Default YouTube - Building the Workboat Skiff - Episode 36

On Fri, 14 Apr 2017 11:16:32 -0400, "Mr. Luddite"
wrote:

On 4/14/2017 9:58 AM, wrote:
On Fri, 14 Apr 2017 09:13:15 -0400, Poco Deplorevole
wrote:

On Fri, 14 Apr 2017 08:26:14 -0400,
wrote:

For those of you who have been following this fascinating series, the
project is nearing completion. In this episode Lou offers up some
tips on how to properly align drilled holes in thick material.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TvTh0SDHvZQ&feature=youtu.be

Lou announces that he plans to sell the completed boat on EBAY. It
will be interesting to see what it goes for.

I wish I had a monster band saw like that one he uses but it's not
going to happen.

Wow. The guy has some great tips. I would have clamped a piece of scrap to the back of the transom
to keep it from splitting out when the bit came through. I was surprised that he didn't do that.

===

I agree but since he was going to counterbore the hole, some small
splitting wouldn't have mattered. This boat is going to end up being
the Cadillac of all work skiffs.

If I ever used that bandsaw I'd have 7 or 8 fingers left when the boat
was done.

===

Bandsaws are relatively well behaved compared to table saws, jointers,
routers, shapers, etc. You do have to watch where your fingers are of
course but I've never had a bandsaw violently pick up a piece of wood
and fling it the way some of the other tools will.

On 4/14/2017 2:22 PM, wrote:
On Fri, 14 Apr 2017 11:16:32 -0400, "Mr. Luddite"
wrote:

wrote:

[...]

I think the worst powered tool I've used was a large, Milwaukee hammer
drill motor. I was drilling holes in the framing of a shed I built to
run romex and the bit got stuck. The drill motor had the horizontal side
handle on it and the damn thing spun around and smashed it into my
wrist. Thought for sure it was broken.

On 4/14/2017 3:15 PM, wrote:
On Fri, 14 Apr 2017 14:22:30 -0400,

wrote:

Bandsaws are relatively well behaved compared to table saws, jointers,
routers, shapers, etc. You do have to watch where your fingers are of
course but I've never had a bandsaw violently pick up a piece of wood
and fling it the way some of the other tools will.

I have been banged up by my drill press as bad as anything when things
work their way out of the vice and start spinning around.
http://gfretwell.com/ftp/finger%20wound.jpg

Yup. Done that too. When I had the business I used to like to
occasionally use some of the machine shop equipment for "home projects".
Always got the machinists nervous when they saw me walking out in the
shop with a hunk of metal in my hand. They usually just asked, "what do
you want me to do to it" and took it away from me.

On Fri, 14 Apr 2017 15:22:44 -0400, "Mr. Luddite"
wrote:

I think the worst powered tool I've used was a large, Milwaukee hammer
drill motor. I was drilling holes in the framing of a shed I built to
run romex and the bit got stuck. The drill motor had the horizontal side
handle on it and the damn thing spun around and smashed it into my
wrist. Thought for sure it was broken.

I was thrown off a ladder once when my big drill jammed a 3/4" ship
auger but no real injury. I know how to fall ;-)

wrote:

Bandsaws are relatively well behaved compared to table saws, jointers,
routers, shapers, etc. You do have to watch where your fingers are of
course but I've never had a bandsaw violently pick up a piece of wood
and fling it the way some of the other tools will.

I have been banged up by my drill press as bad as anything when things
work their way out of the vice and start spinning around.
http://gfretwell.com/ftp/finger%20wound.jpg

===

Nasty!

I have a fairly large cross slide vice securely clamped to the table
of my drill press just to prevent that sort of thing. I had a few
close calls prior however. The cross slide vice also creates a big
improvement in functionality, allowing the drill press to be used as
an ersatz milling machine for small work.

https://www.mscdirect.com/product/details/63496012

Mr. Luddite wrote:
On 4/14/2017 2:22 PM, wrote:
On Fri, 14 Apr 2017 11:16:32 -0400, "Mr. Luddite"
wrote:

wrote:

[...]

At NCR we had a 1/4" Milwaukee drill. Was the same size and power as a
large 1/2" drill. When it got stuck, just let go as it was going to rip
out of your hands anyway.

Y'all sure are a weak wristed bunch.
I only use half inch drills but drill smaller holes and then enlarge, especially when using spade bits.
When drilling holes through framing lumber I use my long auger type bits...like the electricians do.