Default YouTube - Building the Workboat Skiff - Episode 36

True North wrote:
Y'all sure are a weak wristed bunch.
I only use half inch drills but drill smaller holes and then enlarge,
especially when using spade bits.
When drilling holes through framing lumber I use my long auger type
bits...like the electricians do.

Drilling steel.

On Fri, 14 Apr 2017 16:56:42 -0400,
wrote:

On Fri, 14 Apr 2017 15:15:47 -0400,
wrote:

On Fri, 14 Apr 2017 14:22:30 -0400,

wrote:

On Fri, 14 Apr 2017 11:16:32 -0400, "Mr. Luddite"
wrote:

Bandsaws are relatively well behaved compared to table saws, jointers,
routers, shapers, etc. You do have to watch where your fingers are of
course but I've never had a bandsaw violently pick up a piece of wood
and fling it the way some of the other tools will.

I have been banged up by my drill press as bad as anything when things
work their way out of the vice and start spinning around.
http://gfretwell.com/ftp/finger%20wound.jpg

===

Nasty!

I have a fairly large cross slide vice securely clamped to the table
of my drill press just to prevent that sort of thing. I had a few
close calls prior however. The cross slide vice also creates a big
improvement in functionality, allowing the drill press to be used as
an ersatz milling machine for small work.

https://www.mscdirect.com/product/details/63496012

Mine is over a shop vice but the work piece just got loose. ****
happens I guess

On Fri, 14 Apr 2017 22:04:48 -0000 (UTC), Bill

On Fri, 14 Apr 2017 08:26:14 -0400,
wrote:

For those of you who have been following this fascinating series, the
project is nearing completion. In this episode Lou offers up some
tips on how to properly align drilled holes in thick material.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TvTh0SDHvZQ&feature=youtu.be

Lou announces that he plans to sell the completed boat on EBAY. It
will be interesting to see what it goes for.

It looks like he is overdue for a new drill or at least a sharpening.
That dude was smoking a might.

I wish I had a monster band saw like that one he uses but it's not
going to happen.

I had my hand on a nice one at an auction in Ft Myers that ended up
going for a little over $100 but I really did not have a place for it
so I did not bid. I could have had a great deal from Henc on his 1
meter bed metal lathe but I had the same problem.
I would have made room for the CnC but he wasn't selling it.

Build a pole barn on the property.

That is the problem for a tiki bar builder like me. I am running out
of property. That is why I tried to buy the house next door. I was
going to make it a shop. I am still kicking myself for not coming up
with the extra 12 grand (last bid) but I am not sure the bid was going
to stop there and it is really a tear down.

On Fri, 14 Apr 2017 18:55:35 -0700 (PDT), True North
wrote:

Y'all sure are a weak wristed bunch.
I only use half inch drills but drill smaller holes and then enlarge, especially when using spade bits.
When drilling holes through framing lumber I use my long auger type bits...like the electricians do.

When you are up on a ladder, your wrist is not the issue. The only
issue then is figuring out soon enough that this is not going to end
well and turning a fall into a jump.

On Fri, 14 Apr 2017 18:55:35 -0700 (PDT), True North wrote:

Y'all sure are a weak wristed bunch.
I only use half inch drills but drill smaller holes and then enlarge, especially when using spade bits.
When drilling holes through framing lumber I use my long auger type bits...like the electricians do.

Does pushing mops and scrubbing toilets build up your wrist muscles, Donnee? Or do you do other
exercises for that?

This is another example of reaping what you sow. There was no need for the first sentence of your
post.

On 4/14/2017 9:55 PM, True North wrote:
Y'all sure are a weak wristed bunch.
I only use half inch drills but drill smaller holes and then enlarge, especially when using spade bits.
When drilling holes through framing lumber I use my long auger type bits...like the electricians do.

In my case with the Milwaukee drill, that's exactly what I was doing
except it had a 1/2 inch chuck. I was using an auger bit. It just
jammed in one of the holes and the drill spun around and nearly broke my
wrist.

On Sat, 15 Apr 2017 07:33:18 -0400, "Mr. Luddite"
wrote:

On 4/14/2017 9:55 PM, True North wrote:
Y'all sure are a weak wristed bunch.
I only use half inch drills but drill smaller holes and then enlarge, especially when using spade bits.
When drilling holes through framing lumber I use my long auger type bits...like the electricians do.

In my case with the Milwaukee drill, that's exactly what I was doing
except it had a 1/2 inch chuck. I was using an auger bit. It just
jammed in one of the holes and the drill spun around and nearly broke my
wrist.

===

I have one of those half inch Milwaukee hammer drills also. Great
tool but an awesome amount of torque transmitted back when, not if, it
jams up. I had it happen recently when drilling my concrete pool deck
with a 1 1/8 masonary bit. My problem was not fully tightening the
forward handle, allowing the whole tool to totate inside the
attachment ring. I was lucky not to get banged up worse than I did.

wrote:

[...]

I have an assortment of 1/2" drills I have accumulated over the years.
Some, like the hammer drills go pretty fast. I also have two that go
slow but will not stall. Those are the ones I use with ship augers.
Wrists have little to do with it. If that drill jams, it will lift me
off the ground. You really have to stand in a way that you can absorb
a half revolution or more that it turns after you get off the trigger.

On Friday, April 14, 2017 at 6:55:37 PM UTC-7, True North wrote:
Y'all sure are a weak wristed bunch.
I only use half inch drills but drill smaller holes and then enlarge, especially when using spade bits.
When drilling holes through framing lumber I use my long auger type bits...like the electricians do.

Why on earth would you predrill a hole for a spade bit? Defeats the purpose of using a spade bit. Thats just plain stupid.