nothing to do with sail trim,
just the course you are sailing.

Any takers?

Neither. It is determined by the direction that the boat is pointing,
regardless of the sheeting of the sails or motion through the water.
See Case 17.

Jim Williams
Catalina 38
Checks in the Mail